Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I was thinking about learning Korean and I'm looking for information from anyone who has learnt/ is learning Korean.

How hard is it to self teach, and what sort of difficulties have you encountered?

*I would be a complete novice btw

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    안녕하세요!

Learning Korean can be really fun. I would start by learning Hangul, the writing system - it's super easy (I'd say it would take a week tops if you do a bit each day), and it really helps because the romanization in Korean can be really misleading - it never sounds like how it's romanized! The Korean Wiki Project is a good place start, or just find a hangul chart and make your own flashcards.

From then on, it's a matter of learning grammar and vocab. I'm not that far along here, but Anki is brilliant - it's a flashcard app that uses SRS to reinforce learning. There's loads of shared decks you can download so you don't have to bother making your own flashcards. Other good sites I use are Talk To Me In Korean, Korean Class 101, zKorean. There's so much out there on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and even Instagram too to help you along.

It's also a great idea to surround yourself with the language - I love Korean music so listen to that, which is where I pick up a lot of vocab. TV and films are a good shout too.

Good luck! 화이팅!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesPallett)
    Hi - I was thinking about learning Korean and I'm looking for information from anyone who has learnt/ is learning Korean.

How hard is it to self teach, and what sort of difficulties have you encountered?

*I would be a complete novice btw

Thanks
    If you would like a free structured course then I would definitely recommend howtostudykorean.com
    Since you are a beginner you should start at Unit O which will teach you the basics. They also have a memrise course where you can review all of the vocabulary by lesson. It is such a good website and teaches you not only how to use the language but also helps you understand it. Make sure you review your words!! And once you've got to the point where you want to use your Korean (which you should if you want to make progress) then you can use the website Lang-8.com (write sentences in the language and native speakers correct them) or you could find yourself a language partner on italki.com or hellotalk (an app for iPhone and android)

Hope this helps!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.