Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it kind of wrong to show your face on Omegle? Watch

Sometimes when I'm really bored, I'll use Omegle. I'm just a regular 18 year old girl. I keep my webcam off usually, only after talking to someone for a while on Omegle and knowing they're not a creep, do I let them see me. Then I just add them on Skype and we become friends. I'm just looking to expand my social circle really out of boredom, and it's not like I'm on there stripping or anything. Should I just stop this or should I continue? There are some really good looking guys on there too sometimes and we just talk about random things like where we're from how our day was etc.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sad, I would tell you to stop it tbh. Go out and meet real people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sometimes when I'm really bored, I'll use Omegle. I'm just a regular 18 year old girl. I keep my webcam off usually, only after talking to someone for a while on Omegle and knowing they're not a creep, do I let them see me. Then I just add them on Skype and we become friends. I'm just looking to expand my social circle really out of boredom, and it's not like I'm on there stripping or anything. Should I just stop this or should I continue? There are some really good looking guys on there too sometimes and we just talk about random things like where we're from how our day was etc.

Why would you stop when you've already demonstrated a method for filtering the 'creeps' and generating friendships?

Seriously; Why bother creating a thread of 'Hi! Im doing something I like and which is going well... should I stop??'

It makes no sense.

(Original post by Reue)
    Why would you stop when you've already demonstrated a method for filtering the 'creeps' and generating friendships?

Seriously; Why bother creating a thread of 'Hi! Im doing something I like and which is going well... should I stop??'

It makes no sense.
    Because I'm pretty sure if I told my friends or family they'd just say something like 'what the hell are you playing at?' or words to that effect. I personally don't have much of an issue with it, but others I know would find it strange/outrageous. I mean, as soon as I see someone that looks creepy, I click next straight away so I really do try to filter the creeps out.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm pretty sure if I told my friends or family they'd just say something like 'what the hell are you playing at?' or words to that effect. I personally don't have much of an issue with it, but others I know would find it strange/outrageous. I mean, as soon as I see someone that looks creepy, I click next straight away so I really do try to filter the creeps out.
    But you havnt asked your friends/family.. you've asked a load of strangers who spend time talking to other strangers on an internet forum. It's hardly going to be an unbiased answer is it?

If you feel comfortable, enjoy it and are safe.. what's the problem?

(Original post by Shadoo)
    Pretty sad, I would tell you to stop it tbh. Go out and meet real people.
    I already do have friends in real life and go out with them regularly, I was just bored at 2am so thought I'd go make some more online.

(Original post by Reue)
    But you havnt asked your friends/family.. you've asked a load of strangers who spend time talking to other strangers on an internet forum. It's hardly going to be an unbiased answer is it?

If you feel comfortable, enjoy it and are safe.. what's the problem?
    Yeah I guess there isn't really a problem.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have an issue with; you enjoy it; keep doing it; who cares what others think?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be inclined to agree.

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing what you're doing.

Duh.

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong? No.
    Should you find other ways to expand your social circle? Yes. Go out and meet people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    Keep doing what you're doing.

Duh.

/Thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    /Thread
    Lol ok point made. You're the mod so close it.

I used to use omegle. I stopped quite a while ago because I didn't see any point in it. So is it wrong, then no, not in my opinion. If you're fine with it then keep doing it, but I would suggest getting to know people in real life rather than webcamming strangers you'll never meet, so I would stop if I were you and get out more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.