Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child? Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you forgive your wife/gf for aborting your child against your wishes?!
    No I can't.
    56.67%
    Yes I can forgive her and I would support her.
    23.33%
    maybe - it's her choice but I will secretly harbour feelings of resentment
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    It's the woman who has to carry the child, it's her body so she gets to decide. She should have a right to bodily autonomy, forcing her to carry a child she doesn't want would be immoral

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    And is it my fault it's that way? No, if she didn't want a child, she should have made it clear from the get go.

If my partner was pregnant, I'd want to keep it, and I wouldn't stay with her if she wanted to abort. At the same time though, I don't think I'd want her not to abort just to stay with me, if that makes sense.
    As long as you make it clear that you want a child before conception.

ReputationRep:
    That's not fair though at all.

A man should have a fair say in it too.

I don't think it should ever have to come to having an abortion though, with a disagreement.

Both parties should know what they both want beforehand.
    But that's the way the world works. Women are the ones who have to go through the actual trauma of pregnancy and childbirth, and as such they are the only ones who decide whether or not to put themselves through it. Men have no say.

If you don't like it, wait until you're in a committed relationship with someone who you know wants a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meyrin)
    But that's the way the world works. Women are the ones who have to go through the actual trauma of pregnancy and childbirth, and as such they are the only ones who decide whether or not to put themselves through it. Men have no say.

If you don't like it, wait until you're in a committed relationship with someone who you know wants a child.
    That's the way the world works... So why should women want all these extra rights? Why are they trying to change it, it's just the way the world works.

Get over it then.

ReputationRep:

Yes being in a committed relationship is important. Will a man marry a woman in question if she decides to forego the abortion is one of the questions? Is a man capable of financial provision and would he contribute in raising of a child (particularly during an infancy stage of a child)?

ReputationRep:
    No, never.

ReputationRep:
    That's the way the world works... So why should women want all these extra rights? Why are they trying to change it, it's just the way the world works.

Get over it then.
    Could you elucidate about these 'special rights' that you're talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reptilian)
    She's the one carrying it in her womb and having to squeeze it through her genitalia. Not you, you have no right to be angry if all you did was nut inside her (I'm sure that was so terrible, wasn't it?!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No right? What an insensitive post.

The baby is not only the mothers you know...
    Yes I would be absolutely furious.

I don't care if it has to get through her vagina, if I wanted the baby I want it.
    That baby is mine too. Ofc men can get angry.

ReputationRep:
    "His" child. Oh, men can be so amusing.
    What's amusing? It is his child too.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously know nothing about the basics of fertilisation. Are you 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Wrong)
    What if a woman gets a promotion at work and then changes her mind about getting pregnant since she's a "career girl". Should the man support her through this and watch her abort his child or what?
    Wait... So, she get a promotion, gets pregnant (without male participation...?), and then... aborts the child? You're implying here that, since she got a promotion and is a 'career girl,' she'll want a baby and then change her mind and want to get rid of it? ...If someone wants to get pregnant, that means that she wants to have a baby. People don't get pregnant for the hell of it.

This is a weird scenario you've cooked up.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the feminist nut case is back at it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crozibear96)
    I'm not a man so I'd never be in that situation, but I wouldn't forgive.

Like, she should have taken steps to prevent getting preggo (i.e, the pill, check he wears a condom, etc) in the first place if she didn't want kids - especially if she knows that the guy would want to keep any kids conceived. Idk if that's just me though. The woman would (should!) know what unprotected sex/not taking safety measures could mean for her.
    Why is it all the woman's responsibility?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frodokins)
    Why is it all the woman's responsibility?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because she's the one who doesn't want the child?

ReputationRep:
    Aborting a baby against a man's wishes is cruel, but it's no better to force a woman to carry a baby she doesn't really want to have. It's a difficult one. I'm sure I've read stories before about women getting pregnant, not wanting it, having their partners persuade them to keep it and then further down the line, the man has left the woman holding the baby because he's changed his mind/cannot cope with fatherhood. It's the risk of it, it's so much easier for men to walk away from parental responsibilities than women can. I think if a woman is certain she doesn't want children yet, the couple need to take as many precautions as possible so prevent such a difficult situation arising.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course, I couldnt imagine bringing up a child if both parents are not willing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    Aborting a baby against a man's wishes is cruel, but it's no better to force a woman to carry a baby she doesn't really want to have. It's a difficult one. I'm sure I've read stories before about women getting pregnant, not wanting it, having their partners persuade them to keep it and then further down the line, the man has left the woman holding the baby because he's changed his mind/cannot cope with fatherhood. It's the risk of it, it's so much easier for men to walk away from parental responsibilities than women can. I think if a woman is certain she doesn't want children yet, the couple need to take as many precautions as possible so prevent such a difficult situation arising.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

ReputationRep:
    So tell me why you wrote 'men can be so amusing'? Any normal person would've wrote 'people can be so amusing', unless of course that person had an irrational hate towards a certain group of people and had a sad, pathetic agenda they wanted to spread. What if I wrote 'black people can be so amusing' or 'gay people can be so amusing', what would you say then?

ReputationRep:
    End of the day it is her body, not yours.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.