Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys;

My landlord is a real bully, runs the property into the ground and refuses to do what he is supposed to, when he is supposed to. We were supposed to have an eletricican to come out and check out the safety of the eletrical appliances he provided. He still hasn't done it and it has been months.

He gets really nasty about basic things; and hates spending money. Ive really ****ed up; I sprayed bleach on the door; because it was really dirty (hasnt been cleaned in months, if not several years) and so thought that I would need to use bleach to santise and clean the area effectively.

There is now massive stains and splotches of discolouration on the door. On the other side of the door, it is white not snow white; but near enough. However, on the side I have sprayed with bleach; it is a creamy-yellow colour; with the white splotches were the bleach has been sprayed.

The damage is quite severe.

Is there anything, anything at all I can do to fix this mess? Id much rather try to fix it myself than talk to my landlord at all.

ReputationRep:
    F**k the landlord!!

The door was filthy. Does he have photos from before you moved in? If not then just deny it.

I have had a bad landlord in the past who did very little to help. However, I think we are lucky in comparison to some stories that I have heard from friends.

With regards to the electrician, call him and say you are going to find one yourself and the bill will be sent to him. Try this, it has worked for me and another friend.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bedsit. Ive been here....nearly two years.

I am not a thief, or some vandal. I am a honest person, and I will put right any damage. I will imdenify him for the damage, or expenses he sustains. He wants to take it out the deposit, or more directly: fair enough. Was a good faith error, not a malicious action. But given how aggressive and combative he is; I am eager to avoid any form of confrontation (esp. given I have severe health problems, and anxiety.)

ReputationRep:
    Two options: Cover the rest of the door with bleach so it is all the same colour, or paint the door.

ReputationRep:
    I am a little confused.

Has the bleach removed the dirt and shown the underlying original paint?

If I painted over the affected areas, would that cover the white spots? Would I need to sand the door etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    I am a little confused.

Has the bleach removed the dirt and shown the underlying original paint?

If I painted over the affected areas, would that cover the white spots? Would I need to sand the door etc?
    I'm guessing that the bleach has removed the dirt but also altered the colour of the paint, which will have yellowed over time. If you wash the remaining bleach off the door, so it doesn't react with the new paint, you should be able to paint over it fine. A purist would certainly sand down the door first, but it hardly sounds like you are living in a place where that would be noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm guessing that the bleach has removed the dirt but also altered the colour of the paint, which will have yellowed over time. If you wash the remaining bleach off the door, so it doesn't react with the new paint, you should be able to paint over it fine. A purist would certainly sand down the door first, but it hardly sounds like you are living in a place where that would be noticed.
    With that in mind then, how do I best choose which shade of colour of paint would be best to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    With that in mind then, how do I best choose which shade of colour of paint would be best to use?
    Whatever it looked like the paint colour was in the first place.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.