Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child? Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you forgive your wife/gf for aborting your child against your wishes?!
    No I can't.
    56.67%
    Yes I can forgive her and I would support her.
    23.33%
    maybe - it's her choice but I will secretly harbour feelings of resentment
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    It means a normal pregnancy in a hospital abortion interferes with nature.In the end of the day the stress is necessary to bring human life into the world.
    No nature is having it out on a field.

Hospital is having injections stuck in your spine, having leads attached everywhere to check that the baby is still alive and if goes wrong then having someone perform surgery on you.

That is modern science. It has nothing to do with nature

Forget the fact that pregnancy is 9 months long and everything that goes into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I think your argument here about letting nature run its course in the case of a dispute is quite persuasive on its own terms. You done the crime, you do the time.

But there would have be so many caveats involving the couple's financial position, the woman's medical profile, any major difficulties in the relationship; and even in a case uncomplicated by practicalities, we surely cannot ignore bodily autonomy and the fact that the maternal bond is stronger than the paternal one.

Women, for me, have to have the final say; but as in my post above, privileges come with responsibilities and there should be some sort of system to increase accountability.
    Financial position is unimportant you just get child tax credits if you can't afford to look after the child, whether or not the baby is a risk to the mother's life would be an important deciding factor as previously stated, body autonomy shouldn't come into this as its just for 9 months on a decision that will affect the lives of two people and for this last one it is a debatable and possibly sexist point, either way the father definitely should get a say in abortion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If she'd talked about it with me etc. and I'd said I don't want her to but it's her choice ultimately, maybe. If she did it behind me back, no.

Atm if it happened I'd just be thankful she'd saved me a valuable coat hanger.

ReputationRep:
    mostly its the mother who plays biggest part by giving up her time ans raising the child.
    her whole life practically changes when she has a child just to care for it and bring it up. I know friends who have had abortions without telling the guy of the baby.
    sometimes its best not to have the child if ur not stable and ready to bring it up. its not fair on the child either.
    guys can and do walk away most the time especially if it gets too much for them. and come back to see it when they feel like it.I've seen this happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meyrin)
    "His" child. Oh, men can be so amusing.
    So you're suggesting men cannot be fathers? Your post is a nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Autumnsong)
    uh, maybe because it was a man who made the thread? no information on the gay or black front, but seriously...WOULD anyone care if someone said those things? you seem quite alarmingly desperate to be offended

"a sad, pathetic agenda" - don't think I've ever been so simultaneously embarrassed and amused by a post
    Read Meyrin's post history if you like. (I wouldn't bother wasting my time) The response should be taken in context not standalone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Errr so what exactly does that involve?

Have the baby out in a field?

You clearly have no clue about what pregnancy involves.

Maybe, one day when you sit through a delivery with your gf/wife and see a vagina being torn after an 8 hour delivery, you will have more respect for the stress that their body undergoes.
    Respect? Oh please it's just how it is it's nature. Women have to deal with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    Right.

So when the man causes the abortion, it's a baby and human and the mother has developed an intense bond with her child.

But when women want to keep abortion legal, it's supposedly 'just a foetus'/'not even human' before the cutoff period.

But that aside, try to imagine a world (not even that far in the future, in all likelihood) where the baby is grown outside your body but the man forces its abortion against your wishes. Could you possibly ever forgive him?

I'm just trying to offer an insight into the male point of view, because I know it can be pretty difficult for both genders to see across the divide on this topic.
    Thanks for pointing out the double standard. This is why I can't subscribe to feminism. I think a man has just as much rights to his child and the child, developed or not, is still a child.

ReputationRep:
    In principle has to be the woman's decision. In practice ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    X
    Your body goes through nothing. A woman's goes through everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olderandwiser23)
    Your body goes through nothing. A woman's goes through everything.
    That is 9 months, as opposed to a literal lifetime of parenthood. I obviously don't think women should be legally or medically denied abortions, but the father is not unreasonable if he feels that he can't forgive someone for aborting his child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    That is 9 months, as opposed to a literal lifetime of parenthood. I obviously don't think women should be legally or medically denied abortions, but the father is not unreasonable if he feels that he can't forgive someone for aborting his child.
    Of course. Generally women do the majority of the raising too, as the father is (hopefully) at work.

I would hope that a couple/2 people can talk about it, but ultimately it's her choice and that is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxbsly)
    ITT:
    Women - Yes he should forgive, we are the ones who are carrying the baby blah blah.
    Men - No, it is as much our baby as yours blah blah.

Basically my point is, each sex is going to be biased. Therefore the results from this thread have pretty much no meaning.
    Except that there are men saying that it's her choice and he should forgive, and women saying it's understandable if he can't forgive. Some people can look at it from a more detached view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olderandwiser23)
    Of course. Generally women do the majority of the raising too, as the father is (hopefully) at work.

I would hope that a couple/2 people can talk about it, but ultimately it's her choice and that is right.
    That's based on archaic gender roles, women too work these days and there's no reason the women should do the majority of the raising while men work.
    Yes, I agree. But it's understandable if he can't forgive that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    That's based on archaic gender roles, women too work these days and there's no reason the women should do the majority of the raising while men work.
    Yes, I agree. But it's understandable if he can't forgive that.
    Archaic in thinking but still very present. Not saying women can't go to work or that men can't raise the kids, just stating the stereotypical household.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kill3er)
    Safety measures aren't always effective and accidents can always happen.
    I probably should have mentioned that I was talking about if the case was that absolutely no safety measures were taken. Sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

(Original post by Frodokins)
    Why is it all the woman's responsibility?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's both of their responsibility, but if it's the woman who doesn't want the child then the woman really should be making sure that she's trying her best to prevent herself from getting pregnant in the first place. You can't give someone hope out of your carelessness and irresponsibility and then snatch it away from them. It's unfair.

Imagine the situation is reversed. If a man walks out on his newborn and it's mother because he didn't want to be a father in the first place, wouldn't it have been that man's responsibility to stick something on the end of it 9 months previous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    Respect? Oh please it's just how it is it's nature. Women have to deal with it
    Who cares if it is nature?

That doesn't mean that the process isn't horrific.

"It's nature" aka I haven't got a logical argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    If she'd talked about it with me etc. and I'd said I don't want her to but it's her choice ultimately, maybe. If she did it behind me back, no.

Atm if it happened I'd just be thankful she'd saved me a valuable coat hanger.
    Lovely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite shocked by the overwhelmingly positive response from this thread.

Women have the right to their bodies only when they're single when they're in a relationship their bodies also belong to the man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Wrong)
    I'm quite shocked by the overwhelmingly positive response from this thread.

Women have the right to their bodies only when they're single when they're in a relationship their bodies also belong to the man.
    Not in the slightest.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.