Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Premier League relegation thread 14/15 Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Carver has accused Williamson of getting sent off to get out of the match. True or not it's a stupid thing to declare in public. Lead down to 2 points, at this point them staying up would be because Sunderland failed to beat Leicester in a fortnight (or Leicesters form suddenly tanks it again and they take 0 from Soton and QPR at home and Sunderland away)...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This is the thing that really underlines Newcastle's weakness.

The whole club seems fractured. During relegation battles, you need managers to galvanise players. Pearson (whether you like him or not) has created a good atmosphere for Leicester players to work under (at least according to Kasper Schmeichel) and you can see players run themselves into the ground for him week in, week out. Vardy, Morgan, Huth, Wasilewski, Albrighton and Schlupp have been near infallible in recent weeks and as a collective they are so strong mentally.

It's the same with Villa, who have Sherwood reinvigorating star players (Benteke) and giving youth an emphasis (Grealish). Carver's digging his players out in public and it's shoddy leadership.

They're ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    Feel the bottom of the Premier League this year has been the worst it's been for a long time. This is whilst the top of the Championship has been the best it's been. I bet with a Scottish style system where the playoffs included Premier League sides who had just avoided automatic relegation, it would be an all Championship final. Given the strength of the Championship playoff battle this year (the 4 teams in plus Wolves at least), and that only 1 of those teams competing will be going up, unless anyone collapses over the summer due to failure to get promotion I can see the league being just as strong next year, and the relegated sides having a very tough time. Bournemouth and Watford have gone up because they were so good, not because the rest were poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    As a Newcastle fan, if the season was 5 games longer I would be absolutely bricking it. As it stands though we could likely lose all our remaining games and still stay up, and, as bad as we are at the moment, that isn't going to happen.

Can confirm I am currently bricking it.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed about the league being terrible this year. Pretty much the whole bottom half have been dire. Quite excited to see both Watford and Bournemouth have a good crack at it next season.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluttershy)
    Feel the bottom of the Premier League this year has been the worst it's been for a long time. This is whilst the top of the Championship has been the best it's been. I bet with a Scottish style system where the playoffs included Premier League sides who had just avoided automatic relegation, it would be an all Championship final. Given the strength of the Championship playoff battle this year (the 4 teams in plus Wolves at least), and that only 1 of those teams competing will be going up, unless anyone collapses over the summer due to failure to get promotion I can see the league being just as strong next year, and the relegated sides having a very tough time. Bournemouth and Watford have gone up because they were so good, not because the rest were poor.
    I'd happily get rid of half the teams from the bottom half. Wish the PL would have a clear-out and allow the top five from the Championship up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I'd happily get rid of half the teams from the bottom half. Wish the PL would have a clear-out and allow the top five from the Championship up.
    Could easily relegate 6-7 teams without the quality of the league being affected imo. Too many clubs in the league who are happy to just tread water and aim for 17th, and too many mercenary players blocking the path of young British talent.

I think if Newcastle go down they will be there for a while, whereas Sunderland would have a better squad to build on and would be very likely to be title challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sunderland may regret not appointing Advocaat sooner, in truth, He's quite a calming and reassuring presence amid the madness and chaos at Newcastle. United could do with Jordi Gomez as penalty taker. Aside from RVP's miss, I read that Rooney has got the lowest scoring percentage out of PL players who have taken 20 penalties or more in their career.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we'd never appointed ****, if he keeps us up fair enough but just don't like the guy or the appointment
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Carver to stay on as Newcastle boss: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32582358

Worryingly, I heard rumours of a bust-up on the team coach involving Coloccini and Krul.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently McClaren said no to taking over now so hence Carver stays but he's admitted himself that the players aren't listening to him so it looks incredibly pessimistic to think they will listen to him now!

Instead of appointing Carver when Pardew left, why not Peter Beardsley? Think he's working with the kids at the club, would have inspired more optimism than JC.

ReputationRep:
    As a pessimistic Villa fan, I'm strangely not worried about us going down; I felt the same when playing Liverpool in the semi. It'd be hilarious for a team on 35 points from 27 games to go down, but what a state they're in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    As a pessimistic Villa fan, I'm strangely not worried about us going down; I felt the same when playing Liverpool in the semi. It'd be hilarious for a team on 35 points from 27 games to go down, but what a state they're in.
    You'll be fine. Rumours of in-fighting between the players are probably the straw which will break the camel's back. They won't win another point in the PL this season. If they stay up, it'll purely because Sunderland can't galvanise themselves.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    You'll be fine. Rumours of in-fighting between the players are probably the straw which will break the camel's back. They won't win another point in the PL this season. If they stay up, it'll purely because Sunderland can't galvanise themselves.
    In fairness Sunderland have 3 away and one home game left, all against the top 4 teams in the current form table. It's a really difficult ask for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they do go down we should rub it in even more this time. They're still pissed off with us laughing at them six years ago, they'd be raging if we did it again. It's be rude not to imo.

#SobOnTheTyne
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It'd be hilarious for a team on 35 points from 27 games to go down, but what a state they're in.
    Funny thing is at that stage they were just as close to the top four as they were to the relegation zone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    In fairness Sunderland have 3 away and one home game left, all against the top 4 teams in the current form table. It's a really difficult ask for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I mean. Leicester at home is far from a banker given their current form, but I wouldn't put it past them to get something at Goodison Park this weekend. Chelsea at Stamford Bridge could find the champions playing a depleted side, and Arsenal may rest players for the FA Cup final. So many variables, but we'll see. I hope Sunderland stay up at Newcastle's expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    If they do go down we should rub it in even more this time. They're still pissed off with us laughing at them six years ago, they'd be raging if we did it again. It's be rude not to imo.

#SobOnTheTyne
    I was there on that day. Loved it.

Even though Everton are comfortably midtable it looks like they're going to fight until the end so that's be a tough game for Sunderland - I imagine to make it feel like the season turned out okay after their appalling first half. Villa outplayed them but they still looked good, just Villa had more fight. You'd have to back Villa and Leicesrer to survive as they have the momentum and desire. Sherwood looking like an absolute stroke of genius too.

Not really a fan of Sunderland or Newcastle, although Villa tend to do better against Sunderland (Newcastle's last win was against us before their 8 run of defeats) and Newcastle are in such a mess. They were also a mess when they went down in 08/09, and it seemed to help them rebuild. Also showing how the manager is the most important person in a relegation fight.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle have always had players who shot their team in the foot. I remember the year they went down, I saw them at Anfield and Barton was sent-off for near GBH on Alonso in the corner by the Kop. In-fighting has always been to their detriment.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: The Dyer/Bowyer incident in the 3-0 home loss to Villa in around '05 was hilarious. Even funnier was the Stephen Taylor 'handball and pretend it hit you in the stomach' incident.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.