Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Are Atheist women put off by guys who are religious? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Depends how orthodox his beliefs were. As long as he's up for a reasonable discussion of his beliefs, I don't really care.

Edit: I was raised Catholic, for the record.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    A catholic is like the least strict form of Christianity imo. I think Protestants are much more deep and could potentially scare away athiests.
    :facepalm:

This is the same religion that justified taking just born babies from women born out of wedlock to be raised by "suitable foster families". Said woman was then stuck in some work house where she was effectively a slave. This happened in Ireland not long ago.

ReputationRep:
    It really turns me off honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    A catholic is like the least strict form of Christianity imo. I think Protestants are much more deep and could potentially scare away athiests.
    nah

ReputationRep:
    Scared my life would be exposed?!? wtf.

Seriously, I think there would be a huge clash in the way we see the world, so it probably won't work.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind dating someone of any religions but I also accept that our values may not fundamentally match and thus the relationship is more likely to fail. However you can't help who you fall in love with.

ReputationRep:
    Most religious people I know are more intelligent than most of the atheists I know. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a major issue but yeah it could be a turn off for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    This.

Edit: And for me, it's not a belief thing. It's an intelligence thing. I need to be able to respect my partner's beliefs. I can't respect religion.
    This exactly for me also. I can't respect beliefs which seem illogical to me.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the way most religions treat women, I would say any woman would be scared

ReputationRep:
    it's not a belief thing. It's an intelligence thing
    Are you saying that intelligence and being religious are mutually exclusive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    Are you saying that intelligence and being religious are mutually exclusive?
    There's a certain correlation.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm not certain that most atheist women would care. Remember a lot of people aren't the net atheists who made an educated decision to leave religion and probably recognise how bad religion can be.

They simple were either brought up by atheist parents or their natural scepticism made them realise that belief in God is ludicrous. My point is such people are usually indifferent about religion so I doubt that they'd have a problem dating a religious person unless that person was crazy/devout.
    This.

Edit: And for me, it's not a belief thing. It's an intelligence thing. I need to be able to respect my partner's beliefs. I can't respect religion.
    Damn girl, you harsh.

ReputationRep:
    If I am completely honest and I find out a guy is religious it does kind of put me off.

I mean to rule them out straightaway kind of limits your options and is a little harsh but what I don't believe is important to me and honestly - from experience - I'd just rather not go there.

Yes there are intelligent people who believe in god (Fr George Coyne perhaps most notably) but they fail to give an intelligent reason for belief.

I respect, as always, their right to ANY belief but the beliefs in themselves...

To reiterate it's not a deal breaker unless you are really into it - sounds so hypocritical as religious guys are some of the sweetest I have met - but if you're just going through the motions we can give it a go, if you are actually serious about it then it scares me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffacake111)
    If I am completely honest and I find out a guy is religious it does kind of put me off.

I mean to rule them out straightaway kind of limits your options and is a little harsh but what I don't believe is important to me and honestly - from experience - I'd just rather not go there.

Yes there are intelligent people who believe in god (Fr George Coyne perhaps most notably) but they fail to give an intelligent reason for belief.

I respect, as always, their right to ANY belief but the beliefs in themselves...

To reiterate it's not a deal breaker unless you are really into it - sounds so hypocritical as religious guys are some of the sweetest I have met - but if you're just going through the motions we can give it a go, if you are actually serious about it then it scares me
    I personally just think if you are of differing religions or ones atheist and the other isn't, your fundamental values/morals are unlikely to match and thus the relationship is more likely to fail at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Religion broke my family. Look at world history, look at the news, religion creates division.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't put me off

ReputationRep:
    If he wasnt overly religious and the topic rarely/ never came up in our conversations then probably yes. But if I knew he was religious right from the start then that would probably put me off so I prefer meeting people and getting to know other parts of their personality that I could be attracted to forst and then consider whether his religiousness overshadows the things I like about him. But realistically its not likely to last because the topic WILL come up eventually and it'll make me less attracted to him and make me feel more alienated from his way of thinking that I would probably want to seek out another atheist like myself

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd particularly want to date someone religious, but I guess it would have to be a compromise? At the very least though, they would have to be not too much invested with the whole religion thing, like praying 5 times a day and **** like that. Oh, and they mustn't have anything against alcohol. That would be a deal-breaker haha!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Muslim male and I would get with an Atheist. Religion doesn't matter, as long as we love each other all is dandy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2015
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.