Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Getting into film photography Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any advice on how to get into film photography without shelling out for courses?

Anyone know of any good books?
    Best beginner cameras?

etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wonder why you want to get into film photography when digital SLR/photography has so much more to offer. I have been using film cameras for many years and I will never go back to film, even though I have some brilliant cameras.
    Get a 2nd hand digital SLR with a couples of lenses and you won't look back.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I do have a digital camera but I think that film just has something extra, prints are so beautiful, I love the grainy look!

I'm also trying to find something new to try, and I'm not really enjoying using my Nikon D90 (and its a bit broken)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, try using your digital camera at maximum ASA setting, this will make the pictures look grainy, similar to fast film. If you also enlarge your digital pictures it will exaggerate the 'grain'.

The best way to get the most out of photography is to use your camera on manual setting.

The 'film like' qualities is possible on digital cameras - I've got a digital SLR called Fuji S5 pro, which wedding photographers loved because of it gave smooth film like pictures and a huge contrast range. It has a Nikon mount so you can use your D90 lenses, it has been discontinued for few years. but if you find one at a good price on ebay it may be worth buying, it will breathe new life into your pictures and renew your interest in digital photography.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I love film photography! Been doing it for a year now. Digital is all well and good but it definatly lacks a certain feeling to it. It makes you slow down and really think about what your doing and its a great hands on process instead of staring at some pixels on a screen.

Im lucky enough to have a darkroom in uni and bought a Pentax K1000 off our technician.
    Try Amazon or Ebay for cameras, though they might be expensive. They have a good range of film, paper and equipmemt to process if there isnt a local darkroom available.

Rekesky has a little toy diy camera which is fun to build and will produce interesting photos.

http://www.calphoto.co.uk - range of equipment. Not cheap though!

http://www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk - they will process your film and make some prints via mail.

http://www.lomography.com - good source of inspiration/articles.

PM me if you want/need any more info or have a wee chat about stuff.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.