Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Premier League relegation thread 14/15 Watch

• TSR Support Team

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Meenu is a Coventry City fan.
    Oh guess she's still annoyed about us sending them down years ago
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hate Pardew. Wouldn't mind Palace going down now.

Redknapp is still the WOAT time, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    c) Yes, aggressive demeanour indeed. I'm glad you've put in the word 'recent' there, that's the key word. Even then I'm still not sure you're correct. Since the premier league started Stoke City have racked up more red cards than Arsenal, see the first and second table: http://www.arsenal.com/news/features...v-swansea-city
    Nevermind historically, your team is pretty dire this season as well according to these Fair Play Tables:
    http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/fairplay
    http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/m...fair-play.html

You guys get worse and worse, there's no improvement. You're high up every single statistical disciplinary data:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-League.html
    You were the number one dirtiest team about two seasons ago:
    http://talksport.com/magazine/featur...-201213-198583

Misguided conceptions? It need not be a misguided when I can see it happening right there in front of my own eyes. Face it, don't be bitter. Stoke City is a vile, disgusting football club. Your 'playing style' is similar to that of WWE. You don't play football. There you go again with the whole 'long ball' thing. Clearly, you've unconsciously highlighted something that bothers you about your team.
    When your team feel like playing actual football and feel less inclined to be negatively physical and produce less cynical challenges then let me know, English football could well do without your club.
    There's an odd thing about some of the modern generation of Arsenal fans in that they are starting to turn in to the type of bitter haters that always criticised Arsenal in the past. Over Fabregas, RVP some of them have turned in to bittermen like the Spurs fans were over Sol Campbell.

And now we get this type of critique of Stoke, which is ironic really because the type of things you are having a go at Stoke for, are things that others used to say about Arsenal: over physical and long ball. This is also the type of thing that older Arsenal fans will say has come out of the Arsenal DNA and should be put back in: back in the days when Adams, Bould and Keown were at the back, these were not fancy artisans of football that bought their opponents flowers, I remember reading something I think it was by Chris Sutton that said if you played Arsenal and received the ball you could count one, two, three and if you hadn't got rid of it they would crunch through the back of you and leave you in agony on the turf.

I remember when I was growing up the insult that was used against Arsenal was that they were Wimbledon with history. The team everybody hated, everybody wrote off and laughed at when they were out of form, but George Graham used to somehow grit them through to winning a trophy, which is kind of like nowadays they always end up qualifying for the Champions League.

If you watch Arsenal in the early to mid 1990s there was little finesse in that team, it was iron solid at the back and they pumped long balls up over a largely pedestrian midfield (average players like Selley, Hillier, McGoldrick and the occasional dirty hardman like Stefan Schwarz) up to Alan Smith to hold the ball up and lay off to Ian Wright who was the Sanchez of his day.

You would get Spurs fans saying well I'd rather watch a team that tries to play attacking football (eg with Klinsmann, Sheringham, Dumitrescu, Anderton and Barmby) rather than just intimidate teams physically and hoof it up field to one top class striker up front but it was Arsenal who were collecting the trophies not Spurs.

Then Arsenal started playing the best football and didn't the haters hate that, what a delicious irony, of course they still had the "dirty team" thing to throw at them because Vieira and his mates were always stirring it up, many a time Arsenal would finish with 10 men and Wenger said "well I didn't see the incident..."

But then Arsenal became the soft mardyboys of the Premier League and somehow people stopped hating on them so much because they were more generous. If you're a lower side there's always a chance to take points off these muppets, and if you are a top team and Arsenal come to play you, fill your boots there's goals a plenty. So Arsenal became less hated and all the hate went to the likes of Chelsea instead, but in a strange transformation the Arsenal fans became the bittermen...
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    x
    I'm not getting into this again. I've said what I've said and I stand by it. I'm not going to go into some long historical, topical debate over why Arsenal is any worse than Stoke. Before the inevitable is said about not having a counter arguement etc that's not the case, I'm just not getting into it again, I've dealt with the other guy's points in which I disagreed with. Also I'm quite frankly confused about this whole long ball thing that you guys seemed to have plucked out of thin air, you both suggested it, not I. Good read in some parts though, if that accounts for anything.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute 10/10 post from MagicNMedicine.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Absolute 10/10 post from MagicNMedicine.
    He's the best poster on here by some distance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Just glad somebody on here is older than me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I'm not getting into this again. I've said what I've said and I stand by it. I'm not going to go into some long historical, topical debate over why Arsenal is any worse than Stoke. Before the inevitable is said about not having a counter arguement etc that's not the case, I'm just not getting into it again, I've dealt with the other guy's points in which I disagreed with. Also I'm quite frankly confused about this whole long ball thing that you guys seemed to have plucked out of thin air, you both suggested it, not I. Good read in some parts though, if that accounts for anything.
    Well aside from any snobbishness about styles of football or whatever, there's a simple reality about playing teams like Stoke. Stoke aren't a rich club, they don't have a lot of top players, and they are never anywhere near challenging for the title or Champions League spots. So if you are a club that is challenging for the Champions League, they shouldn't pose a problem, the fact some teams worry inordinately about being overturned by Stoke highlights their own deficiencies, ie they can't match Stoke physically and they can't deal with set pieces.

I would love to see the old Arsenal side with Tony Adams and co in it, play at that cliched "Stoke on a freezing January in the sleet/hail or whatever". That Arsenal would have loved it, I can just imagine the glee on Adams and Keown's faces when they got out and saw the conditions, they would be saying have some of this lads, this is proper football, Stoke are going to try and get us at set plays so bring it on! Stoke would have seen that Arsenal team and thought oh **** here's a team that's going to dominate us physically, pressurise us and hassle us intensely till we make one mistake and then Ian Wright will get them 1-0 up and they will park the bus and stick everyone behind the ball with George Graham shouting "Supeerrrrrrrrb" every time a defender goes in with a crunching tackle and they hoist the ball upfield.

Also to go off at a bit of a tangent, I remember the hate that Blackburn Rovers used to get, when they were at their peak in the mid 1990s. Think of how much people complain about "anti-football" teams like Stoke and Sunderland now, combine that with how much people complain about big spenders like Man City and Chelsea now, combine that with Kenny Dalglish being manager at his most moody and sarcastic, have Alan Shearer as their main player and Tim Sherwood as their humble and diplomatic captain to face the media.

Now you get some idea of what people thought about Blackburn in that era! Apart from the complaints were on radio phone ins back then as messageboards weren't around.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know why so many people are saying burnley. Such an unpredictable team and hence the reason they always screw over my coupons

ReputationRep:
    don't really care that much, though I would predict West Brom, Leicester and Burnley

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say sunderland are a negative team it is a lack of quality in the final 3rd, sunderland are one of most unpredictable teams in the league which makes the league more exciting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hope QPR go down and stay down, preferably with some administration to ensure they stay there, they're the sort of club that do **** all all season then interfere with the top 4/title race near the end of the season.

It'll be a shame to see Leicester go down but I think they will unfortunately, along with West Brom, they've never really been PL standard.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    QPR are goners, yet to pick up a point away from home, and remaining home games aren't particularly kind. Don't think Hull are good enough either.

Leicester... but for the sheer incompetency of Mike Jones on New Years day, we'd be 1 point from safety. As it is, we're not far off and play QPR, Crystal Palace and Hull at home before the seasons out, as well as a trip to Burnley, where we tend to win. Can't afford many performances like yesterday, but we're good enough to stay up - our performances this season haven't got the points we've deserved (I can think of 5 points more we should have had in the last 5 league games alone).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I worry for Villa these days. I really do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    It'll be a shame to see Leicester go down but I think they will unfortunately, along with West Brom, they've never really been PL standard.
    What does that say about everyone that finished in the bottom half in 2011-12 and 2012-13?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Well, I've clearly not got my finger on the pulse of what football fans like. I thought they'd like what Burnley are doing.
    90% of this forum aren't real football fans though. They are gloryhunters who never watch their team live. If you asked fans of the smaller Premier League teams you'd get very different answers. Most of them think Burnley are a "proper club" with "proper fans".

ReputationRep:
    Manchester United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

Any of those scummy gloryhunter teams getting relegated would be better for the Prem.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    90% of this forum aren't real football fans though. They are gloryhunters who never watch their team live. If you asked fans of the smaller Premier League teams you'd get very different answers. Most of them think Burnley are a "proper club" with "proper fans".
    Eh, delusions of grandeur is how I'd describe burnley fans. Of the smaller clubs, only the troglodytes at Stoke (once more too busy goading other teams going down to celebrate their own goals or achievements) are worse.

as it is though, most hate Sean Dyche for his massive victim complex and refusal to ever admit fault. Every defeat last season he accused the refs of being useless, even if in some cases the refs being useless is why they didn't lose by more. This season it's all about the markets, and how little old burnley can't compete with the market leaders, because they just don't have the pound notes. Before Dyche took over, I couldn't care less about them, if Dyche was to go, I'd stop caring about them, as it is I want them to fail, and fail badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Eh, delusions of grandeur is how I'd describe burnley fans. Of the smaller clubs, only the troglodytes at Stoke (once more too busy goading other teams going down to celebrate their own goals or achievements) are worse.

as it is though, most hate Sean Dyche for his massive victim complex and refusal to ever admit fault. Every defeat last season he accused the refs of being useless, even if in some cases the refs being useless is why they didn't lose by more. This season it's all about the markets, and how little old burnley can't compete with the market leaders, because they just don't have the pound notes. Before Dyche took over, I couldn't care less about them, if Dyche was to go, I'd stop caring about them, as it is I want them to fail, and fail badly.
    I wasn't following the Championship last season so didn't know what Dyche was back then but I do hate it when managers are constantly blaming the refs so I wouldn't like that.

However, it is true that Burnley don't have any money to spend and are disadvantaged as a result. They couldn't spend a total of £17m on strikers like your team has and their wage bill is nothing compared to QPR, yet they are currently doing better than both of those teams.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    I wasn't following the Championship last season so didn't know what Dyche was back then but I do hate it when managers are constantly blaming the refs so I wouldn't like that.

However, it is true that Burnley don't have any money to spend and are disadvantaged as a result. They couldn't spend a total of £17m on strikers like your team has and their wage bill is nothing compared to QPR, yet they are currently doing better than both of those teams.
    Between TV and prize money, even spending one season at the bottom of the premiership is worth £60m. It's not that they don't have money to spend, it's that they refuse to spend it. Or, rather, they waste it (rumoured £4m on Jukebox and Marvin Sordell, £3m on George Boyd...)

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.