Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Muslim girl Christian boy Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    Is that what you meant about Christians? That they don't follow their faith literally enough because they don't agree with aspects of it?

Also how does the Quran justify than Muslim men can marry Christian women but not the other way round?
    There are reasons behind it. When my Christian friend first found out about this, he was asking me about it as he initially thought it is sexist that Muslim men can marry Jewish and Christian women, but Muslim women can only marry Muslim men. It is justified and there are reasons behind it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a Pet Shop Boys song title.

(Original post by elohssa)
    Another muslim with small penis syndrome.
    Another non muslim whos butthurt and cant accept the truth
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Your feelings are the truth. Believe them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all the great responses. I'd like to clarify a few points that were raised:

My family know of our relationship.Whilst they're obviously not thrilled about it, they're not really strict but set some guidelines. They probably think it's an infatuation and wont be long term,so aren't too worried about the whole muslim/christian marriage dilemma. They themselves were in similar situations when they were younger. So I'm not really worried about my family. His family have mixed views.

It's all very confusing for me. I can't imagine breaking up with him,and honestly I don't want to. I don't feel what I'm doing is wrong,but obviously religion says something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for a great response.

Addressing the family issue: of course my parents would want me to marry a Muslim, but they wouldn't force it,and if I didn't marry one they'd accept it. So I honestly don't see family being a big problem. He's half the ethnicity i am,but again this wouldn't be a problem.

What would you say the main factor was that made you end the relationship. Was it family or..? You're a Muslim male(i think) so Islamically you're allowed to marry a Christian woman.
    Well the main factor was that we couldn't convince each other to convert and she couldn't marry me because her faith doesn't allow it.

I guess the family issue from my side wouldn't have been big for me as long as I achieved my career goals but it was a big issue from her side and that made it near impossible.

When I was your age, I was confronted with the same issue and at that stage I was thinking just like you and I had made my mind up that I wasn't gonna leave her even if I asked people for advise. I just hope you don't make the same mistake.

It may seem impossible atm to leave him but there is no way around it and at the end of the day there is very little or no chance at all for anything to happen between you two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Espeon196)
    There are reasons behind it. When my Christian friend first found out about this, he was asking me about it as he initially thought it is sexist that Muslim men can marry Jewish and Christian women, but Muslim women can only marry Muslim men. It is justified and there are reasons behind it.
    By the way, what are those reasons?

I'm not Muslim, but if you want to go against a verse of the Quran and you really love him, go for it. Surely not all Muslims take everything in the Quran literally, e.g
    Allah didn't actually make us out of clay, and even religion has to adapt with the times- we're not the same people as 7th century nomads in Arabia? Although if you're parents are strict, you must choose between them (and Allah) or your boyfriend.

By the way, if you have children with a non-Muslim, would you insist they be raised Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion you have to do what is right for you
    you are 17 what if your parents find out?are they strict will they not allow it?
    do you think thiss relationship will last forever? otherwise you should go with what YOU think is right...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    By the way, what are those reasons?

I'm not Muslim, but if you want to go against a verse of the Quran and you really love him, go for it. Surely not all Muslims take everything in the Quran literally, e.g
    Allah didn't actually make us out of clay, and even religion has to adapt with the times- we're not the same people as 7th century nomads in Arabia? Although if you're parents are strict, you must choose between them (and Allah) or your boyfriend.

By the way, if you have children with a non-Muslim, would you insist they be raised Muslim?
    The reasons are quite obvious, I don't think I need to explain them. I guess they can go for it if they want, we can only advise them to such an extent, the end decision is theirs.
    God did create man out of clay.
    Yes we are not in the 7th century, but the verses in the Quran are timeless.
    My parents aren't strict, but they would still have a stigma against that if I wanted to marry a non-Muslim/non people of the book. This is a serious issue.

And for the last one, I don't think I need to worry about that because I'm not marrying a non-Muslim.

(Original post by jenkinsear)
    Given she likes him for who he is now- i.e. a Christian guy with x and y characteristics- why exactly should he have to change and why would you want him to? Only in the eyes of religious extremists and ISIS-apologists is dating someone of a different faith ever a problem. Personally I'm happy for OP and her boyfriend; I hope neither of them lets bigotry get in the way of their relationship.
    Dude c'mon ISIS apologists? Why even bring that into this? I think all he meant was that maybe he'll convert which will make this whole relationship a lot easier just because they'll probs have a lot more in common! Why react so dramatically?

Not muslim so don't try and call me a 'ISIS apologist' or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruptured Sack)
    Same reason some white guys fancy their chances with asian and black women and then get pissy if a white girl has a black boyfriend.
    Lmao

ReputationRep:
    At 17, I would not worry about such things, its still too young to be worrying about such things. The only correct piece of advice anyone can offer you, is that you do what you think is right and consistent with your own conscious. If being in this relationship is going to make you deeply unhappy, because it contradicts your own conscious, than you should leave this relationship. At the end of the day, its your own actions and conscious that shall be measured, judged and that you must live with.

If however, you are happy in this relationship and wish to continue than do so, because even if its a 'sin' than its just one 'sin' and does not negate your overall character, relationship to God and general moral sense.

I'm speaking from experience, I'm living with my lukewarm Christian boyfriend and myself have an excellent relationship with God, Islamic mysticism and have re-built bridges with my family.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even sure how they'd pull off the interfaith relationship as a metaphor. It's pretty clear in the Quran/hadith. Tbf I've never even seen this one done as a metaphor.

Muslim women can't marry Christian men. Simple And dating is forbidden, regardless of religion.
    But Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian Women. Sorry wait, Muslim men are allowed to marry FOUR Christian women at the same time. Hell wait, 4 Christian/Jewish/Muslim women at the same time. OH WAIT THERE IS MORE, In addition to their 4 wives, Muslim men are allowed to have intercourse with as many female prisoners of war (slaves) as they like. i.e. concubines.

(btw these are not disputed rules, they are all explicitly mentioned in the quran, all muslims agree on these rules, they can't hide behind metaphors, they just dont like to talk about them openly)

Muslim women are allowed to have one MUSLIM husband that's it.

Fair religion my ass.

*Will now be smothered in crap about the importance of preserving Islam for future children in God's eyes through women etc from angry muslims*

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that people are lecturing a 17 year old girl on interfaith marriages.

I also can't believe that there are still people who claim that we're made of clay.

(Original post by geneticist)
    I can't believe that people are lecturing a 17 year old girl on interfaith marriages.

I also can't believe that there are still people who claim that we're made of clay.
    Um shes Muslim. We have a right to..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Lmao
    Not me though

ReputationRep:
    Um shes Muslim. We have a right to..
    You don't have a 'right' to lecture anyone. You can advise, accepting that other opinions of the matter may also have validity. But speaking to someone as if she should agree 100% with your view is wrong.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.