Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anyone else really detest family gatherings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate going to them, it's the older generation that are the most problematic, I mean I've got different views to them & on stuff like religion & am culturally different. Their views also seem to be quite backwards & I just find them boring to be around. It's just a pain when my parents really want me to go to one tbh, I always dread it :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who doesn't conform to social norms probably detests family gatherings too
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I love it!:jive:

ReputationRep:
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm not a fan either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup I prefer my own company to be perfectly honest

ReputationRep:
    sometimes, i like catching up but therell always be someone who makes you uncomfortable or insults you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I hate going to them, it's the older generation that are the most problematic, I mean I've got different views to them & on stuff like religion & am culturally different. Their views also seem to be quite backwards & I just find them boring to be around. It's just a pain when my parents really want me to go to one tbh, I always dread it :grumble:
    I got different views on stuff to then my family, but I don't hate being around some of them, some of them are funny, some of them I can find i can relate to though, there like me different.

ReputationRep:
    It depends who in my family I'm with.

Sometimes I love it...

Sometimes I absolutely hate it...

ReputationRep:
    Lol I totally get what you mean. Overall I'm very different from my family and my extended family in terms of interests/personality. I'm also different culturally, question the norms and spontaneous so yeah I'm just the opposite haha. I think I'm the only one who is vocal and will stand my ground when going against the norms or views. Its a shame but at the end of the day I want to be myself. I haven't been to gatherings with my extended family in a while now.

ReputationRep:
    100%

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been to one in years.

ReputationRep:
    Not always easy but they're still family right?

ReputationRep:
    Up to grandparents is fine, provided my grandma remembers when to not start an argument.

Not a fan when it includes more extended family. Mainly because I don't really know them and the conversation tends to be tedious.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, don't exaggerate

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from the UK, so whenever I return to my home country (gonna happen again in a few days ), I end up meeting people I don't know (but who'm I would know had I live there). So for me its especially bad (and boring), having to listen to old people talk about stuff I don't know about and don't care about.
    IMO, the worst part is that society dictates that you have to be polite, so I can't do any revision, read a book or play some Clash of Clans whilst I'm there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    I'm not from the UK, so whenever I return to my home country (gonna happen again in a few days ), I end up meeting people I don't know (but who'm I would know had I live there). So for me its especially bad (and boring), having to listen to old people talk about stuff I don't know about and don't care about.
    IMO, the worst part is that society dictates that you have to be polite, so I can't do any revision, read a book or play some Clash of Clans whilst I'm there
    It's exactly the same for me, but at this point I just gave up on being 100% polite. After a few hours of incredible boredom at the table I just say I've got mocks to revise for and do a past paper in another room. Much better than sitting with people I don't know or don't necessarily like very much. In fact that's what I'm doing right now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria98)
    Much better than sitting with people I don't know or don't necessarily like very much. In fact that's what I'm doing right now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck with that 'revision' lol.

I have a threshold too, but it fluctuates alot dependant on who I'm with.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes it infuriates me so much. You have to get dressed up and see a dozen people you barely even recognise, be given the annual pretentious talk about "how you've grown" or "why aren't you eating that" and have to talk to people whilst trying to eat your christmas dinner

ReputationRep:
    I prefer just using my time on investing in myself. Whether it may be, reading a book, extending my knowledge from class subject by subject or just perhaps just training in the gym.

Family gatherings are "ok" once in a blue moon; However, I do acknowledge the older generation do tend to drag the social durations further. Not everybody can afford to spend their time just like that, especially if they in a job or chasing their dream goal.

^ IMO.

Success is gained by working while others are relaxing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.