Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

TSR Game of the Year Awards: The Final! (win a free game) Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think deserves the title of Game of the Year?
    Alien: Isolation
    7.14%
    Dark Souls II
    2.86%
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    5.71%
    Destiny
    2.86%
    Far Cry 4
    8.57%
    Goat Simulator
    21.43%
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    8.57%
    Infamous: Second Son
    0%
    Mario Kart 8
    0%
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    5.71%
    South Park: the Stick of Truth
    1.43%
    Super Smash Bros
    10.00%
    The Sims 4
    10.00%
    Titanfall
    5.71%
    Watch Dogs
    8.57%
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    1.43%

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    it's the last stretch, and after five qualifying rounds we have our 16 finalists. There can only be one winner, so get voting to make sure your favourite game from 2014 has the best chance it can to take the crown!

It's also your last chance to win yourself a late Christmas present, as the good folks at TSR HQ have decided they're going to give away a game to one lucky user, who will get a choice of any game they like from the 16 finalists present in this thread :teeth: all posts made in any Game of the Year (with a few basic restrictions, no dupe accounts, spamming etc) thread will count towards entry, and the winner will be chosen at random then contacted to pick their game (age ratings permitting).

The vote will be open until next Friday, when the winner will be crowned. For one last time, here's a brief overview of the finalists courtesy of Metacritic and Giant Bomb.

The Finalists!

Alien: Isolation (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Alien: Isolation is a first-person survival horror game which captures the fear and tension evoked by Ridley Scott’s 1979 classic film. Players find themselves in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger as an unpredictable, ruthless Xenomorph is stalking and killing deep in the shadows.
    Dark Souls II (Playstation 3, PC, Xbox 360)

A third-person role-playing game developed by Japanese developer FromSoftware taking place in a new land, 'Dragleic. Dark Souls II brings the franchise’s renowned difficulty & gripping gameplay innovations to both single and multiplayer experiences.
    Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare. Select and lead a group of characters into harrowing battles against a myriad of enemies – from earth-shattering High Dragons to demonic forces from the otherworld of the Fade.
    Destiny (Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

When a period of technological advancement leads to the near-extinction of humanity (confining them to one lone city), it's up to mysterious warriors (known as Guardians) to investigate and push back various alien threats in this sci-fi first-person shooter by Bungie.
    Far Cry 4 (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the mind of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.
    Goat Simulator (Android, iOS Linux, Mac, PC)

In this parody of inaccurate and terribly made "Simulator" games, an indestructible goat wreaks havoc on a vaguely European sandbox world plagued by buggy physics and non-sequiturs.
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Android, iOS, PC, Mac)

Hearthstone is a free-to-play digital strategy card game that anyone can enjoy. Players choose one of nine epic Warcraft heroes to play as, and then take turns playing cards from their customizable decks to cast potent spells, use heroic weapons or abilities, or summon powerful characters to crush their opponent.
    InFamous: Second Son (Playstation 4)

inFAMOUS Second Son is an action adventure game in which, surrounded by a society that fears them, superhumans are ruthlessly hunted down and caged by the Department of Unified Protection. Enjoy your power as you choose how you will push your awesome abilities to the limit and witness the consequences of your actions as they affect the city and people around you.
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Mario Kart returns and makes its HD-debut with gravity-defying hover vehicles, a new spin on the traditional track designs, ATVs, the return of classic Last Man Standing-Battle Mode, custom online tournaments and Mario Kart TV, which allows for sharing of highlight videos online.
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Fight your way through Mordor and reveal the truth of the spirit that compels you, discover the origins of the Rings of Power, build your legend and ultimately confront the evil of Sauron in this new story of Middle-earth.
    South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.
    Super Smash Bros (3DS and Wii U)

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U is the first cross-platform iteration of the franchise, and features connectivity functionalities between the two versions of the game. Return to a world of exciting battles with Super Smash Bros. as you fight your way through a host of fan-favorite opponents. Make your way through memorable stages inspired by the most notorious classic Nintendo games.
    The Sims 4 (PC)

The next installment in The Sims franchise, scheduled for release in 2014 on PC and Mac. You can now control how your Sims engage other Sims, objects and individual moments in the game. You control the brain, corpus, and now the heart of your Sims. The Sims you generate are full of life and are defined by, among other things, their unique personalities and their varying emotions.
    Titanfall (PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Titanfall, with its advanced combat techniques, gives you the freedom to fight your way as both elite assault Pilot and fast, heavily armored Titan. The experience combines fast-paced multiplayer action with the dramatically charged moments of a cinematic universe.
    Watch Dogs (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in a dark alternate version of the US where corporations track and catalog all online behavior over a vast data network. A vigilante group called the Watch_Dogs hacks into this data, using it to hunt criminals.
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

The latest entry in the venerable shooter franchise takes place in a version of the 1960s in which the Nazis have established a global empire after winning World War II. Protagonist B.J. Blazkowicz fights for an underground resistance movement, outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces.

ReputationRep:
    Goat simulator Ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Alien Isolation
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Goat simulator Ftw.
    Is that a real game :lol:?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    There's a good number of strong entrants here, but Far Cry 4 pips it for me, with such a huge amount to do in its world and almost all of that being enjoyable and well-designed.

ReputationRep:
    Going with Hearthstone - first time I've seen a card game blow up so big and be so accessible to so many people (even casuals like me :puppyeyes:)
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infan2a)
    Going with Hearthstone - first time I've seen a card game blow up so big and be so accessible to so many people (even casuals like me :puppyeyes:)
    Indeed, it's had an incredibly successful first year. I'm rather disappointed not to have been able to get into it much, as I can't get the game to run reliably (it's fine for a while, but crashes seemingly at random).
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I haven't decided what I'll vote for yet, but I think I'll end up giving it to Hearthstone. No other game has absorbed so much of my time since Halo 3- I don't remember a time where it hasn't been open in a window on my computer and I think it's possibly the most active app on my iPad since I got it. It has strategy and depth, can be enjoyed whether you're playing silly decks looking for a laugh or playing seriously to climb the ranks, and has limitless replayability.

But then again I loved Titanfall and felt like a breath of fresh air to a stagnating genre, even going as far as getting the COD series to start innovating again. And then there's Far Cry 4, the sequel to my favourite single player game of all time, which I've only just started playing but the more I do the more I love it. It could well taken over as my favourite game of the year by next week!

ReputationRep:
    Really, really difficult decision for me. Dark Souls 2 has engulfed so much of my time for so much of this year, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are utterly gorgeous and glorious to play, and Alien Isolation is exactly what a huge fan of Alien like myself would want.

I think on balance it has to be Dark Souls 2, simply because it's the game that's left the biggest mark on me this year. It's certainly been a very very good year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Went a bit out of left field and voted Wolfenstein: The New Order. A genuinely refreshing game in a stagnating genre (none of the stupid 'futuristic' nonsense of Titanfall). Alien: Isolation was probably the best experience out of all of these, and Goat Simulator is just a Pewdiepie joke that went too far.

In context, though, 2014 was not a particularly strong year. None of the games will be industry changers, or milestones in gaming. Still though, devastated my wallet.

ReputationRep:
    I have given my vote to hearthstone, the atmosphere and pace of the game makes it so much more than a card game. The character built into the game reminds me of why I love the warcraft universe so much. It has gotten to the point where an opponent plays a card and I'm already calling out the voice clip to my friend. Solid game with an interesting model of expansion, Naxx was great and the new cards switch up the meta a bit.

ReputationRep:
    My vote goes to Super Smash Bros. because it is an excellent fighter game. Most of the time, it's really balanced, the characters are really diverse (how many other games can boast a fat penguin king, a turtle-like creature in a fighting vehicle and a ninja frog with access to watery moves?), the stages are really fun to play and the online community is thriving.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I feel obliged to vote for Goat Simulator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Super smash bros, just because it's given me a great time in 6th form with a bunch of friends

ReputationRep:
    How is Watch Dogs on there? Probably a contender for 'Biggest Flop of 2014'

Shadow of Mordor for me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Goat simulator? :laugh: I love the game, it's a great laugh, but it's not really a good game - buggy as hell (although the producers I believe intend to keep it that way for the fun of it).
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clai)
    How is Watch Dogs on there? Probably a contender for 'Biggest Flop of 2014'

Shadow of Mordor for me
    I wouldn't say that Watch_Dogs is a bad game, just that it didn't live up to the huge weight of expectation that had built up behind it. I still enjoyed it a fair amount myself, though (as above) it wouldn't get my vote from these picks.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Goat simulator? :laugh: I love the game, it's a great laugh, but it's not really a good game - buggy as hell (although the producers I believe intend to keep it that way for the fun of it).
    Now then, here we do have a bad game. :sadnod: It makes for popular Youtube videos, yes, but that doesn't make it good. I could very easily name several games more deserving of a place in this line up... but as the result of a vote based on TSR's main demographic, its inclusion isn't *too* surprising.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I feel obliged to vote for Goat Simulator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should also feel obliged to leave the internet and never return then.

ReputationRep:
    Far Cry 4.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I wouldn't say that Watch_Dogs is a bad game, just that it didn't live up to the huge weight of expectation that had built up behind it. I still enjoyed it a fair amount myself, though (as above) it wouldn't get my vote from these picks.

Now then, here we do have a bad game. :sadnod: It makes for popular Youtube videos, yes, but that doesn't make it good. I could very easily name several games more deserving of a place in this line up... but as the result of a vote based on TSR's main demographic, its inclusion isn't *too* surprising.
    I think that's a bit harsh - it depends what you look for when defining a good game - if it's primarily entertainment value, then Goat Simulator is well worth it's place. If you judge it based on plot, playability (i.e. bugs): if you judge it based on what it is rather than how much fun you can have, then yes, it's awful.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.