Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Are UK universities boring compared to US uni's Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    You can't really measure fun because the experience becomes what you make of it. If you enjoy going out and not remembering the night before and that's fun to you then no, UK uni's aren't boring compared to U.S ones. Same as if you enjoy sitting in the library all day and not talking to anyone ever(maybe a bit too anti social, but just an extreme example) and that's fun to you, then no, UK uni's aren't boring compared to U.S ones.

I think one thing that might make a difference though is the sorts of people you'll meet. Americans are just.. Different to us. They're more "out there" (making generalisations here and this definitely isn't a bad thing). So I think maybe that might make it seem as though uni life is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    How do you possibly propose to accurately and definitively measure something as individual as 'fun'?

Fun is what you as an individual makes it. The opportunities to meet people and do things are broadly the same everywhere, the only difference is you and your attitude.
    I suppose, but they could be thinking in terms of concepts that aren't even there in the UK.
    Such as sororities and fraternities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Think its better in the US more house partys ect. Its just more social, they also have all these wierd games lol.
    Please, stop it with the <name of country> is better than us propaganda!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farwazahra1)
    I suppose, but they could be thinking in terms of concepts that aren't even there in the UK.
    Such as sororities and fraternities
    Which are one tiny part that not everyone gets involved in and not every US college even has. Their importance is blown all out of proportion by film and tv.

For British unis, just translate "frat" for '<insert sport or hobby> club/soc' and I guarantee you the same level of activity, no matter what side of the Atlantic you're on.

The x factor in all of it is the person, not the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Which are one tiny part that not everyone gets involved in and not every US college even has. Their importance is blown all out of proportion by film and tv.

For British unis, just translate "frat" for '<insert sport or hobby> club/soc' and I guarantee you the same level of activity, no matter what side of the Atlantic you're on.

The x factor in all of it is the person, not the uni.
    I wish I could give you the +1 reputation you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Think its better in the US more house partys ect. Its just more social, they also have all these wierd games lol.
    from this can we assume you are a child who has not actually attended a UK university ... or if you did you stayed at home with mummy and daddy ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    from this can we assume you are a child who has not actually attended a UK university ... or if you did you stayed at home with mummy and daddy ?
    LOL I wish it was.

ReputationRep:
    Got to say the engineering students in Canada seem to have more esprit de corps than their English counterparts

http://globalnews.ca/news/1134961/vw...s-clock-tower/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Got to say the engineering students in Canada seem to have more esprit de corps than their English counterparts

http://globalnews.ca/news/1134961/vw...s-clock-tower/
    Jesus wept, that's why we have so much rain here. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that British universities are dull! In my humble opinion, British universities are just more sophisticated in that the majority of the institutions are still very traditional (I doubt our country will ever accept the idea of having fraternities and sororities ). Our somewhat ridiculously strict education unfortunately tends to reinforce non-EU students' misconceptions about the university experience in the UK - and nothing can be done about this unfortunately. I really don't know why people automatically associate 'fun' with 'big house parties'. I reckon that US universities have more clubs and societies, bigger campuses and world-acclaimed professors, but they don't party as WE do ... in the British way. Lastly, I'd just like to reiterate what has already been said: University is what you make of it, peeps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekemini)
    I don't I just have a feeling that schooling in the UK wont be a blast in terms of fun things compared to US
    Every movie I've seen (yeah no real experience of US uni) makes it look different not better or worse just diffrent that said if you can get in and afford it I'd say go for it if nothing else it'd be good experience.

ReputationRep:
    But it truly cannot be that bad. Can it. There should be some fun universities in the UK
    There are Solent is particularly fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    There are Solent is particularly fun.
    Solent isn't a high ranking university.

ReputationRep:
    Solent isn't a high ranking university.
    That doesn't mean it's a bad one but the point is it is fun, which is what you asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10,000 hours)
    I wouldn't say that British universities are dull! In my humble opinion, British universities are just more sophisticated in that the majority of the institutions are still very traditional (I doubt our country will ever accept the idea of having fraternities and sororities ). Our somewhat ridiculously strict education unfortunately tends to reinforce non-EU students' misconceptions about the university experience in the UK - and nothing can be done about this unfortunately. I really don't know why people automatically associate 'fun' with 'big house parties'. I reckon that US universities have more clubs and societies, bigger campuses and world-acclaimed professors, but they don't party as WE do ... in the British way. Lastly, I'd just like to reiterate what has already been said: University is what you make of it, peeps!
    That rep you received for the above post was from me.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.