The Student Room Group

Attendance at your college/school

I'm 6 weeks into my A-levels and was really ill last week and so missed most of my lessons. My attendance fell to 76%. The "Director of studies" said to me yesterday unless my attendance gets back up to 90%, I will be kicked out. I explained I was ill and she just blanked me. How unfair is that? What is your school/college like about attendance?

(sorry i've just realised this is in the wrong category(should be in general discussion)
Reply 1
Very strict, if you have an overall attendance of below 85% throughout Years 12 and 13, then you will not be entered for any exams.
I think it's pretty fair to be honest though.
Reply 2
My school are quite strict, not that strict though! Get a doctor's note to show you were ill, the school won't be able to contest that. I was ill last year and my attendance fell quite a bit below 90%, so I got a doctor's note and my school were fine with it. It isn't fair if you couldn't help it. Make sure you make an effort to catch up on work though to make a good impression.
Well my school is sort've harsh lol! One teacher reckons i aint been going to her lessons on purpose but in actual fact i dropped double BTEC on Monday so since then i've only been going to the single BTEC lessons! Now she's going on saying how poor my attendence is, i'm like "do i really give a s*d i don't do your lesson anymore" and she don't believe me so is supposed to be sending a thing to me mam n dad bout it!
Reply 4
My attendance was pretty rubbish last year (an average of about 77% i think :eek: ) but they still let me stay at college coz I had good grades. Attending alot more this year then maybe i'll have amazing grades.
Reply 5
Just get a doctor's note and try and catch up and you'll be fine!
Reply 6
My college are really funny about attendence. It goes something like this:

<95% - student's EMA withdrawn + if persistent students put on report
< 85% over whole year - students not entered for exams
<75% Removal from individual subject/ college

Authorised absences are counted towards that percentage though.. they don't just kick people out for being ill.
Yeh we have a little system of if you miss a lesson and you dont have an excuss you go on 'red' or something on the register and then your on contract. After that if you dont do a homework or miss another lesson with out reason bye bye from the course.(The tuter decides if you go on red. So if your tuter nice you can get out of it! :biggrin:) However if you do have good reasons all the time but the attendence userly is about 85% they look up on you.
Reply 8
The college I go to is really oversubscribed for AS so anyone who has below 80% attendance is getting kicked out after half-term... they're also saying that to A2 students..

Latest