Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Are UK universities boring compared to US uni's Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't I just have a feeling that schooling in the UK wont be a blast in terms of fun things compared to US

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekemini)
    I don't I just have a feeling that schooling in the UK wont be a blast in terms of fun things compared to US
    No, if you want an interesting university experience then go to Canada

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah dude)
    No, if you want an interesting university experience then go to Canada

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you kidding me?!! Oh no

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding me?!! Oh no
    It hurt pretty bad to say that, ah well at least I'm not advertising russia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah dude)
    It hurt pretty bad to say that, ah well at least I'm not advertising russia
    But it truly cannot be that bad. Can it. There should be some fun universities in the UK

ReputationRep:
    But it truly cannot be that bad. Can it. There should be some fun universities in the UK
    I don't know dude, I'm not there yet myself so I don't know what they're like in the us lol, I guess if you make it fun it'll be fun, so yeah sure there should be some fun ones with the right people and friends

ReputationRep:
    How do you possibly propose to accurately and definitively measure something as individual as 'fun'?

Fun is what you as an individual makes it. The opportunities to meet people and do things are broadly the same everywhere, the only difference is you and your attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if you find drinking fun then it'll be the opposite, and it also depends on the university as some will obviously be more boring than others.

ReputationRep:
    Been watching too much American Pie?

ReputationRep:
    I, on the contrary, think that US universities are much more boring than British.

ReputationRep:
    Think its better in the US more house partys ect. Its just more social, they also have all these wierd games lol.

ReputationRep:
    frat parties man, what's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    more social yeah, but it's not as if it's bad in the UK anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    never watched it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    More like too much Van Wilder

ReputationRep:
    UK unis are cheaper. From what I've been internetting, Americans pay out the @5$ for their education more than Western Europe. Some overseas students were in my department I assume for similar reasons.

American uni is like a party, but if you go for the party lifesyle you may as well skip uni for a job and local venues. I had to stay in for my degree, not much partying or sports clubbing for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Think its better in the US more house partys ect. Its just more social, they also have all these wierd games lol.
    That's a direct function of the drinking age being 21.

They have house parties because they can't go out (without fake IDs). The student union in the States is often like a Shopping Centre's fast food hall.

The American students I know on exchange love it here. I know an English guy who went to the States at enormous expense and absolutely hates it, and he's trying to summon up the courage to tell his parents that he wants to come home.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really measure fun because the experience becomes what you make of it. If you enjoy going out and not remembering the night before and that's fun to you then no, UK uni's aren't boring compared to U.S ones. Same as if you enjoy sitting in the library all day and not talking to anyone ever(maybe a bit too anti social, but just an extreme example) and that's fun to you, then no, UK uni's aren't boring compared to U.S ones.

I think one thing that might make a difference though is the sorts of people you'll meet. Americans are just.. Different to us. They're more "out there" (making generalisations here and this definitely isn't a bad thing). So I think maybe that might make it seem as though uni life is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure as I've never been to a university outside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    American unis are more fun trust me! I'm in a UK one now and some Americans are in my class with their fake ass annoying accents. Stay there.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.