Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Insurance in Birmingham and ingenie Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I think its about time I got a car, I've just about had it with public transport lol. I'm 21 and as much i love Birmingham, for car insurance its terrible. For a first car I want a Seat Ibiza or Golf 1.4

Looking at a few quotes im getting around the £1500 mark with Ingenie for me as main driver and my older sister as second. Is anybody insured with them? If so, how are they and are they strict etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempzzz)
    Hi all,

I think its about time I got a car, I've just about had it with public transport lol. I'm 21 and as much i love Birmingham, for car insurance its terrible. For a first car I want a Seat Ibiza or Golf 1.4

Looking at a few quotes im getting around the £1500 mark with Ingenie for me as main driver and my older sister as second. Is anybody insured with them? If so, how are they and are they strict etc?
    Wouldn't the alternative to the Golf be the Seat Leon, Ibiza is based on the Polo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Wouldn't the alternative to the Golf be the Seat Leon, Ibiza is based on the Polo
    Don't really like the Leon tbh

ReputationRep:
    Alhhough £1500 is a lot, for me I'd say that was half reasonable haha.

I live in a bad post code area (generally a bad area actually) and my initial quotes were £8000! I feel your pain aha

If you okay with having a black box try tiger.com (might be .co.uk) but it's a comparison website but they have quite a lot of insurers who do black box policy's and you might find some cheaper quotes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    Alhhough £1500 is a lot, for me I'd say that was half reasonable haha.

I live in a bad post code area (generally a bad area actually) and my initial quotes were £8000! I feel your pain aha

If you okay with having a black box try tiger.com (might be .co.uk) but it's a comparison website but they have quite a lot of insurers who do black box policy's and you might find some cheaper quotes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice, are you insured with a black box company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempzzz)
    Thanks for the advice, are you insured with a black box company?

Not any more, but I was in my first year of driving. It was the only way to get onto the road, the prices were ridiculous.

Mine was with a company called Carrot, what was good was that they never increased your premium like some box companies do. They monitored your driving and you earned cash rewards depending on how good your score was, if you had a negative score then you simply wouldn't get any money back for that quarter.

Sometimes it was annoying feeling like someone was watching you, and also it's annoying that they just see the score, they don't understand for what reasons you have that score - so if you had to brake harshly to avoid an accident obviously just give you a bad score. But that shouldn't obviously happen a lot. If you can save quite a bit of money by having a box, rather than going with any other company it's not so bad.

Edit:

Are you a student? If so (and if you haven't already) I'd recommend you try Endsleigh for a quote too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    Not any more, but I was in my first year of driving. It was the only way to get onto the road, the prices were ridiculous.

Mine was with a company called Carrot, what was good was that they never increased your premium like some box companies do. They monitored your driving and you earned cash rewards depending on how good your score was, if you had a negative score then you simply wouldn't get any money back for that quarter.

Sometimes it was annoying feeling like someone was watching you, and also it's annoying that they just see the score, they don't understand for what reasons you have that score - so if you had to brake harshly to avoid an accident obviously just give you a bad score. But that shouldn't obviously happen a lot. If you can save quite a bit of money by having a box, rather than going with any other company it's not so bad.

Edit:

Are you a student? If so (and if you haven't already) I'd recommend you try Endsleigh for a quote too.
    Ah i see, never heard of Carrot. I'm gonna have to go with a black box insurer its the only way for me to get a reasonable price.

Yep I'm a student and I've tried Endsleigh, they don't even give me a quote online lmao

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.