Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Spoiled girl sues parents over tuition Watch

ReputationRep:
    A girl sued her parents after they refused to pay her tuition. Apparently the girl is spoiled and her parents only asked her to be a better person, do some chores....

ReputationRep:
    Where did you hear this? Link?

I have never gotten tuition and this seems harsh, no reason to sue your parents. I'm sure if they couldn't afford it, it'll be difficult to pay her money.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    If that was my child they would be getting some sort of punishment

Is she mad? What a stupid stupid girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    If that was my child they would be getting some sort of punishment

Is she mad? What a stupid stupid girl
    I agree.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekemini)
    A girl sued her parents after they refused to pay her tuition. Apparently the girl is spoiled and her parents only asked her to be a better person, do some chores....
    https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/21-y...767331362.html

Would have been nice to link the story OP

ReputationRep:
    oh ok.

ReputationRep:
    I remember this, it was in news last year. She obviously has a case: there was reasonable expectation arising from verbal aggrement that payment for college would be made. Refusal breaches the arrangement and therefore parents and liable for expectation damages.

Whether suing parents for your fees is ethical is another issue. Of course US should create student finance similar to Scotland or even England to prevent students having to fork out thousands at age of 20ish but that is similarly another issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decadeofd)
    Another sycophant. What a shame an accident like you slipped through into this world to taint it with your retardation and filth. Remove yourself from the gene pool please.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    After she graduates, parents should sue her for causing distress and trouble for the parents.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A disgusting sense of entitlement... And people wonder why the west is in relative decline with such revoltingly deficient cultural values.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the position is elsewhere, but if you're in full-time education in Scotland, parents have been legally obliged to support you well into your 20s for a long time. It seems reasonable enough.

ReputationRep:
    Update: Update on this story in the NY Post today. The parents have refused to pay and the Judge who wrote the original order for them to pay has refused to hold them in contempt.

FROM THE NY POST
    "The hitch came when Michael Ricci made clear he wasn’t paying a nickel until his daughter showed some respect for her parents’ wishes.

The good news is that Judge Donald Stein, who wrote the original order, has now refused to hold the parents in contempt for defying it. Instead, the case will go to an appeals court, and until that’s resolved, mom and dad won’t have to pay."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.