Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They register everybody at all my lectures, seminars and tutorials...

Apparantly, if absence becomes a problem you're sent to the head of department for a 'chat.' If you know you're going to be late or absent, you need to call/email the lecturer concerned in advance. That way they get less antsy...

ReputationRep:
    At Manchester registers are taken at every course/seminar and there's hell to pay if you miss too many. People receive letters quite early on and there have been various sanctions taken against people who miss lectures - some have had to repeat course, some repeat year, and some have been thrown out of uni-depending on how many sessions they've missed and warnings they've had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wazzz)
    How do they react to that? I hear some lock the doors..
    Do they get really mad if you are late? Like does it affect the attendance? or is it possible to get kicked out cuz of that?

(i know it may sound silly but its just a question)
    If you can't arrive in time then don't go. We have one lecturer who is great and points all 600 people in the lecturer to the late comers - hilarious. It is really annoying though when you are trying to hear, some people may be struggling to understand and someone comes in late, bangs the door and then proceeds to rummage around their bag.

As for attendance on Aberdeen you must attend practicals/labs/seminars/tutorials/whatever-they-are-called-for-that-class. In psychology if you miss 2 practicals then your grade drops to the lowest pass possible, regardless how well you do. Lectures they strongly advise you to go but it is up to yourself. Few classes pass out a register sheet for lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveLawStuuuudent06)
    LOL quality
    I know, it was crazy! They were screaming and stuff, going 'ahhhh! ahhhh! ahhhh!' and everyone's like...

'what the hell??' :rolleyes:

Random.

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually late for all my 11 o clock wednesday classes. Not through any fault of my own, but due to the fact that the class before that is a 10 minute walk away and the guy will always finish on the dot or after. He kind of forgets about the time a little.

So I think it's a little unfair for people to be penalised for being late, because of timetabling issues. Sometimes they just can't help it.

ReputationRep:
    I think in places like Sheffield Law where there will be 500 people in a lecture it wont be that noticeable, and they can hardly take a register can they. But i guess in other degrees where the intake is pretty small (such as Philo at Sheffield lol) it will probably be a lot more noticed.

I was always under the impression noone careed if u ddint turn up, coz ure an adult now and if u wanna get a crap degree thats up to you lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Newcastle and we have a lot of late people coming in. The other day we had a lecture 9-10 and someone came in at 9:43, walked right across the front of the lecture and proceeded to make lots of noise.

In the first year we used to have occasional registers but that stopped after first year except for the odd lecturer who wanted to know who was there.

Rachael

ReputationRep:
    If you're always going to have to be late for a lecture because of a previous class, then it's best to go and explain that to the lecturer: they should be understanding: on the rare occasion that they're not then you can always go and ask the other lecturer about being able to leave early. Most are great about these things: one of my lecturers would actually keep an eye on the time and tell me it was time to leave five minutes before the end of his lecture because i had to be on time for choral rehearsals! It wasn't even for something to do with my course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachael-VS)
    I'm at Newcastle and we have a lot of late people coming in. The other day we had a lecture 9-10 and someone came in at 9:43, walked right across the front of the lecture and proceeded to make lots of noise.

In the first year we used to have occasional registers but that stopped after first year except for the odd lecturer who wanted to know who was there.

Rachael
    If I was going to be more than 10 minutes late I wouldn't bother and in between 5 and 10 minutes I'd be very reluctant to go!In fact,the other day I was 1 minute late and was like 'argh nooo I'm late!'

43 minutes late?Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    I was always under the impression noone careed if u ddint turn up, coz ure an adult now and if u wanna get a crap degree thats up to you lol.
    At the expense of others who do want to get a good degree though? It's people who have not bothered to turn up to lectures, etc. who run after the lecturers taking their time away from the dedicated students just before exam time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well in my case i got a lecture then one straight after so my tutors are understanding because i told them beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    If I knew I was going to be late for a lecture then I just wouldn't bother going. I'd get the lecture notes from online and read them and do the write up at home.

My housemate used to have 2 lectures timetabled one after the other and they were being held off campus and on campus. I told him just to explain to the lecturer of the second one and they probably wouldn't mind.

My lecturers haven't been too bad but then again whenever anyone has been late they've apologised when they got there.

In Criminology a register gets passed around but because there are a lot of us and its a big lecture theatre it's difficult to make sure everyone has signed it. In Psychology we were always told that if we miss two lectures of lab classes in a row then we'd get penalised. I think that's just there to scare people though as there is no register for lectures, so how would they know if we're there or not, and they've never picked up on when I didn't attend the lab classes.

I think it's a bit extreme locking doors though. I guess it depends on the situation as to whether it's fair or not to be punished. If it's laziness then I can understand the uni getting ticked off but if someone gets stuck in traffic or have a crappy timetable then it's not their fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    If I knew I was going to be late for a lecture then I just wouldn't bother going. I'd get the lecture notes from online and read them and do the write up at home.
    isnt it better to come late than to not show up at all? dont they take attendance at lectures?

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, most lecturers don't mind too much. However, there was one that went nuts at some guy that came in late, and made a fool out of him in front of about 200 people. There was also another lecturer who used to lock the door when he started the lecture.

ReputationRep:
    At Sussex they pass a register around all the lectures and classes.

They are reputed to be quite strict on those who don't turn up. But to be honest I suspect that if you didn't turn up to your lectures but could show you'd done the work you'd be unlikely to face any sanctions.

They only keep track to monitor people slipping behind with the work I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wazzz)
    isnt it better to come late than to not show up at all? dont they take attendance at lectures?
    In my post I said that not all lectures get a register passed around and even when they do people don't get picked up on it. It's different for each uni I guess.

All my lectures are available online so I would rather not go to the lecture and do the work at home than turn up late, miss information, have to try to catch up and interupt other people.

ReputationRep:
    University regs include a requirement to pass academically and attendance. Fail attendance and fail the unit, therefore fail the year. There was a girl last year who passed everything academically but failed the attendance requirements of the regs. She had to repeat the year.

ReputationRep:
    On my course we have a register in every lecture and tutorials, the latter of which you need to go to or you'll be penalised.

It was really annoying in my first week since I walked to my lectures with a girl from the same halls who's doing my course, but she's NEVER on time(she openly admitted getting up 10 mins before I meet her and faffing on, she thinks it's alright though), and I hate walking in when the lectures started. But she's been off for some reason so I've had no problems since.

The problem is with one module, there's more students than seats, so it makes sense to get there early/on time...

ReputationRep:
    Depends, but one of our lecturers tells you to get out and its quite embarrassing....but if you argue with him for long enough he'll let you come in anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Well, there is this one teacher, who has a rule, if you more than 10 minutes late you are not allowed in. I was very much aware of this rule,i remember a couple of weeks ago tried to sneak in 30 mins late, through the back door,lol, i know im stupid, whatevever. He saw the door close, he walked up to the top of the class, and i just walked out,lol.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.