Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting the degree hopefully next year or after a gap year so was wondering as many people keep telling me its very saturated ?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it's only going to get harder year on year. With more and more pharmacy schools opening, and branches of community pharmacies ending their preregistration programs, it's becoming more and more competitive. It is therefore really important to get as much experience off your own back as possible before you apply for preregistration positions. Apply for summer placements every year of your degree, and if you don't get on the 'official' programs, offer yourself in a voluntary capacity to pharmacies until you get a position. Many pharmacy students actually work as counter assistants or dispensers, but many of us don't and have had to really capitalise on gaining experience during the summer breaks. If you don't put the effort in to get the experience, then you will certainly struggle (and perhaps fail) to get a preregistration place. The degree and the placements facilitated by the universities just aren't enough nowadays. You need to make yourself a desirable candidate over the X amount of other people vying for the position... as is the way with most jobs out there.

If you want to be a pharmacist and have a passion for the profession then by all means... join us! Just realise there is a significant amount of effort required outside of the university environment to give yourself a decent chance of getting fully qualified the first time around. Give yourself the best possible chance to succeed, keep your eyes on that GPhC registration end point, and make yourself stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job in boots/lloyds/other pharmacy

by your 3-4th year you could ideally become a dispenser or technician/ but you will always have a leg up over the no experienced people

ReputationRep:
    I've got an unconditional to study Pharmacy at Nottingham next year. I'm currently doing my dispensing training at Boots (on my gap year) and have already been promised a pre reg place there for 4 years time!! I would recommend getting a part time job somewhere so you can build contacts

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in my opinion it's not actually as hard as it seems to get a pre- reg place.

There are hundreds of community pharmacy placements across the UK. They mainly all require you have at least 3-4 weeks work experience, have great customer service skills, are motivated and have good maths and English skills.

I work in the pharmacy recruitment sector and this year there are more places than students! I have so many people calling asking if I've been sent any CV's from students.

All you need to do is go on the GPHC website, look for training premesis in the area you want to work in, and it brings up a massive list. Then just go in and hand your CV in. Last week a pharmacy called to say they offered someone a pre- reg placement on the spot when they walked in!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaAnn93)
    Hi, in my opinion it's not actually as hard as it seems to get a pre- reg place.

There are hundreds of community pharmacy placements across the UK. They mainly all require you have at least 3-4 weeks work experience, have great customer service skills, are motivated and have good maths and English skills.

I work in the pharmacy recruitment sector and this year there are more places than students! I have so many people calling asking if I've been sent any CV's from students.

All you need to do is go on the GPHC website, look for training premesis in the area you want to work in, and it brings up a massive list. Then just go in and hand your CV in. Last week a pharmacy called to say they offered someone a pre- reg placement on the spot when they walked in!
    That might be true of majority of your clients are independents. Majority of the students on the whole want to work for big multiples like Boots, LLoyds and Tescos, so thats why independents have a shortage of applicants as their training schemes arent has guaranteed or well known like the multiples. So they are like a last resort for most applicants.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.