Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Premier League relegation thread 14/15 Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at Sunderlands fixtures again, oh dear. They're gone.

Sunderland V Southampton
    Everton V Sunderland
    Sunderland V Leicester
    Arsenal V Sunderland
    Chelsea V Sunderland
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's not just their fixture list which gives me no hope for Sunderland, it's Advocaat's seemingly total lack of belief in the squad.

Holding onto Johnson - in the midst of this controversy - reeks of desperation. Sure, he's their best player. But Advocaat hasn't galvanised the squad in the slightest. Suggesting that he wanted them to target six points from their last six games was laughably really. That's hardly an out-of-this-world proposition.

He also suggests the players need to 'work harder' and 'defend from the front'. Are Sunderland players not aware of the basic traits of a football team?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    2 of the top 4 away, away to a team that spanked them by 8 in the reverse fixture and games against two resurgent teams in Everton and Leicester? I wonder what the best odds on them going down are, easy money that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    2 of the top 4 away, away to a team that spanked them by 8 in the reverse fixture and games against two resurgent teams in Everton and Leicester? I wonder what the best odds on them going down are, easy money that.
    Could (probably will) finish bottom.

The bottom three will stay as it is. I'm sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that the current bottom 3 pretty much fits the standard pattern of 1 newly promoted team (Burnley), 1 established team (Sunderland) and then QPR is a reasonable fit for the "been up a few years" team, especially since that's often also a bouncer team.

ReputationRep:
    We'll be in league 1 in 2 seasons
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hull were always going to get a result tonight. Wouldn't bet against QPR getting at least a draw at Anfield, either. Christ.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Hull were always going to get a result tonight. Wouldn't bet against QPR getting at least a draw at Anfield, either. Christ.
    Even a point wouldn't be good enough tbh, their next fixture is away to City! I'm pretty confident that the bottom 3 will stay as it is now, with Newcastle 17th. They're lucky the season is ending when it is... another 5 games and they'd be gone.

Hull have a good squad so I'm suprised they've struggled so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Even a point wouldn't be good enough tbh, their next fixture is away to City! I'm pretty confident that the bottom 3 will stay as it is now, with Newcastle 17th. They're lucky the season is ending when it is... another 5 games and they'd be gone.

Hull have a good squad so I'm suprised they've struggled so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They had that dismal run of fixtures between November and Boxing Day, where they only won once. Facing Southampton, Spurs, United, Everton, Chelsea and Swansea within seven weeks was always going to **** them over in some way.

They've been saved by N'Doye, in truth. Can see him becoming a Demba Ba-esque figure and making a move to a top half club in January if he hits the ground running next term. For a 30-year-old who has never played in England before, 5 goals in 10 games is not a bad return in a relegation threatened side.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Hull's last 4 games are brutal:

Arsenal (h)
    Burnley (h)
    Tottenham (a)
    Manchester United (h)

With last night's result they will be confident going into those at least anyway.

Also just realised that if Leicester were to win against Chelsea this evening (sadly unlikely) they'd pip Hull and go into 15th place, incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise that this thread existed. Will take my seat, ready for the turmoil that awaits over the next few weeks.

Hoping that QPR and Burnley are too far adrift already, and that Sunderland's fixtures/form will see Villa just about go safe.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Hull's last 4 games are brutal:

Arsenal (h)
    Burnley (h)
    Tottenham (a)
    Manchester United (h)
    Doesn't really matter because I can't see where Sunderland are getting a point from at the minute, let alone a win. If Hull beat Burnley at the KC, they survive. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    Hull vs Burnley & Sunderland vs Leicester are critical.

Villa are only just hanging in there. Granted, they're playing well at the minute but resulys, as always, count for everything. Win the FA Cup then go down? Happened to Wigan just 2 seasons ago & now they're in League One. Incredible how seemingly strong teams really struggle to adjust to the Championship. Wigan, Fulham, Reading all having seasons to forget.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Hull vs Burnley & Sunderland vs Leicester are critical.

Villa are only just hanging in there. Granted, they're playing well at the minute but resulys, as always, count for everything..
    But what about Newcastle, too? I can't see them claiming any more points before the season's out. They are in freefall and I'd be much more worried if I was a Toon supporter rather than a Villa one.

ReputationRep:
    But what about Newcastle, too? I can't see them claiming any more points before the season's out. They are in freefall and I'd be much more worried if I was a Toon supporter rather than a Villa one.
    I didn't even realise that Newcastle's next game is against Leicester at the KP too. It really is up in the air. Plus Newcastle's problems seem a lot more long term than any of the clubs in that bottom 7.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even realise that Newcastle's next game is against Leicester at the KP too. It really is up in the air. Plus Newcastle's problems seem a lot more long term than any of the clubs in that bottom 7.
    Catch the Dispatches doc on Sports Direct and Mike Ashley on Channel 4 the other night?

ReputationRep:
    it says something that newcastle were the worst team in the league pre-october and have been the worst team in the league since february and still won't go down

hull/burnley/qpr imo

ReputationRep:
    Catch the Dispatches doc on Sports Direct and Mike Ashley on Channel 4 the other night?
    Nah, is it on 4oD? I'll have to look in to that. Such a shame that Cashley is only interested in profits, that club would be a phenomenal acquisition for an ambitious owner.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nah, is it on 4oD?.
    Sure is, man. Get on it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hull will be fine after last night. Beat Burnley and they're safe, or failing that they will fancy their chances of beating a Spurs side who will be doing their best to avoid the Europa League (Pochettino has said he'd rather not qualify).

Unless one of them can win this weekend I can't see the bottom 3 changing at all.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.