Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Opening New Bank Account Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I have to open a new bank account due to moving, I want to open a Citigold account but obviously don't have the 75,000 requirement for free banking. So will they open an account for someone with say an initial deposit of 1000GBP or USD?

Does anyone have any experience of this, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by testing123test)
    Hi Everyone,

I have to open a new bank account due to moving, I want to open a Citigold account but obviously don't have the 75,000 requirement for free banking. So will they open an account for someone with say an initial deposit of 1000GBP or USD?

This is a UK forum. You would have better luck asking on a US one.

ReputationRep:
    I wish to open a Citigold account with Citibank UK not in the US. Sorry for any confusion.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

OK brace yourself, this is going to be a radical idea so I suggest that you take a seat so when the pure genius involved here knocks you off your feet you're not going to hurt yourself.

Are you ready?

Step 1 - Go on their website and find either a contact phone number or email address.
    Step 2 - Ring that phone number, or email their contact address, and ask them.

Seriously, how exactly are a bunch of students going to help you here? 99.99% of people on this forum won't have ever dealt with that particular bank and of the 0.01% that have the chances of any of them having dealt with the same situation you have is damn near zero, so any answers you do get will either be people taking a complete guess or just telling you what they have been able to see on that banks website.

ReputationRep:
    If you pay me £10.00 I could ring them for you and ask?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

"You may be able to open a Citigold Current Account and enjoy all the rewards and benefits associated with Citigold for a fee of just £25 a month, following a meeting with a Citigold Relationship Manager."

Expect them to direct you to a different type of citi account unless you have very rich relatives and/or excellent prospects.....

Hi Everyone,

Not going to happen, it used to be that you could open on and transfer £5,000 in and out to get the Gold benefits but now you need £75,000 which is too much to transfer £x in multiple times to trick the system.

If you deposit £1,000 you'll be laughed out, Citi in the UK are aiming to be a HNWI bank only now, the UK is doing too good and now basic banking services are being scaled back in favour of banking for (U)HNWI which is more profitable.

You'd be better off going for HSBC Advance or Club Lloyds.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.