Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Has/Is anybody taking their Driving Lessons with the AA? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My main gripe with the AA isn't the price but if they're more interested in being good salesman than instructors.

So, I've done 20 hours, doing 3 maybe 4 lessons a month. Automatic transmission.

Here's my concern: In the 20 hours of driving I have done, I have only done 1 Manouver: 3 Point Turn.

I haven't done Hill Starts, Parralel Parking, Perpindicular Parking, Emergency Stops, Reversing around bends or much reversing at all. I only went on a 40mph Dual carrigeway on my last lesson? Is this normal or very slow progress? A lot of other AA users have told me they feel the same, that they're feel they're agressive salesman.

I'm seriously considering changinf my driver. When I first started (1st lesson) he said the minimum is 40 hours. Now I've done 20, I asked him if I need 20 more? His reply was ' I dunno, i'll tell you when you're ready '. Then tried to tell me I need to do 'More Junctions' when I've done Junctions for hours with no problems!? What do I do?

I live in SE London and drive around SW London fine.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like they're milking you for cash.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done automatic lessons myself but if instructor is saying '<number of hours> you need for minimum' then that's a red alert straight away. Each learner is different and they learn at different pace, you cannot just say 'minimum of that many hours'. I have completed learning to drive a manual in 36 hours and I heard that learning to drive an automatic is much easier, so I don't see why it would take you 40 hours minimum

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Suldok;52467857]I haven't done automatic lessons myself but if instructor is saying '

Got a new instructor!!!

ReputationRep:
    I used to receive lessons from AA. I won a competition to get 20 free lessons but he took me out for 10 - 2 hour lessons (odd for instructors around my area) and I know he wasted them so I could begin paying. I would do a maneuver for about 15-20 mins of each lesson and drive for the rest of the 2 hour lesson. I suppose it improved my general driving but I he would move onto a different maneuver each lesson even if I wasn't all that good at the previous despite telling him. Also, as the 20 free lessons were coming to an end, he booked me in for another 3 which would have to be paid but didn't tell me this and never ever mentioned theory to me. I really don't recommend anyone going with AA - they're really just out for your money, quite expensive also!

ReputationRep:
    I went with the AA and I had no problems! I also did my Pass Plus course with them too. I ended up paying my instructor directly though and got the lessons for a cheaper price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_01)
    I went with the AA and I had no problems! I also did my Pass Plus course with them too. I ended up paying my instructor directly though and got the lessons for a cheaper price
    How many hours did you do before passing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catholic_)
    How many hours did you do before passing?
    Around 40 hours in total! 😊

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.