Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Does anyone else find dressing up makes them feel INSECURE? Watch

Isn't it meant to be the other way round, I mean dressing up should make you feel confident right? If I've gone and spent loads of time on my hair/makeup, planning a dressy outfit etc and go out, I tend to feel very self-conscious or shy if I know I'm standing out a bit or I know people are looking at me. I think I actually prefer wearing a regular top/jeans. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I agree! I feel like when I dress up I am opening myself up to judgement or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Isn't it meant to be the other way round, I mean dressing up should make you feel confident right? If I've gone and spent loads of time on my hair/makeup, planning a dressy outfit etc and go out, I tend to feel very self-conscious or shy if I know I'm standing out a bit or I know people are looking at me. I think I actually prefer wearing a regular top/jeans. Anyone else?
    It makes me feel more confident tbh. Just don't go to so much effort I guess? It doesn't make sense to put effort in if it's going to make you feel insecure.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, but I think it's more a comparison thing, I love putting on make-up and getting dressed up, and I feel more confident for about a minute until I see everyone else around me who is also all dressed up and I just think I look rubbish in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me feel more secure when I put in a certain amount of effort but I can feel a bit self conscious if I'm wearing loaaaads of eye makeup or something I don't usually wear cos I'm not used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. Sometine I dress up and look stunning. Othertimes I look naaaah.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I feel false/uncomfortable/vulnerable and like I'm trying to get attention/approval.

I'm much more comfortable being relaxed and the version of me who can take the world on without all the excessive paraphernalia.

ReputationRep:
    I hate wearing suits. simply because they're expensive and easily damaged and stained.

i pretty much select on my cloths on a criteria of durability, style and comfort.

cuz i've noticed guys tend to want to start fights when i'm out at a nice time. i say start fights. they just take the mick and i threaten to fight. and i don't threaten to fight unless im actually willing to incase i get called out.

n i've wanted to smash a few guys in when i've been wearing a suit but couldnt cuz i new just swiming a punch would end up ruining my jacket or shirt.

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally like getting too dressed up. My style is pretty casual so getting really dressed up makes me feel less comfortable in myself! Probably one of the reasons I didn't enjoy my prom

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the problem is that you try 100% but you still don't look perfect so it's like "damn, I'm not perfect and I never will be".

At least when you are not "dressed up" you can tell yourself that you would look better if you were "dressed up" when you notice a flaw in yourself...

ReputationRep:
    I think I love the idea of dressing up but not actually doing it. It makes me feel really self conscious and insecure about my body when I wear a dress, or a skirt with heels. I'd rather wear jeans and a nice blouse

(Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I imagine the problem is that you try 100% but you still don't look perfect so it's like "damn, I'm not perfect and I never will be".

At least when you are not "dressed up" you can tell yourself that you would look better if you were "dressed up" when you notice a flaw in yourself...
    Ah yes this exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ah yes this exactly!
    Stop feeling bad about yourself then! We're all perfectly flawed and don't just take it from me, take it from Otep:

ReputationRep:
    YES!!! This is me! Because you attract more attention, more people look at you etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a little. I feel more like me in my band tees and jeans than in a dress. Also noticed I get more compliments when I am casual rather than dressed up. I must give off an air of awkwardness and it shows when I wear a dress instead of jeans lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.