Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Laser Eye surgery! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm 21 and I've always disliked glasses since I've been prescribed them (short sighted). Now that I've got a bit of money to spend, I'm considering contact lenses but the idea of laser eye surgery is very appealing.

Can anyone share their experience, and more importantly what company they went with?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempzzz)
    Hi all,

I'm 21 and I've always disliked glasses since I've been prescribed them (short sighted). Now that I've got a bit of money to spend, I'm considering contact lenses but the idea of laser eye surgery is very appealing.

Can anyone share their experience, and more importantly what company they went with?

Thanks in advance!
    I had my eyes lasered about two months ago - best thing I ever did - worth every single penny. Didn't hurt at all and was over in about 5 minutes. I had LASEK as opposed to Lasik because I had uneven corneas so the results are slightly slower. I went to Moorfields - the private wing because I figured that I wanted the best if I was going to have one of my precious senses fiddled with. Any more info just message me

ReputationRep:
    What is your current specs prescription?

My advice to anyone is move to CLs not lazer..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    I had my eyes lasered about two months ago - best thing I ever did - worth every single penny. Didn't hurt at all and was over in about 5 minutes. I had LASEK as opposed to Lasik because I had uneven corneas so the results are slightly slower. I went to Moorfields - the private wing because I figured that I wanted the best if I was going to have one of my precious senses fiddled with. Any more info just message me
    Moorfields is like ultra expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    What is your current specs prescription?

My advice to anyone is move to CLs not lazer..
    -1.25 right
    -2.75 left

ReputationRep:
    I had my eyes lazered about 7 yrs ago, best decision ever! Though I am currently back to wearing glasses again I do not regret it! My prescription was -4.75 in both eyes. I had Lasik, as the recovery is a lot quicker. It was over very quickly, 5 mins tops. I had mine done with optical express and cannot fault their before and after care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torigirl)
    I had my eyes lazered about 7 yrs ago, best decision ever! Though I am currently back to wearing glasses again I do not regret it! My prescription was -4.75 in both eyes. I had Lasik, as the recovery is a lot quicker. It was over very quickly, 5 mins tops. I had mine done with optical express and cannot fault their before and after care.
    Sweet! I really am considering it, but everyones telling me to wait a year or two to let my sight stabilise. Optical Express seem the industry standard nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempzzz)
    Sweet! I really am considering it, but everyones telling me to wait a year or two to let my sight stabilise. Optical Express seem the industry standard nowadays.
    Definately let them stabilise. That's the reason I now have to wear glasses. I needed to get them done to join the police and I had a 6 month period were my sight hadn't changed, so the optician agreed. Had it not been for the police I would of waited.
    Like I said before I was very happy with Optical Expresses care. I paid £3000 for mine to be done and that was for having the laser create the flap and having the whole eye lasers not just part of the eye (think it's more to do with pheriferial (spelling?)vision) not sure how much it is now.

ReputationRep:
    Daily disposable CLs are the perfect alternative. I have worn them for years though of course not the same pair !. I am not awate of their presence and my vision is crisp ,sharp and bright. Have your eyes lasered and there is no going back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.