Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a 10th grader I'm doing 7 subjects for my GCSE this june (they're English, Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, ICT). I'm takin another 2 next year.
    Tbh, I really do not feel like I'm doing good, at all. I don't cocentrate on those subjects like I should.
    Anyway, I'm aiming for A*'s in all of them.
    I know it's easy to say. I've already made clear how careless I am at the beginning.
    PS I have a twin, she's taking the same subjects. My parents pay £680 per week for private lessons for both of us. We also go to private school in the morning.
    I really really want to do well and get a medicine scholarship anywhere in UK or The USA.
    I am very confused. I also have no idea what to do with my A-levels.
    I could take 2 AS only and get into Cairo University. But my english teacher said that it's not a good idea. She wants us to study abroad, which means that I could replace the easiness of 2AS with 4A-levels. I am not even sure if that's possible. I'm really confused
    My Questions are:
    1-What and how much A-levels should I take for a medicine scholarship?(I want it to be at a very good university)
    2-Is it too early to worry about it?
    (My Senior friend took 4 A-levels and 1 AS and got A* in all of them, all. of. them. and got a C in the one AS he took. Honestly, I lost touch with him, and I kind of look up to him. If I did as good as he has, what are the chances that he could get into a good university? What are the chances of him getting a full scholarship?
    Not like I'm looking for a place in a university like Cambridge or Yale or Oxforfd but what are the requirements to get into universities like those.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadaelnaggar)
    Hi,
    ...My parents pay £680 per week for private lessons for both of us. We also go to private school in the morning
    good grief!
    with this support I would expect to do the A levels early and get A*

ReputationRep:
    Uk universities:

For medicine, normally you must do Chemistry and one of Physics, Biology and Maths to be acceped into the majority of universities.

Have a look at different university websites and check their requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a 10th grader I'm doing 7 subjects for my GCSE this june (they're English, Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, ICT). I'm takin another 2 next year.
    Tbh, I really do not feel like I'm doing good, at all. I don't cocentrate on those subjects like I should.
    I know it's easy to say. I've already made clear how careless I am at the beginning.
    PS I have a twin, she's taking the same subjects. My parents pay £680 per week for private lessons for both of us. We also go to private school in the morning.
    I really really want to do well and get a medicine scholarship anywhere in UK or The USA.
    I could take 2 AS only and get into Cairo University. But my english teacher said that it's not a good idea. She wants us to study abroad, which means that I could replace the easiness of 2AS with 4A-levels. I am not even sure if that's possible. I'm really confused
    My Questions are:
    1-What and how much A-levels should I take for a medicine scholarship?(I want it to be at a very good university)
    (My Senior friend took 4 A-levels and 1 AS and got A* in all of them, all. of. them. and got a C in the one AS he took. Honestly, I lost touch with him, and I kind of look up to him. If I did as good as he has, what are the chances that he could get into a good university? What are the chances of him getting a full scholarship?
    Not like I'm looking for a place in a university like Cambridge or Yale or Oxforfd but what are the requirements to get into universities like those.)
    I have a friend who's an International (Iranian) applying for medicine with GCSEs and A Levels and she found it difficult finding places scholarship wise. Very few people get scholarships anyway and for medicine it's just that bit worse. You'll have to look at how places will see you with your grades - 7 in one year is lower than most do for med (I did 11) and also if they'll view you as a International when it comes to applying.
    You aren't thinking about it too early, this is a good time to decide! Take 4 A levels. It's tough, but it will put you on par with other applicants. Chemistry is the one you HAVE to take, and 7 unis also want you to take Biology (you don't have to do it, but it will help), then pick two other subjects. "Facilitating subjects" would help you here - you can find them on the Russell Group website. And medicine isn't all about grades - work experience, personal attributes etc are important too. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    I have a friend who's an International (Iranian) applying for medicine with GCSEs and A Levels and she found it difficult finding places scholarship wise. Very few people get scholarships anyway and for medicine it's just that bit worse. You'll have to look at how places will see you with your grades - 7 in one year is lower than most do for med (I did 11) and also if they'll view you as a International when it comes to applying.
    You aren't thinking about it too early, this is a good time to decide! Take 4 A levels. It's tough, but it will put you on par with other applicants. Chemistry is the one you HAVE to take, and 7 unis also want you to take Biology (you don't have to do it, but it will help), then pick two other subjects. "Facilitating subjects" would help you here - you can find them on the Russell Group website. And medicine isn't all about grades - work experience, personal attributes etc are important too. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! I guess it's impossible. I'll just have to wait for my grades and then I could decide then. God help me. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Di Doo)
    Uk universities:

For medicine, normally you must do Chemistry and one of Physics, Biology and Maths to be acceped into the majority of universities.

Have a look at different university websites and check their requirements.
    Thanks for replying. But since I've already taken 7 subjects this year. I am squeezed and I can't add any more to them. What do you think is a good combination of subjects that I could take for the next years?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. But since I've already taken 7 subjects this year. I am squeezed and I can't add any more to them. What do you think is a good combination of subjects that I could take for the next years?
    A common one is all three sciences and maths. It's a helluva lot of work but it'd be the 'best' combination for medicine. You're also expected to have work experience in something related to medicine or care (like a retirement home etc.). Most unis use the BMAT/UKCAT tests for medicine so you'd have to take those. You'd also have to interview well. Don't be too disheartened with rejections, it happens to the best for medicine as it's SO SO competitive. Also you can only put 4 medicine courses on UCAS in one year. This is all info for UK unis. As for Cambridge/Oxford it doesn't really differ, but they expect amazing GCSEs and A level marks even compared to the average medicine applicant (very high grades indeed).

ReputationRep:
    The GCSEs you listed are fine.

I was talking about A Levels in my last answer. You need Chemistry A Level (or at least AS) for a lot of the med school in the UK. You will also need one of Biology, Physics or Maths A Level/AS (check uni requirements on their website.)

Take 4 AS subjects then carry 3 of them to A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My Questions are:
    You should definitely have a minimum of 8 GCSEs completed before you apply - some unis use scoring systems based on 8 and having less will mean you score very lowly even with A*s.

For A-level you should take Biology Chemistry and two others - the details are here. 18 of 33 require biology up to AS at least (not 7 as someone mentioned above). The other two subjects (and it does need to be 2 for AS - you can then drop one for full a-level if you wish) can be anything academic. Only Cambridge asks for 3 sciences. UCL ask for a 'contrasting (i.e. not science) subject.

As others have pointed out (and unlike any other country) in the UK just as important as the grades is the fluffy stuff - having work experience, showing you can communicate and empathise with patients, generally coming across as a nice person at interview. This is not the same as playing musical instruments or sport, which is expected in the US but not here.

Re scholarship - I would not be hopeful of getting one from a UK university. Medicine is so competitive and expensive that very few unis (if any - i'm not aware of one...) provide full scholarships to internationals. Even home students are expected to pay way beyond the loans they get to study medicine in the UK at many unis, which is really sad.

Oxford and Cambridge are especially competitive for internationals. The year before last Oxford received >300 international applicants - 1 got in.

Re the US - you do know medicine is a graduate degree there right? You cannot apply there until you have done another degree. If you do want to go down that road, I'd get my first degree from the US too. The US is way more into scholarships than the UK (because their normal fees are so unaffordable...) so you'd likely stand a better chance there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The US is way more into scholarships than the UK (because their normal fees are so unaffordable...) so you'd likely stand a better chance there.
    Not entirely true. Yes, there are more scholarships, but the costs of both tuition and accommodation are so much higher that you would end up paying more than at a UK uni anyway. Additionally, US unis are even harder for international students to get into than UK ones, especially for medicine, they unashamedly prefer to give places to home students.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    You have to do biology and chemistry, plus at least one other subject to full A-level, some unis also require a 4th at AS. Cambridge requires your 3rd to be physics or maths.

In the UK scholarships at university don't really exist. There are a couple of unis (usually the older, richer ones like oxford, cambridge and St andrews) where you can apply for a scholarship before you enter, but these are not designed to cover all your tuition (the scholarships at st andrews are £1000 a year). Some unis have bursaries available for students from deprived backgrounds, but it sounds like this wouldn't apply to you.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I did not state OP is that the majority of scholarships that I have come across for internationals are actually from the country of origin - a government sponsored program of some sort most usually. Don't know if that is worth looking into.

(Original post by theresheglows)
    Not entirely true. Yes, there are more scholarships, but the costs of both tuition and accommodation are so much higher that you would end up paying more than at a UK uni anyway.
    International {non-EU) fees for medicine specifically in the UK are pretty comparable to the US. I stand by my statement.

Additionally, US unis are even harder for international students to get into than UK ones, especially for medicine, they unashamedly prefer to give places to home students.
    That's pretty much the same here though - actual formal quotas are in place and I again reference the figures for Oxford international applicants. Medicine courses in general are surprisingly nationalistic.

ReputationRep:
    International {non-EU) fees for medicine specifically in the UK are pretty comparable to the US. I stand by my statement.
    UK international fees for medicine (if OP is outside the EU) are in the range of 20,000 to 30,000 a year, e.g. UCL charges £29,900 a year. However, US schools have no cap on what they can charge, and many charge considerably more than this, especially if they are Ivy League. For example, the current cost of studying at Yale per year is around $63,250, which is in the region of £40,650. That's not even mentioning the fact that OP would have to do an undergraduate degree (preferably in the US) first before doing medicine in the US, where it is a graduate degree only, thus further racking up the cost.

That's pretty much the same here though - actual formal quotas are in place and I again reference the figures for Oxford international applicants. Medicine courses in general are surprisingly nationalistic.
    I agree with this, but it's worse in the US.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely have a minimum of 8 GCSEs completed before you apply - some unis use scoring systems based on 8 and having less will mean you score very lowly even with A*s.

For A-level you should take Biology Chemistry and two others - the details are here. 18 of 33 require biology up to AS at least (not 7 as someone mentioned above). The other two subjects (and it does need to be 2 for AS - you can then drop one for full a-level if you wish) can be anything academic. Only Cambridge asks for 3 sciences. UCL ask for a 'contrasting (i.e. not science) subject.

As others have pointed out (and unlike any other country) in the UK just as important as the grades is the fluffy stuff - having work experience, showing you can communicate and empathise with patients, generally coming across as a nice person at interview. This is not the same as playing musical instruments or sport, which is expected in the US but not here.

Re scholarship - I would not be hopeful of getting one from a UK university. Medicine is so competitive and expensive that very few unis (if any - i'm not aware of one...) provide full scholarships to internationals. Even home students are expected to pay way beyond the loans they get to study medicine in the UK at many unis, which is really sad.

Oxford and Cambridge are especially competitive for internationals. The year before last Oxford received >300 international applicants - 1 got in.

Re the US - you do know medicine is a graduate degree there right? You cannot apply there until you have done another degree. If you do want to go down that road, I'd get my first degree from the US too. The US is way more into scholarships than the UK (because their normal fees are so unaffordable...) so you'd likely stand a better chance there.
    Thank you so much. This really helped. I was actually starting to overlook UK from my plan, and now it seems like US is impossible too.
    Could you tell me more about the degree I need to take for medicine in the US. Thank you

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.