The Student Room Group

Should Maths A-level be COMPULSORY

Scroll to see replies

No, I achieved 5A*, 5A 1B and 1c at GCSE. The c was for none other than maths. Maths a level would be suicide. Excuse the crude usage of the word.

As one of the commenters in the article put it:

"This is ridiculous, I got a science degree but was absolute ****e at maths, I could however beat anyone when it came to english and science though. Not everyone is the same, not everyone has the same interests or abilities, lets nuture our differences rather than trying to put us all in the same box shall we!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The GCSE was more than enough for me. Tell me how is a C grade gcse maths student supposed to achieve a sufficient grade at As level maths whilst tackling 4 other a level subjects? I am predicted four As for my As levels in english literature, philosophy. History and critical thinking yet I can assure you the most I would achieve in maths As level is an E. That's putting aside the mental stress I and others in my boat will be put under. Seriously, I don't know what I would do if I had to take maths for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it should be. After passing GCSE maths, students already have a decent understanding of maths; good enough to get them through occupations that involve standard maths.
Original post by Jasaron
I don't think it should be. After passing GCSE maths, students already have a decent understanding of maths; good enough to get them through occupations that involve standard maths.

My sentiments exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dariaandahsfan
No, I achieved 5A*, 5A 1B and 1c at GCSE. The c was for none other than maths. Maths a level would be suicide. Excuse the crude usage of the word.

As one of the commenters in the article put it:

"This is ridiculous, I got a science degree but was absolute ****e at maths, I could however beat anyone when it came to english and science though. Not everyone is the same, not everyone has the same interests or abilities, lets nuture our differences rather than trying to put us all in the same box shall we!"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C in maths also, I would feel the same about A-level! and that quote is true in my case,I take both English Lit and Chemistry and can do both extremely well but for some reason when it comes to Maths in Chemistry I understand it SO much better;my normal maths is lacking, maybe it's the way the questions are worded.
Reply 6
I got an A in GCSE maths (despite drawing in my maths book most lessons) and there is no way in hell I ever would have been able to do A level maths.

I couldn't think of anything worse than to be forced to do maths for a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Dariaandahsfan
The GCSE was more than enough for me. Tell me how is a C grade gcse maths student supposed to achieve a sufficient grade at As level maths whilst tackling 4 other a level subjects? I am predicted four As for my As levels in english literature, philosophy. History and critical thinking yet I can assure you the most I would achieve in maths As level is an E. That's putting aside the mental stress I and others in my boat will be put under. Seriously, I don't know what I would do if I had to take maths for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly me. I got 4As*, 2As 1 B and a C at GCSE, B + C being science and Maths

I'm currently doing english at KCL. Lord knows how I would have gotten in if I was being forced to do maths
Should/could only be compulsory if they integrated it into the GCSE curriculum. Quite a lot of students fail the A*-C range at Mathematics so it'd only make it hell for the 38% that failed the A*-C

Even then, those that actually do achieve the C will be vastly challenged by the content since the crossover is only made at the A*/A/B grade level topics.
Did Maths at AS and I wondered what the **** was going on for most of the time (was fortunate enough to get an A* at GCSE but that didn't help me!). It wasn't relevant to real life at all and I certainly won't find it useful (except maybe if I ever decide to measure the rate at which water flows out the bath taps and leaves via the plug hole and then want to calculate how fast the bath fills up but anyway, I digress. GCSE was far more relevant and gave you skills you needed- even though parts of that too were a little irrelevant. GCSE alone is more than enough.
Core Maths is compulsory for A-level students next year anyway, which is a bridge between GCSE and A-level Maths. I don't see why those in careers who don't need a high ability in Maths should be forced to take the full A-level - being good with numbers isn't the only requisite for a strong economy and future development.
but you need teachers who can ensure that the students fully understand the topic and feel confident that they can pass the exam
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Did Maths at AS and I wondered what the **** was going on for most of the time (was fortunate enough to get an A* at GCSE but that didn't help me!). It wasn't relevant to real life at all and I certainly won't find it useful (except maybe if I ever decide to measure the rate at which water flows out the bath taps and leaves via the plug hole and then want to calculate how fast the bath fills up but anyway, I digress. GCSE was far more relevant and gave you skills you needed- even though parts of that too were a little irrelevant. GCSE alone is more than enough.

I always wished they would make a different GCSE maths for people like me. Like a course were you just learn stuff you are obviously going to use.

I would be happy learning to figure out how to measure areas to figure out how much carpet I want to buy or Taxes or something.
Original post by LadyMede
I always wished they would make a different GCSE maths for people like me. Like a course were you just learn stuff you are obviously going to use.

I would be happy learning to figure out how to measure areas to figure out how much carpet I want to buy or Taxes or something.

but you did well in the exam and cared about your grade youre not mentally deficient :smile: i wish my teacher cared about my maths grade i achieved a C with the help of initiative and dedication :smile: i asked my teacher on how i could im improved but he said that there was no point i should stick to E-D grade topics :frown: im not gonna lie maths is hard and i wish i got an A or A*
Reply 14

Personally I think yes it should, but the whole maths curriculum throughout school needs to be more rigorous. While I was doing simultaneous equations in Year 7, some children at schools were doing them in Year 10, so I would love to know what people do in state schools during the years 5-10 in maths classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sophiamarni
but you did well in the exam and cared about your grade youre not mentally deficient :smile: i wish my teacher cared about my maths grade i achieved a C with the help of initiative and dedication :smile: i asked my teacher on how i could im improved but he said that there was no point i should stick to E-D grade topics :frown: im not gonna lie maths is hard and i wish i got an A or A*

That is a terrible thing for a teacher to say :mad:

I had a lovely teacher , I really struggled to get a C but she always offered me lots of help. Before I went into the exam, she told me I would do it and that she believed in me :colondollar:
That is a terrible thing for a teacher to say :mad:

I had a lovely teacher , I really struggled to get a C but she always offered me lots of help. Before I went into the exam, she told me I would do it and that she believed in me :colondollar:

im crying here stuffing my face with left over turkey :smile: i wish i went to your school, your teacher seems nice :frown:
I believe the GCSE provides individuals with satisfactory numeric skills, especially considering the vast majority of students who do not take maths to A level will most probably not be pursuing a math orientated profession. Alluding to the idea that mathematical skills will gradually be lost; I think that's the same in regards to most skills. Though basic maths (so not trigonometry etc, but the maths actually needed for non maths based jobs like basic arithmetic, times tables etc) is like riding a bicycle. I doubt, under normal circumstances ( since I believe it's safe to assume people will be subjected to basic mathematical situations in their every day life eg telling the time, paying, taxes etc..) that it will be forgotten.

Maths is very hard. Although I do not believe it solely due to talent, if your interests does not lie in maths then it will be a very difficult subject to continue onto higher education. Any subject that you do not find interesting, will challenge you extraordinarily at A level. (Regardless of its difficulty. Motivation goes hand in hand with ability)

Critical thinking is not a compulsory subject at my Sixthform ; it is an optional extra subject along with the EPQ (though I have heard of places where it is.) Making maths compulsory would not be appropriate considering the cost-benefit analysis. If maths is to be made compulsory at A level, what about english? Or the sciences? Etc?

True about the GCSE-to-Alevel predictions. Yet, I would not be able to stomach any more maths. I believe it got to the point of tears last year. As well as this, my predicted grade for critical thinking is far more achievable than any grade of worth ( so a C or above) in a level maths. Wasting a year studying maths to achieve a grade that is not useful for jobs that require maths, (when I already know I do not wish to obtain a job that requires more than GCSE based maths) seems rather an in appropriate use of my time. Besides this, the educational reforms are brought forth too quickly. In this way, students are not given enough time to adjust to the changes. The gap between GCSE and Alevels would have to be dealt with first and foremost. The GCSE is sufficient for basic maths and jobs that require as such, but not as a progression route for the focused a level form of mathematical study. Moreover, at my school, you have to ideally achieved an A grade at GCSE to take Alevel maths, a B would be pushing it though they may consider you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
No, what a ridiculous idea. Just make the GCSE harder, rather than forcing everyone to take it till A level.
/thread
That is exactly me. I got 4As*, 2As 1 B and a C at GCSE, B + C being science and Maths

I'm currently doing english at KCL. Lord knows how I would have gotten in if I was being forced to do maths

Exactly. It seems rather an excessive thing to say, but I do not know how I would have gotten through this year if I had to do maths.

How is KCL btw? I'm thinking of applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest