Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student trying to apply myself in Oxford University for my Masters hopefully after graduating from my current University in the Middle East.

Im questioning whether my qualifications are met with Oxfords requirements.

In Singapore, my home country, i graduated from a private school and received a Pre-University cert in Arabic and Islamic studies (instead of A levels) and excelled getting 4 Excellent and 6 Very Good grades.

But still not up to par with those that i'll be competing with to get into the department that i'm eyeing for; Oriental Studies.

They are asking for A Level results and as i mentioned, i only have Pre-U and my current Graduate cert so can i still apply myself?

and even if, do i have a chance of getting in?

Thank you. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faazmi)
    I'm an international student trying to apply myself in Oxford University for my Masters hopefully after graduating from my current University in the Middle East.

Im questioning whether my qualifications are met with Oxfords requirements.

In Singapore, my home country, i graduated from a private school and received a Pre-University cert in Arabic and Islamic studies (instead of A levels) and excelled getting 4 Excellent and 6 Very Good grades.

But still not up to par with those that i'll be competing with to get into the department that i'm eyeing for; Oriental Studies.

They are asking for A Level results and as i mentioned, i only have Pre-U and my current Graduate cert so can i still apply myself?

and even if, do i have a chance of getting in?

Thank you. ☺️
    I've never heard of those qualifications (did the Singapore A levels ), so I imagine your best bet is to get in touch with Oxford admissions directly and check whether they will be suitable. At any rate though, I imagine that since you're applying for a postgraduate course, your undergraduate results would be most relevant.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? Do i ever have a chance of getting accepted? Realistically. Because i wouldn't want to waste all of my money and effort trying out for a particular University and ending up getting rejected. I wouldn't mind trying, yes, but you see Asians (and I'm a Singaporean) we're not that loaded with money and Europe is one of the most expensive countries. But if knowing that i do have quite a chance, i wouldn't mind putting in all my money as well. Just that, no one i've ever known from my background has ever even tried to apply for Universities like Oxford, nor even thought of to begin with.

Sincerely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faazmi)
    What do you think? Do i ever have a chance of getting accepted? Realistically. Because i wouldn't want to waste all of my money and effort trying out for a particular University and ending up getting rejected. I wouldn't mind trying, yes, but you see Asians (and I'm a Singaporean) we're not that loaded with money and Europe is one of the most expensive countries. But if knowing that i do have quite a chance, i wouldn't mind putting in all my money as well. Just that, no one i've ever known from my background has ever even tried to apply for Universities like Oxford, nor even thought of to begin with.

Sincerely
    Like I said, your qualifications are unconventional and I've never heard of them before (I'm guessing you went to a madrasah?), so just drop Oxford Admissions an email (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/ask), explain your circumstances, and ask them whether they think you'd make a competitive application. You'll be able to get an authoritative answer straight from the horse's mouth. There's no point for me to speculate because I simply don't know any details of your qualification (although it sounds like it's fairly related to the postgraduate degree you want at any rate).

Also, it doesn't cost that much to submit an application (something like 100-150 SGD when I applied for postgrad last cycle?), so in truth, you wouldn't be putting an awful lot of money in until you've actually been offered a place, and you accepted (in which case you'll be asked to fill out a financial form confirming you have sufficient funds). I'm not sure how applying can be construed as a massive waste of money (aside from the application fee maybe, which is minimal compared to what you'd be paying as a student) and effort - are you ruling out all other universities for postgrad altogether? Masters apps can be recycled across applications if the courses you're applying for are similar, and in any case, it doesn't take an awful lot of time to put together an application.

Realistically, I think that for postgraduate admissions, the tutors are more likely to focus on your undergraduate performance (they ask for a first class equivalent; see http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/gradu...iental-studies), so as long as you're doing well and your qualification matches the requirements (not sure how Middle Eastern universities are regarded so check NARIC: http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/), I don't see why not.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.