Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Using a dating app to find first boyfriend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Under 5ft 10, the man is short IMO! I'm 5ft 9, & it is most awkward when you've got a short man trying to hit on you, & I know you shouldn't judge on height but it's hard not to if it is potentially going to go anywhere. I personally don't date short men because it's weird & I like wearing heels, making me a lot taller than him! Also there are a select few men who like to lie on dating websites, declare they are 5ft 10/11, you meet them, they're 5ft 6!! I don't go on a 2nd date after that purely because he lied....nobody likes liars! Red flag in my book!!
    You're 5'9" and wear heels. These guys aren't short, you're abnormally tall.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with using dating apps and websites.

Though you'll often find that there's a reason why people have resorted to using them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon2345xx)
    Hi I'm 20 and am in my first year at uni. I've never had a boyfriend and am quite shy and really want a boyfriend but the only guys that approach me are shorter than me and not really my type. Do you think its worth me signing up to a dating app like antidate or tinder? (even though ive never been on a date!) or should i just wait til the right guy comes along? thanks
    There's nothing with online dating for a first love :3 although I can't say I found my first on there, I did however find the girl I can see myself with for the rest of my life 3 years strong and never looked back. Her on the otherhand was like you, first boyfriend, date etc and here we are we started dating and met on Tagged :3

(Original post by MJ1012)
    ....& you're abnormally short!!

ReputationRep:
    You are definitely a few wires short of a circuit.

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    You are definitely a few wires short of a circuit.
    Back at you!

Find it most rude when people fire unnecessary remarks for expressing my own opinion. Be rude to me, I'm rude back to you. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Back at you!

Find it most rude when people fire unnecessary remarks for expressing my own opinion. Be rude to me, I'm rude back to you. Simple.
    You need a thicker skin if you think that's rude ;D

ReputationRep:
    But it's really not an opinion, the average height of adult males is 5ft 10in. In fact the ONS suggest the average is slightly smaller than this at 5ft 9in with women being on average at 5ft 3in. A guy or woman who is "short" should be at least 1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean.

So the guy who called you abnormally tall (you being at 5ft 9in) gave a pretty accurate statement, statistically speaking. But it wouldn't be an accurate opinion to say that a guy who is shorter than 5ft 10in is necessarily short (only short relative to you)

And here is my opinion. Of all the criteria you could shun a man for, height would hardly be at the top of my list. It seems unnecessary and unjustified to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menrva)
    But it's really not an opinion, the average height of adult males is 5ft 10in. In fact the ONS suggest the average is slightly smaller than this at 5ft 9in with women being on average at 5ft 3in. A guy or woman who is "short" should be at least 1 or 2 standard deviations from the mean.

So the guy who called you abnormally tall (you being at 5ft 9in) gave a pretty accurate statement, statistically speaking. But it wouldn't be an accurate opinion to say that a guy who is shorter than 5ft 10in is necessarily short (only short relative to you)

And here is my opinion. Of all the criteria you could shun a man for, height would hardly be at the top of my list. It seems unnecessary and unjustified to me.
    It's definitely an opinion, just a vain, unjustified one. lol

ReputationRep:
    A tall girl with a short guy looks weird. Like the Krankies in reverse. Stick to your guns OP, no shorties.

ReputationRep:
    for goodness sake, stop being picky......go out and enjoy (with precautions)...........UNI is not for ever and after that you have the real life:

WOK....SLEEP.... WORK ....HAVE BABIES..........NOT MUCH PLEASUE TIME.............DEATH !!

ReputationRep:
    If you do go on a dating site just put "no shorties or time wasters". That will filter out the dross and get you the 6ft plus He Men every girl deserves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon2345xx)
    Hi I'm 20 and am in my first year at uni. I've never had a boyfriend and am quite shy and really want a boyfriend but the only guys that approach me are shorter than me and not really my type. Do you think its worth me signing up to a dating app like antidate or tinder? (even though ive never been on a date!) or should i just wait til the right guy comes along? thanks
    At keast
    least people approach to you..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6'1"...
    Just logical.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't suggest tinder if you're looking for a relationship, it's mostly just boys looking for a bit of 'fun'. But any other sort of dating website, go for it

(Original post by Menrva)

Stick by my guns...if the bloke is shorter than me (without heels), I'm not interested! Have always had the thought & I stick by it. A tall woman dating a short man is just weird IMO. Only ever dared 4 men who are tall, & that's how I like it. Have had short men attempt to date but I'm not interested, bit of a turn off for me. I perhaps shouldn't judge on height alone, but if the man ain't tall, it's a no from me! Simple.

I'm 6'1"...
    Just logical.
    Congratulations

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    It's definitely an opinion, just a vain, unjustified one. lol
    No, it's preference! If I'm not interested in dating a short man, I'm not interested. Simple as that. *facepalm* lol

ReputationRep:
    Id date ya tehehe, provided you're a nice person. Im 6'1 and 18 provided your not one of those people who worry about age gaps and all that mallarky.

ReputationRep:
    lol... tall girls can wear heals. I'm 5ft8 and I wear 3 inch heals... don't give a crap. Long legs look amazing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.