I'm currently doing my AS levels and want to apply to durham to study law when I have done my A Levels (English Lit, Eng Lang, RS, Sociology - realistic chance for A's).
However I'm really worrying I don't have enough extra cirricular/work exp...I'm not sure what to do or if there are any courses I could go on...plz help.
Rep for most useful
Turn on thread page Beta
Work Experience for Law...! (REP) watch
- Thread Starter
- 18-10-2006 21:32
- 18-10-2006 21:36
there is the Exploring Law course at Nottingham Uni in March the website is
It hasnt been updated for the 2007 session yet but u can ring at ask for more info.
also this summer if u want to jsut do 2weeks work exp in a solictors (pref one clsoe to ure nearest courts) and that'll be good to put down.
but yeh the course at Notts its really really good, i recommend doing the Plus and the Edge bit as well.
(Original post by ohyeahoh)
- 18-10-2006 22:58
I'm really worrying I don't have enough extra cirricular/work exp...I'm not sure what to do or if there are any courses I could go on
1. Cambridge Law Conference is around March time for anyone wants to study law but places are allocated by ballot cos the demand is so high - more info should be on their website
2. Law Taster Courses - as mtbab said, there's the one at Nottingham and I think there's also one at Oxford. The University of London organises them too cos I went to one at KCL this June/July.
3. Summer Schools - there's the Sutton Trust in the Summer or quite a few different Aim Higher ones - they're mainly for people whose families dont have much experience of uni
4. Shadowing schemes - where you spend a few days shadowing a student of the uni - dont know if they do this at durham but know they deffo do for Oxbridge
5. Work Experience - obv, this is harder to get but try to get contacts through teachers at school. Or do what I did - choose a well known barrister and basically stalk him/her! I did this with Lord Carlile - sent letters to all his 3chambers and the House of Lords, and it did the trick.
6. Gifted & Talented (NAGTY) - don't know if you're in this but if you are then milk it for all it's worth by going on courses, contributing to the magazine, attending the Summer School etc. Might be worth investigating anyway because I think you don't have to be involved through school, can apply to join outside of school.
7. Bar Mock Trial - Get your school involved in this. I dont know all the details or dates, so you might need to google it.
Hope this'll help - i'm sorry if its biased towards Oxbridge, its just that I'm applying to Oxford, so I know all the stuff that happens there!
- Thread Starter
- 18-10-2006 23:21
Thanks both of you
Alicemo i'll rep u 2moz
Good luck with the oxbridge app