Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks!

Just a brief question: are there Oxford Colleges who are conservative or liberal? To put it in another way, do you know if colleges are politically aligned? If that is the case, who stands on the right, who in the middle and who on the left?

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas you all!

Bye!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to know - but most people say it varies. I've heard that Wadham and Balliol tend to be recognised left wing and Oriel is more right wing but I don't know if it's true, or about other colleges

ReputationRep:
    There are a handful of stereotypes as mentioned above. Obviously there will be lots of variation though, along with the majority who don't really give a **** either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    I really want to know - but most people say it varies. I've heard that Wadham and Balliol tend to be recognised left wing and Oriel is more right wing but I don't know if it's true, or about other colleges
    Wadham is seriously leftie, a fresher goes around with a Che Guevara bandana and biker jackets, pretty grim. Oriel maybe very slightly right but hardly so, a couple of their freshers are prominent in the Oxford Labour Club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marakh)
    Wadham is seriously leftie, a fresher goes around with a Che Guevara bandana and biker jackets, pretty grim. Oriel maybe very slightly right but hardly so, a couple of their freshers are prominent in the Oxford Labour Club.
    I've heard that about Oriel - no one was at all at all surprised when a student from my school (whom I think you know, from seeing other posts on here? CW, does History?) known among the sixth form for being pretty right-wing got in last year. I have a friend who has an open offer underwritten by Oriel for English next year, and she's very lefty - I tease her about possibly having to go to "right-wing hell", but I'm sure it's not so bad.

OP: I've heard lefty rumours about Wadham, too - and St. Hilda's, oddly enough?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.