Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

TSR Game of the Year Awards: The Final! (win a free game) Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think deserves the title of Game of the Year?
    Alien: Isolation
    7.14%
    Dark Souls II
    2.86%
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    5.71%
    Destiny
    2.86%
    Far Cry 4
    8.57%
    Goat Simulator
    21.43%
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    8.57%
    Infamous: Second Son
    0%
    Mario Kart 8
    0%
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    5.71%
    South Park: the Stick of Truth
    1.43%
    Super Smash Bros
    10.00%
    The Sims 4
    10.00%
    Titanfall
    5.71%
    Watch Dogs
    8.57%
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    1.43%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clai)
    How is Watch Dogs on there? Probably a contender for 'Biggest Flop of 2014'

Shadow of Mordor for me
    As said already,it isn't a bad game, - it's just one that didn't live up to the enormous hype around it. People expected amazing graphics and they were intentionally nerfed; people expected better hacking than mostly click this when told to, but this doesn't make the game bad; if we defined any game that didn't live up to expectations as bad we would have a lot more excellent titles being "bad". And then if we make the massive leap to the converse, we would see a lot of **** games declared amazing.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Goat simulator? :laugh: I love the game, it's a great laugh, but it's not really a good game - buggy as hell (although the producers I believe intend to keep it that way for the fun of it).
    ''There are no bugs, only features" Also as said, if you value how good or otherwise a game is by how much fun you have, how long you can have this fun for ,and how much you pay for that fun it's actually pretty compelling, and a hell of a lot better than most Sims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    from a sheer fun: time: cost perspective it's quite safely goat simulator. for the "complete" package full AAA game perspective,based on the little I've played thus far, shadow of Mordor . Most of the others were [relatively] bad, lacking some way or just didn't have the staging power to convince me to pick up where I left off the previous night, but without actually being bad games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is only one choice i can pick here but i'm really feeling it.
    (If you haven't heard of the meme, its SSB4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I wouldn't say that Watch_Dogs is a bad game, just that it didn't live up to the huge weight of expectation that had built up behind it. I still enjoyed it a fair amount myself, though (as above) it wouldn't get my vote from these picks.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    As said already,it isn't a bad game, - it's just one that didn't live up to the enormous hype around it. People expected amazing graphics and they were intentionally nerfed; people expected better hacking than mostly click this when told to, but this doesn't make the game bad; if we defined any game that didn't live up to expectations as bad we would have a lot more excellent titles being "bad". And then if we make the massive leap to the converse, we would see a lot of **** games declared amazing.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was pretty bad. It didn't do anything wrong per se - the graphics were scaled down but not awful, and the gameplay was okay. But the main protaganist had no personality whatsoever, the driving was terrible, and the hacking was so boring, etc. Simply, it just wasn't fun for me - playing it was such a chore that I eventually just gave up on it.

In my opinion it didn't just fail to meet expectations, it also a bad game. Fortunately I had just bought Tomb Raider at the time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clai)
    I thought it was pretty bad. I didn't do anything wrong per se - the graphics were scaled down but not awful, and the gameplay was okay. But the main protaganist had no personality whatsoever, the driving was terrible, and the hacking was so boring, etc. Simply, it just wasn't fun for me - playing it was such a chore that I eventually just gave up on it.

In my opinion it didn't just fail to meet expectations, it also a bad game. Fortunately I had just bought Tomb Raider at the time
    I can't say a great deal of protagonists have a great deal of personality in many games, and you could argue that "the hacking is boring" is the same as saying "the shooting is boring", although I will admit that the driving [and hacking] could be a lot better, so horrible with KB+M.

ReputationRep:
    Given the hype surrounding it, and the sheer amount of time some of my friends are putting into it at the moment, I feel Dragon Age is in with a shout. But given that I haven't played it I can't vote for it.

Destiny was the game that pushed me to upgrade to a next-gen console. I enjoyed it at first, especially playing co-op, but once people began moving onto other games it quickly grew old and ultimately wound up being kind of a disappointment.

I'll go for Far Cry 4 I think. Very enjoyable game. Beautiful looking game world. I could spend hours on it without even really touching the main story missions. My favourite game since The Last Of Us.

ReputationRep:
    Far Cry 4.

I've loved all the Far Cry games. Even 2 - I can't get over how immersive its environment is. It took a while for me to get used to the unnaturally green grass of 3 after the toned-down beauty of Africa, but I loved it as well. I can't wait to explore more of 4.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    While FC4 is a decent game, and I wouldn't really complain if it won, it to me doesn't seem that deserving of the win, especially when compared to FC3. The game seemed, to me, lacking, especially towards the end. Implicit spoiler in the nature of game elements late in the game
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've noticed that the endings of games seem to be getting worse these days, several released this year, much to my disappointment, just being quick time events or something similarly poor after a large, but not at all challenging skirmish.

To me they did little to build on FC3, the environment in the south and the mountains may be as good as the whole of FC3, although I wouldn't say better, but the north, especially north east, imo, is pretty poor, and as Total Biscuit noted, the rocks could be A LOT better in that you get low res parts of them, and they are always where you climb and it just feels shoddy. Sure, they've increased the number of weapons, but not that well, the only new weapon that I actually like is the autocross, most of the others are about as good as their alternatives, or just stupidly OP [see ripper].

It also, to me, doesn't have the same staying power as some of the other games this year, I got it on release, played it between studies for a few days, and then because of some problems it was having when I OC'd my GPU to get a more stable >60fps I just didn't come back to it for a few weeks, while others would have me up until the small hours of the morning and up as soon as I woke up. The other trend I've noticed, and this is also a problem in this game, is just how short games are now, what was it, ~10 hours to get mostly completed incl stuff on the side. What happened to games [strategy aside] having several times that much to complete the game and then just as much on the side? Now even with RPGs we have to rely on modding to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see beyond SSB4 to be honest. The hype was unreal.

ReputationRep:
    Goat Sim for me. It's ridiculous, I've had loads of fun with it. Yeah, there are bigger and probably better, but none of them made me smile quite as much as Goat Sim.

ReputationRep:
    All of those games are average. 2014 was a terrible year for gaming.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my vote goes to Hearthstone - I don't know how a game made me spend >£400... I just love it to bits. I'm quite obsessed. Definitely going to get to legend rank next season.

ReputationRep:
    For me, Alien Isolation takes the prize because Creative Assembly did for Alien what Rocksteady did for Batman, they made a movie title transition perfectly into the confines of a game. This game was a work of art for me. Excellent visuals, especially on the PC at 4K. Brilliant design of levels, excellent attention to detail to keep the game as true to the original movie as much as possible and BRILLIANT AI. The Alien is a truly horrifying beast in this. It's kind of like Amnesia on steroids. And the thing that amazed me the most? This game came from a study who's sole focus has traditionally been exclusively on PC strategy games with the TW series. This game proved that they could make a game that scales well to consoles and it proved they could utilise their expertise in AI design to bring unique AI to different game genres. This game DESERVES a sequel. What would I have changed, I would have replaced Amanda's voice actor, she was a bit naff

ReputationRep:
    Ah DA:I or Dark souls 2, don't know which one to pick tbh they're both phenomenal games, I might just be tipping towards DA:I after spending a good 30 hours already on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Goat simulator Ftw.
    If Goat Simulator wins the vote, I'll be very happy .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've had to go for Titanfall. Visually stunning, it played very well and it brought something completely different to the FPS's I've played. Some of my friends said the titans killed the game, I've disagreed with them. What sadly let the game down was the absolutely massive maps with only 12 players in them. Battlefield gets away with the big maps with how many people can in the game at once - and the fact they make the maps smaller for the different game types.

ReputationRep:
    Stick of Truth for me from this lot, only a short game but absolutely fantastic story. Although I'm dissapointed Forza Horizon 2 hasn't made it to the finalists...

ReputationRep:
    I'll commit suicide if Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't get GOTY...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioclops)
    I'll commit suicide if Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't get GOTY...
    I'll hold you to that ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The game I've enjoyed the most is Hearthstone.

It's brought card games back into the mainstream view which is amazing.

Close runners up have to be Mario Kart and Smash.

Most other games this year have been pretty garbage.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.