Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Explanation of forming bonds,ionic and covalent bonds Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me forming bonds,ionic and covalent bonds not from a textbook or wikipedia for homework in simple words what I understand so far from this topic is that Each electron’s goal is to have a full outer shell the less protons needed to form a full outer shell the more reactive an element is therefore elements give or take another elements protons to form a full outer shell so they will be stable and unreactive. can you please correct me if i am wrong and use scientific keywords and explain them to me if needed thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The formation of ionic bonds:
    Ionic bonding occurs between metals and nonmetals, so if you look at the periodic table and take and element from group 1, sodium and one from group 7, chlorine, the two would bond ionically. Sodium has one electron on it's outermost shell and to gain a full outer shell, or noble gas state, it's easiest if sodium loses one electron than tries to gain another 7 on it's outer shell. Chlorine on the other hand has seven electrons on it's outer she'll and it needs one electron to gain a full outer shell and noble gas state.
    Sodium gives it's outer electron away, thus gaining a noble gas state and a positive charge..(Na+) Chlorine accepts the electron and gains a negative charge (Cl-)
    The two are attracted to each other because they have opposite charges. This attraction is known as an electrostatic force of attraction. This is what holds the structure of sodium chloride.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    Can someone please explain to me forming bonds,ionic and covalent bonds not from a textbook or wikipedia for homework in simple words what I understand so far from this topic is that Each electron’s goal is to have a full outer shell the less protons needed to form a full outer shell the more reactive an element is therefore elements give or take another elements protons to form a full outer shell so they will be stable and unreactive. can you please correct me if i am wrong and use scientific keywords and explain them to me if needed thank you.
    Where you've spoken about your current understanding, I'm not sure if you meant electrons instead of protons because it makes a bit more sense, as I've explained with the ionic bonding

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Covalent bonding:
    Covalent bonding occurs between two non metals, it can also occur between one type of atom, so nitrogen for example can bond with another nitrogen atom by covalently bonding to form a diatomic molecule of nitrogen.
    Covalent bonding means sharing electrons. It also means more than one electron can be shared.
    Nitrogen has five electrons on it's outer shell and it shares three electrons with another nitrogen which also shares three of it's outer electrons. This means that the two have eight electrons on it's outer she'll and have gained noble gas state Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419597082.846171.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  14.9 KB
    The picture should explain what it looks like, sorry I chose a hard example I'll do an easier one
    Hydrogen for example, has one electron on it's outermost(first) shell. Two hydrogens share one electron each so it has two electrons on it's outer shell and a noble gas state because on the first shell only two electrons can 'fit'. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419597332.646425.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  47.2 KB
    Hopefully you can see the diagram

I hope that helped
    Also, covalent bonds don't conduct electricity because they have no free electrons to do so (because electrons carry electrical charge)
    Between two covalent bonds there are intermolecular forces which are weak because two molecules that have noble gas states will simply not attract, purely because they don't need any more electrons and they are 'happy' in their noble gas state. Intermolecular forces like these can easily be broken and so the molecules can easily be separated from each other. Because of this, the molecule has a low melting point. To break apart the covalent bonds within the molecule, is quite hard because covalent bonds are strong.

Sorry for rambling, chemistry is cool 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that helpful exampe have a nice day

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.