Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Am I more than the grades that I achieve? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niya_1995)
    Nope, I spent a year studying AS levels then had a year off due to personal recovery then the following year I studied a btec and now I'm ready to tackle the A2's.
    Ooh good luck! to be honest all btec students could never complain about the statement as it's naturally easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joyful_soul)
    How else can I define and feel better about myself if my academia, at this time, isn't impressive?

I think usually people who do not have the grades others think are excellent find they have some sort of other attributes which, in the long run, are all about drive and character.

A good character, honest and hard working people are much better to be around than brain boxes who hold themselves in too high regard IMO

Look at the people who are entrepreneurs, the majority of them didn't have formal educational backgrounds, degrees etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    No not really!Just for universities!
    Best answer and for yourself !! Your grades go on your cv ...with you for life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    Did you get help with the anxiety and depression? If so, how did you go about it? Mine isn't very serious but sometimes I think I should do something about it, but it isn't in my personality to do something about it....
    I'll PM you about it. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Grades aren't everything. However, its a good starting point. Grades show work ethic. There's a reason why there's a correlation with grades/uni and what people achieve in life.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not just grades, you need good UMS too.

Seriously though you can measure your self-worth in other ways. You just need to find what's important to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    How did you improve your grades? Did you resit year or resit a whole load of modules?
    Although it sounds horrible, I'm glad that I'm not the only one to be going through this.
    Both, unfortunately - and with no January 2014 exams, I ended up with about 14 exams in the summer. Somehow I managed to cope with it, although I still can't help wondering if I'd have done better had I not been doing so many.

Happy where I am though, so I don't tend to dwell on it often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crydamoure)
    Both, unfortunately - and with no January 2014 exams, I ended up with about 14 exams in the summer. Somehow I managed to cope with it, although I still can't help wondering if I'd have done better had I not been doing so many.

Happy where I am though, so I don't tend to dwell on it often.
    Wow what were your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    grades are the positivist obsession with defining non-observable terms into the observable; the intellect is very difficult to understand, so feeble minds give it a simple definition by which we can measure it and do not see the irony of it, by defining it in such terms they negate the very thing they seek to measure.

*although I acknowledge they of course existed before, not with such prominence, it was possible for a man to leave Cambridge without finishing it and still be awarded at one point.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.