Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Going to uni far away from home... and my boyfriend Watch

I'm currently torn between two universities: Southampton, which is 30 minutes up the road, and York, on the other side of the country. I always told myself that I wouldn't let myself be swayed by how far away the university is because I thought it was dumb and petty. But as the time to decide looms closer it's really starting to bother me.
    You see, my boyfriend of two years who I genuinely want to spend the rest of my life with isn't planning on going far at all. He's applied to Winchester, Bath Spa and a bunch of other places down here in the South. So if he stays down here and I go up to York I'm worried that we'll lose contact, and I'm worried I won't be able to cope not seeing him for months on end.
    As far as the cities and courses (I'm looking to study history) are concerned, York is just on top. Just. But then there's also the issue that if I stay too close to home I won't get the real "university lifestyle" or whatever.
    I feel like such a baby for letting a relationship dictate my future and at the same time I don't want to lose what I have with my boyfriend.
    I'd really appreciate it if anybody has some advice on the matter. Perhaps you are facing or have faced a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the uni you really want to. Work to sustain your relationship. See what happens.

ReputationRep:
    if your relationship is strong enough to want to be with each other for the rest of your lives it should deal with distance, and if it breaks you up it obviously wasn't a strong enough relationship

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.