Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Do you think you will ever want children? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which of these statements most accurately matches your position?
    I want to have children
    50.37%
    I want to remain childless
    22.22%
    I may want to have children in the future
    27.41%

ReputationRep:
    Poll above.

Personally, I am adamant that I want to remain childless, though I am open to the idea of marriage.

Mainly because the idea of going through at least 18 more years of education fills me with dread. Otherwise, the financial burden and loss of liberty turn me against the idea.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly want to have children, but I appreciate if I had a wife she might feel differently, so maybe one day. Not any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    I don't ever want to have children. To quote an old thread I started, this is my attitude:

I can't see it ever being a possibility. For one thing, kids drive me nuts, especially when they always go out of their own way to be disobedient as exhibited in schools (people in my class always used to be disruptive when I was in school and it really peeved me off). The concept of potentially having to raise a child (if my future partner demands it) depresses me, because of the high level of commitment involved, the fact that it would give my life a more deterministic turn and my offspring taking over would be a further cynical reminder that my time on Earth is limited and finite. I can see raising a child a very financial and psychological drain on me as I am slightly autistic and experience moments of depression and anxiety, so raising a child would not benefit me in the slightest. I would want to be in complete control of my life and make sure I satisfy myself (by keeping fit, being in academia and playing music) and make sure I am stable rather than create a huge compromise in my life by meeting someone who desperately wants children (as most women seem to).

What annoys me even more, is that when I tell people I don't want kids (e.g. my parents, friends) they're like "You can't decide yet" or "The time will come when is right" but this annoys me because it implies that I'm being expected to have children or that my views simply aren't valid. Furthermore, I hate how there is generally a fair bit of pressure and expectation from society for people to have children, and to point it out when someone doesn't want them (similarly for settling down and getting married). It seems to imply that there is only one way to live.

I don't see what the fuss is about wanting to have kids and I think most people only have them because it's the "done thing" or because it is human nature to reproduce, so people just do it without fully thinking about why. I don't have a problem with what other people choose to do but I just can't see how it would benefit me, especially since many people my age are wanting to get engaged/married and have children and stuff, whereas I'm finishing my undergraduate degree next year and I barely feel like my life has even begun!

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Waste of time and money, plus they stop you from being able to do stuff.

I would definitely get married though, to someone else who doesn't want kids.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Don't know. Hard to tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Nope. Waste of time and money, plus they stop you from being able to do stuff.

I would definitely get married though, to someone else who doesn't want kids.
    haha wish your parents had thought like that

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not at the moment, and I can't really imagine wanting to at all. But I'll be a different man in 10 years so who knows how Ill feel about it in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinnylove25)
    haha wish your parents had thought like that
    You mad?

Why should I have a kid if I don't like them? Just because people are supposed to have kids?

It's better for me to not have kids, rather than have some I don't care about.

ReputationRep:
    I quite agree. Nothing is the cause of more human misery than people having children they aren't prepared to properly nurture.

ReputationRep:
    You mad?

Why should I have a kid if I don't like them? Just because people are supposed to have kids?

lol, I don't care about you or your life, have kids , don't have them, same to me

ReputationRep:
    This question can have me writing an entire essay. It's something I have deeply considered, especially this year since I've been taking care of my nephew (almost 21 months old) so much.

I never used to want kids. At least, not until veeery recently. I've always hated the idea of bringing innocent lives into this cruel, **** filled world. Plus the financial aspect was really worrying because I never knew who my baby daddy would be and I always knew that if I had kids then I definitely wouldn’t want to work a lot. The first 3 years of an infant's life are critical, and I refuse to be the type of parent who leaves the kid to someone else if I don’t absolutely have to. Plus I have this unusual maternal side to me so even though I don’t like the idea of having kids, I really, really want kids just so I can take care of them and call them mine. :innocent:

A while ago my boyfriend told me that he wants to have four children. :eek: I always thought that if I ever had a kid then it would just be an accident. I never thought I'd even consider having four. :eek: The other day he said to me that he wants me to have his children. I love that he thinks that because it shows just how invested he is in this relationship and that he thinks so highly of me even though he knows what a ****ing nutter I am. Still, I'm terrified of having four little brats running around screaming "mummy I want 10 iPads for Christmas! Mummy, Bob won't let me play with his balloon!" It would be a ****ing nightmare! I'm not afraid of the financial side of things if it's him that I have kids with because instead wasting so much time working, I can spend more time on my kids. (I’d still like to work part time/whenever I can because I have a thing about financial independence.) Also, he’s more rational and more controlling than I am (that’s saying something! ) so I know he won’t take any bull**** if his children take the piss. Discipline is really important for him. He gets annoyed when I’m really impatient and when I give into anything, it would be funny seeing him be even worse on his own kids.

I think I’m only warming up to the idea because of my boyfriend. Before him I always planned to be an early years teacher because I love children but never wanted to have to deal with them at home. They’re just so needy and such a hassle! I always imagined an easy life for me. Kids are really bloody difficult. Guys are put off for reasons like the financial aspects, lost opportunities, waste of time, etc., etc. Girls who haven’t had experience with kids say the same things. Those who have had experience with kids (me!) are put off because you DO NOT get ANY time for yourself. My panic post in this thread mostly explain why.

TL;DR If my baby daddy is my current boyfriend then I’m open to the idea. If for some reason we end up breaking up, I'll be childfree forever! Or I may even consider adoption/fostering just so I don't become crazy cat lady. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    I do, but not until I'm financially ready and have a secure, pleasant environment to raise them in. Currently I can't meet either criteria so I think it would be cruel of me to have kids.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No. I've have never liked kids. They annoy me, bore me and I've never seen the appeal in having them. I'm all for other people having them but they aren't for me and I've known this from a young age. Luckily I'm with someone who feels the same way. We will just stick to cats and dogs. Like you OP, I could do marriage but I'm not up for ever having kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't think of anything worse - I will change carriages on a train if a child gets on.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to have children provided it was with someone I love and not for a few years at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why does everyone here seem to be child hating idiots. kids are only screaming brats if u allow them to be like that and raise them that way.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.