Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The beautiful people of the 40s weren't the same as the general population though lol. Same as now with the thin models not showing what the general population is like.
    You would think that women would want models which are representative of themselves really, thus you would imagine the 40s would've had slimmer models, and today would have larger models.

Perhaps the moral of this story is that women are never happy, and will always want to be what they're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guffy)
    ...Perhaps the moral of this story is that women are never happy, and will always want to be what they're not.
    Woo story of my life :p:

(Original post by Guffy)
    You would think that women would want models which are representative of themselves really, thus you would imagine the 40s would've had slimmer models, and today would have larger models.

Perhaps the moral of this story is that women are never happy, and will always want to be what they're not.
    I think you're right there.

ReputationRep:
    Every magazine I pick up is telling me that because I don't have curves I'm not a 'real woman' that 'nobody wants to sleep with a bag of bones,' and 'if we wanted to go to bed with something hard and bony we'd stick with our hands.'

I'm really depressed that I can't put on weight. I don't feel feminine or sexy because noone would ever find me attractive, and I'm not menstruating properly.

Does anyone else feel like this?
    dont be ridiculas. yes you get the odd bit in a magasine telling us that nicole richie/linsey lohan looks awful and how men like curves. but as long as your bigger than a 4 none of those comments apply to you. If you read the rest of the magasine you will find the bit about how charlotte church has gotten "fat" at a size 14. tbh who cares, just get a life and stop reading bad magasines. as long as your eating properly then you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I like all sorts of women, skinny or not...

"Purchè porti la gonnella, voi sapete quel che fà" -- Mozart's Don Giovanni

ReputationRep:
    Every magazine I pick up is telling me that because I don't have curves I'm not a 'real woman' that 'nobody wants to sleep with a bag of bones,' and 'if we wanted to go to bed with something hard and bony we'd stick with our hands.'

I'm really depressed that I can't put on weight. I don't feel feminine or sexy because noone would ever find me attractive, and I'm not menstruating properly.

Does anyone else feel like this?
    Awwwww it's alright :hugs: those magazines hit everyone including 'curvy women who are more feminine' :rolleyes: - Charlotte Church for example....says she has to diet as she's too fat :rolleyes: If you find it hard that you cannot put on weight, go have a chat with your doctor it might be an underlying problem and you also could have a chat about your depression as well - talking about it does help.

But once again onto femininity. It doesn't matter exactly how skinny/curvy you are, its how you present yourself in mannerisms, dress sense and personality - Everyone's different and one rule never applies for the majority of people. Keep your head up high and don't let magazines like that get you down, it's not worth the pain or anguish.

If you want you can PM me and we can chat about it?

(Original post by TomX)
    You can put on weight, you just need to eat more.
    That is easlier said than done....

But honestly, people like you who are skinny have high metabulism.. You should be happy about that Do you know how many people would like to have that? that is an advatage, And I know people who has high metab. want the opposite so I know what is like..
    There is nothing wrong with not having curves, some of those who has them want to get rid of them, People with straight hair want curly and the opposite, and so on......
    There is always something for everyone.. Just be happy with the way you are its probably not that bad,. but people with insecureties think it is worse than it is..

Btw have you tried gainer?

And IF IF IF, there is always prastic surgery, which people do so much nowadays so....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    You can put on weight, you just need to eat more.
    err...I'm afraid this doesn't work. I eat all the time and always eat loads of protein and carbs and I never put on weight. It all depends on one's metabolic rate. I'm a guy and I'm proud to be skinny :p: ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucho22)
    err...I'm afraid this doesn't work. I eat all the time and always eat loads of protein and carbs and I never put on weight. It all depends on one's metabolic rate. I'm a guy and I'm proud to be skinny :p: ....
    Ummmm, yes, it does work. If you're not gaining weight you need to eat more.

You may need to intake sufficiently more calories than other people, but you will still be able to gain weight if you eat enough.

You can't possibly imagine you would fail to gain weight on 10,000 calories per day, for example?

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with being skinny-trust me-now ive got curves all over the place-and i prefer my skinny old self

ReputationRep:
    that is true.. However it is not that easy to eat and eat and eat until you're completely full that you can almost throw up, know what I'm saying?
    Eating beyond normal is'nt that easy either

(Original post by Guffy)
    Ummmm, yes, it does work. If you're not gaining weight you need to eat more.

You may need to intake sufficiently more calories than other people, but you will still be able to gain weight if you eat enough.

You can't possibly imagine you would fail to gain weight on 10,000 calories per day, for example?

I also hate being skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wazzz)
    that is true.. However it is not that easy to eat and eat and eat until you're completely full that you can almost throw up, know what I'm saying?
    neither is it healthy. just eat when you are hungry and wehter your trying to lose or gain weight just do it slowly insted of expecting miracles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by high priestess fnord)
    neither is it healthy. just eat when you are hungry and wehter your trying to lose or gain weight just do it slowly insted of expecting miracles
    exactly, don't push it, it is not good to eat to much,. people watch extreme make over (people who's gaining) and say Ooo I wish I could do that, Eeh No you don't! haha It is really hard to eat when you are allready full..
    Instead, Take it slow, slowly get your body used to eating larger ammounts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wazzz)
    Speak for yourself. I could quite happily stuff my face all day every day if my body wouldn't suffer. Unfortunately, it would.

My point was merely to clarify that physiologically it is no more impossible for you to gain weight than it is anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guffy)
    I think it's sad when larger women feel bitter that slimmer of women set the standard of beauty in the media.
    Meow...
    Interesting that that's how you interpretted my comments.

ReputationRep:
    Wish people would stop idolising crackpots in magazines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General Mullet)
    they should idolise me instead *nods*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General Mullet)
    But then people would get bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_person)
    But then people would get bored
    no one could get bored idolising me XD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.