Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Anyone else not going to uni straight after 6th form? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even finish my UCAS application because im really unsure of what I want to do. I hate two of the subjects im doing at a level now, and I don't really want to study the other one at a higher level. I am very inexperienced and I think I need to understand the courses more before I choose them - I dont want to make the same mistake as I did when I picked my a levels. I wish I did a science but its too late now unless I did an equivalent at a tech college but who actually cares about equivalents?? So yeah I think I need a year off, maybe to do an extra course and get a job and get a better idea of what I wanna do in my life. Im jealous of people who always wanted to be the same thing and never change their minds. I wanna try everything first and then seewhat iI like the most. Anyone else in the same boat or has any advice? Would really appreciate a response

ReputationRep:
    Take some time!! Honestly, I took four years off because of indecision, worked a lot of jobs (mostly ****ty but all experience!) and travelled around. I also read a **** ton of books, which really prepared me for my English degree which I'm currently doing (year 3 of 4); I LOVE my course, seriously love it, and I appreciate it so much more than a lot of people in my class who went straight from school to Uni, because I know how much more interesting it is than waiting tables 40 hours a week or working in an office answering phones. I also thinks it helps people who have been somewhat sheltered in life - people who have never worked **** jobs will never understand how character-building they are, and people who have never lived anywhere but their home town will never be able to form a true opinion of where they want to live or what they want to do.

I realise this advice might not be for everyone. [But I secretly believe it is]. I went to Uni straight after school and left after 3 months; now I'm back at Uni and I appreciate it so much more this time around. My brother quit college after a couple of months and is an amazing chef (which is what he studied at college originally) and he has travelled and lived in so many different places. I honestly don't understand why more people don't take a break between school and Uni. And if you're the type of person who leaves school to work and realises they enjoy working more than education (like my little brother), then I think that's telling you something.

Just to let you know, when I first left Uni, I was really disheartened because I felt like a failure. But with hindsight, I can see it was all for the best. My advice is not to worry too much, do what you want to do! You can always change it if it doesn't work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LannaBanana)
    Take some time!! Honestly, I took four years off because of indecision, worked a lot of jobs (mostly ****ty but all experience!) and travelled around. I also read a **** ton of books, which really prepared me for my English degree which I'm currently doing (year 3 of 4); I LOVE my course, seriously love it, and I appreciate it so much more than a lot of people in my class who went straight from school to Uni, because I know how much more interesting it is than waiting tables 40 hours a week or working in an office answering phones. I also thinks it helps people who have been somewhat sheltered in life - people who have never worked **** jobs will never understand how character-building they are, and people who have never lived anywhere but their home town will never be able to form a true opinion of where they want to live or what they want to do.

I realise this advice might not be for everyone. [But I secretly believe it is]. I went to Uni straight after school and left after 3 months; now I'm back at Uni and I appreciate it so much more this time around. My brother quit college after a couple of months and is an amazing chef (which is what he studied at college originally) and he has travelled and lived in so many different places. I honestly don't understand why more people don't take a break between school and Uni. And if you're the type of person who leaves school to work and realises they enjoy working more than education (like my little brother), then I think that's telling you something.

Just to let you know, when I first left Uni, I was really disheartened because I felt like a failure. But with hindsight, I can see it was all for the best. My advice is not to worry too much, do what you want to do! You can always change it if it doesn't work out.
    Wow thanks so much lannabanana! Now I feel a lot better about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seventhdemon)
    I didn't even finish my UCAS application because im really unsure of what I want to do. I hate two of the subjects im doing at a level now, and I don't really want to study the other one at a higher level. I am very inexperienced and I think I need to understand the courses more before I choose them - I dont want to make the same mistake as I did when I picked my a levels. I wish I did a science but its too late now unless I did an equivalent at a tech college but who actually cares about equivalents?? So yeah I think I need a year off, maybe to do an extra course and get a job and get a better idea of what I wanna do in my life. Im jealous of people who always wanted to be the same thing and never change their minds. I wanna try everything first and then seewhat iI like the most. Anyone else in the same boat or has any advice? Would really appreciate a response
    I was in the same boat.
    I went to college to do a level 3 course there.
    It can be hard when everyone else is getting ready to go to uni. Especially since the head of my old 6th form was like- uni this and uni that.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.