Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am studying for the SAT general requirement test for January, and I was wondering if anyone could help me mark my essay question.

The question is as follows -- 'Should people take more responsibility for solving problems that affect their communities or the nation in general? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support you position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.'

I this that the answer is supposed to be around a page long, and that is how much I have written.

Thanks for any help.

Here it is...
    {I think that it is pivotal that people play a greater role in solving their nation’s problems. We have seen countless times that it takes one person rather than a large body to achieve a change, and so it is time for us to recognise this and take action.

Everyday, people blame the government on their problems, be it tax, or work, or child care. However, they need to realise that the government is not the omnipotent body they believe it to be. It is one which is constantly harassed by opposition, such as rival parties or protest groups, which makes it very tedious and difficult to achieve anything.
    Take the terrorist threat in the UK for example. The government rightly wants to punish these murderers by deporting them and sending them to prison. However, even on this matter, it faces constant protest from human rights activist, who call the government’s actions inhumane. This cripples the government, and prevents it from taking any action.

This is the reason why need more people to step up and voice their concerns. The government is not a babysitter for the country’s population, but rather an advisor. Without the decision makers (the people), it cannot achieve anything. And so it is vital that more and more people step up and take charge.

This is not an implausible suggestion. We have seen countless greats fight for what they felt was right. Take Gandhi for example. He proved that one man can challenge and defeat a government that was almost 200 years old. Another example is Matin Luther King, who fought for the civil right of black people. Finally, there is Mother Teresa, who managed to achieve what an entire country could not, by providing unparalleled charity for the poor. We fail to notice that it is not the government, but rather the people with the revolutionary ideas and courage that really bring about the changes in society.

Admittedly, it is very challenging to stand up for one’s beliefs in front of the entire world. However, we can still play an important role. The vast improvements in communications means that we can voice our concerns very quickly to a very large audience.}

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.