Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

my girlfriend won't tell her ex she's moved on Watch

I've been with my current girlfriend for about 2 years now, and everything is fine, were both happy. however one of her ex boyfriends has recently tried to contact her multiple times, and she won't let me/her tell him she's moved on and to back off. am i looking into this too much or is something going on?

ReputationRep:
    Well ask her how she would like you doing that to an ex

how she would like me to pester my ex, or for me to ignore my ex and let them continue trying to pester me.. ?

ReputationRep:
    Leave it unless he tries to actually get back with her

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's her choice what to tell him. You don't have a right to just jump in and tell him to 'back off.' If you suspect she's being flirty with him, or such, then you have every right to have a serious conversation with her.

But ultimately, if your girlfriend doesn't want you to say anything, then you should respect that and leave the issue be. Otherwise you risk seriously upsetting her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    how she would like me to pester my ex, or for me to ignore my ex and let them continue trying to pester me.. ?
    Funny how guys mainly only care when they're at risk of losing what they have. I would say tell her to tell him that she has a boyfriend now. Wasn't that the obvious thing to do from the start? And if she refuses to tell him that, it's seriously fishy

(Original post by Temporality)
    Funny how guys mainly only care when they're at risk of losing what they have. I would say tell her to hell him that she has a boyfriend now. Wasn't that the obvious thing to do from the start? And if she refuses to tell him that, it's seriously fishy
    right, as if I've completely ignored her the past 2 years... i did tell her, i quote she said it would be awkward and cause uneccisary drama

(Original post by abbiemac)
    It's her choice what to tell him. You don't have a right to just jump in and tell him to 'back off.' If you suspect she's being flirty with him, or such, then you have every right to have a serious conversation with her.

But ultimately, if your girlfriend doesn't want you to say anything, then you should respect that and leave the issue be. Otherwise you risk seriously upsetting her.

but isn't that a bit unfair on her ex? to be leading him on like that?

ReputationRep:
    If she's already ignoring him, he will get the message. In a way it might be a good thing because replying, even just to tell him to back off and she's moved on, shows that she's acknowledging him and might add fuel to the fire as he's got something to respond to. Ignorance is a clear message of no interest, responding shows there is just enough interest to make the effort to respond, which some people might cling to. If she's ignoring him, he will get bored and I don't really see the issue.

Its not like she's actually engaging in conversation with him.

ReputationRep:
    right, as if I've completely ignored her the past 2 years... i did tell her, i quote she said it would be awkward and cause uneccisary drama
    tell her no it wouldn't he needs to know that it's a lost cause. he's not even with her right now, I'm sure he can deal with it. If he can't then tough luck. Tell her she's being *****y to you and causing 'unecessary drama' with you by not telling him. She seems to care more about avoiding drama with her ex than avoiding drama with the person she's with, and that's just plain unfair
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It does seem odd that she's ignoring him, rather than telling him she's moved on.

ReputationRep:
    but isn't that a bit unfair on her ex? to be leading him on like that?
    If she is leading him on, then yes. But it isn't really down to you to say anything to him.

How do you know she is leading him on? And if you think she is, why don't you talk to your girlfriend about it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.