The Student Room Group

Do you think you will ever want children?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
I don't see any reason why that should be 'the point of life'. Seems like an arcane attitude left over from the days when fundamentalist Christianity ruled the West

Actually quite logical.

One may not like nature, one may even wish to defy nature.. But I do believe that we exist to breed (granted I actually support a degree of selective breeding and liberal eugenics anyway).
Original post by Rakas21
Actually quite logical.

One may not like nature, one may even wish to defy nature.. But I do believe that we exist to breed (granted I actually support a degree of selective breeding and liberal eugenics anyway).

Insofar that a species that doesn't have that collective urge isn't going to survive the process of natural selection. There isn't a divine purpose to it. It's just an accident. If all of humanity collectively got to the point where we all went, hang on, what's the point in this and just uploaded ourselves into some virtual reality paradise to live the rest of our day the human race would go extinct. Which in itself would be a utterly meaningless accident but a novel way for a species to go.

Basically. Life is just one big meaningless cauldron of interacting chemicals :indiff:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't necessarily hate children or anything but still I very much doubt it.
Original post by Rakas21
Actually quite logical.

We 'exist to breed' only on an extremely limited and basic level that reduces us from the Mozarts and Brunels we are to walking, half-wit sacks of DNA who can only hope to achieve distinction in the simple act of survival. Even then there will be many people whose natures do not follow this and would be better off not doing so. Following this social mantra regardless is the cause of more misery than anything else on Earth.

With our level of consciousness as a species and in today's world where opportunities are better than ever before the idea that the over-riding purpose of a human being's life is to reproduce becomes more and more ridiculous, and also more and more counterproductive when population levels are now higher than optimal.
Original post by Rakas21
Actually quite logical.

That's a pretty circular argument - we live to breed...so that we can carry on breeding. What's the point? It's no more a reason than anything else.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
That's a pretty circular argument - we live to breed...so that we can carry on breeding. What's the point? It's no more a reason than anything else.

Its the genetic reason and it drives our instincts. Clearly as sentient beings we can ascribe whatever meaning we want to life but that will not change the fact that the need to breed is written into your genetic code.
Original post by Rakas21
Its the genetic reason and it drives our instincts. Clearly as sentient beings we can ascribe whatever meaning we want to life but that will not change the fact that the need to breed is written into your genetic code.

The problem, this instinctual reason is what's best for the species, but not what's best for the individual. If there is a "need to breed" in our genetic code, I for one that feel that need. Biological imperative, instinct, best for species, whatever - that doesn't mean that having children is immune from financial and practical due diligence.

P.S. I also don't want kids. I can see a lot in parenting that I'd love to experience but the practicalities and what I've seen in my family put me off. Besides all my friends say to me "You're not a parent so it's ok for you" :P
I think so, yeah
No, children are annoying. I actually want to enjoy my life.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
No I don't want children.

I'm just trying to work out how to break to gently to the kids.

:rofl:
Not that I dislike kids or anything, I helped out at a preschool my mum worked at and got along well with the kids, but I don't have the parenting gene. I think it skipped a generation....or a few generations lmao.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
No, children are annoying. I actually want to enjoy my life.

Become one of these people who lives their lives through their children.

I will personally disown my son if he has not won at least 3 Olympic gold medals, graduated from Oxford with a 1st in engineering and travelled the world by the time he is 20
Original post by Abdukazam
Become one of these people who lives their lives through their children.

I will personally disown my son if he has not won at least 3 Olympic gold medals, graduated from Oxford with a 1st in engineering and travelled the world by the time he is 20

Nah. :smile:

And, like most of TSR then? ;:h:
Nah. :smile:

And, like most of TSR then? ;:h:

If my future son used TSR he'd have a 'tragic accident' on holiday.
If my future son used TSR he'd have a 'tragic accident' on holiday.

:colonhash: Evil
So despite always being told I am good with children, I actually really dislike children... mainly young children. So if I were to have children it's going to happen quite late... at least after I've established a career and have a decent house and ****.

I've almost decided that I'm probs not going to get married and that if I decide to, I only want to adopt a kid because I ain't about that pregnancy lark :yucky:
:colonhash: Evil

Exactly. That little ungrateful brat.
Exactly. That little ungrateful brat.

:colonhash:
Original post by Rakas21
Its the genetic reason and it drives our instincts.

Is it?

Or do we just like orgasms?

Spoiler

Reply 139
I have a feeling I will change my mind some day. people always tell me that as you get older you do think about it more and more, despite how adamant you were to not procreate in the past

Quick Reply

Latest