The Student Room Group

A-Levels: Should I change exam boards this summer (from Edexcel UK to CIE)?

So,

Exam entries are approaching and I willhave to decide what exams to enter for. I have set A-Levels under Edexcel lastsummer and I got bad grades across all modules in English and Business.

I have googled and came across the examboard CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) which offers 2 exam sessions (November and June) for A-Level exams. Edexcel, however,after educational reforms now only offers 1 exam session (June).

So, pros and cons for the 2 boards.

Edexcel pros:
-I read a lot of comments on the Internetthat Edexcel A-levels are easier than CIE (however, I would be glad to hearmore opinions on this here)

-I have already some results in the bag.Though, all the modules aren't that good. However, at least I have something.

Edexcel cons:
-Only 1 exam session. Thus, if I mess upthis summer I have to wait an entire year. Though, there is some probabilitythat I may do ok this year.

CIE pros:
-Offers 2 exam session. So, if I mess up inthe summer, I could resit in November.

CIE cons:
-Apperently, CIE exams are harder thanEdexcel's.

I would be glad to get some advice here.
Reply 1
Original post by alienguy

Exam entries are approaching and I willhave to decide what exams to enter for. I have set A-Levels under Edexcel lastsummer and I got bad grades across all modules in English and Business.

I have googled and came across the examboard CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) which offers 2 exam sessions (November and June) for A-Level exams. Edexcel, however,after educational reforms now only offers 1 exam session (June).

Where are you intending to sit these exams? Edexcel still offers a January exam season for international candidates (though it would cost an arm and a leg to enter for Jan 15 now, even if you could find a centre willing to take you.) If you are in the UK then it is considerably harder to find ane exam centre to accept you for CIE, particularly for the November season (which is really aimed at international centres). I'd stick with Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest