Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've had a tough time with GCSEs because I have really bad anxiety and thinking about working makes me panic and go into a dissociative zone where I literally sit and do nothing. I'm trying to work past it because I know I need to suck it up and work hard, but I have immense difficulty getting started and generally just ignore my homework or coursework or revision. Any tips? I've got a fair bit of natural intelligence, but because I panic and shut down I don't know how I'll get revising - I get scared and forget everything!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I'm sorry about your anxiety.

Although it is important to think about the end goal if it stresses you out don't think much about, you thinking about getting X amount of As isn't going to happen if you don't put the work in.

I suggest you don't treat work like a chore, just read through the chapter and condense it into a double A4 page. You can make revision fun, watch YouTube videos if you want, using whiteboard pens you can write on your mirror, or even record yourself saying stuff. Split things into bitesize chunks and start up by doing half an hour to an hour a day. Soon you'll be doing 5 hours easily. Also remember its good to set both short term and long term goals so you know what you're aiming for e.g. learn ionic bonding and getting 90% on my Chem mock etc.

Don't worry about forgetting everything, keep going over it and it will stick in your long term memory. Your brain will recognise it when it comes to your exam if it seems familiar so do lots of practice papers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noshahmad)
    Firstly I'm sorry about your anxiety.

Although it is important to think about the end goal if it stresses you out don't think much about, you thinking about getting X amount of As isn't going to happen if you don't put the work in.

I suggest you don't treat work like a chore, just read through the chapter and condense it into a double A4 page. You can make revision fun, watch YouTube videos if you want, using whiteboard pens you can write on your mirror, or even record yourself saying stuff. Split things into bitesize chunks and start up by doing half an hour to an hour a day. Soon you'll be doing 5 hours easily. Also remember its good to set both short term and long term goals so you know what you're aiming for e.g. learn ionic bonding and getting 90% on my Chem mock etc.

Don't worry about forgetting everything, keep going over it and it will stick in your long term memory. Your brain will recognise it when it comes to your exam if it seems familiar so do lots of practice papers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really good advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agreed

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.