Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Spurs v Manchester United 28/12 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why am i reading that Carrick had a bad game? Once again he was great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Manz on BT Sport trying to say Rooney's bearhug on Kane wasn't a penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths12345)
    So many things wrong with our performance. Especially in the 2nd half.

1. The defence ****ting themselves every time someone comes near them, and booting it up the pitch.
    2. Midfield, especially Carrick (as usual), with rubbish off the ball movement, not making any space for us to build from the back.

3. Falcao and RvP fluffing every single chance they got. Mata was brilliant today and laid several chances at their feet but they completely wasted everything. We need faster, more mobile strikers IMO.
    In bold: We weren't gonna be playing the ball from the back today, because of spurs pressing. Carrick produced some cracking balls whilst having a successful mission of tracking eriksen and keeping him silent.
    Towards the end we tried to revert back to our old style of playing the ball back slowly from the back, and we were found wanting.

ReputationRep:
    Fs I'm never going to watch us away from home ever again. I'd understand the draw if we didn't create chances but that was awful from our attack I'd say take falcao out of the team and bring in di Maria I wish I could take out van persie aswell he was utter dog ****. Only one win in our last 3 games now and we won't beat Stoke I guarantee you. f****** poverty football this is man. Ffs.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
    Doesn't even matter, our double agent Welbeck is doing his job of keeping you out the top four. Giroud out heuheuheu.
    Yeah man cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    It's good enough for both team personally, Spurs have a good record at OT the past few seasons and they're grinding out the results vs the midtable opposition.
    No its not good enough for Spurs they want top 4, they are on 31 points which isn't a comfortable position, they have got Chelsea next week so that is probably another 3 points they will drop. We have a really poor record against Spurs worst in nearly a decade, but no reason they have a better chance at OT than in their own back yard today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
    In bold: We weren't gonna be playing the ball from the back today, because of spurs pressing. Carrick produced some cracking balls whilst having a successful mission of tracking eriksen and keeping him silent.
    Towards the end we tried to revert back to our old style of playing the ball back slowly from the back, and we were found wanting.
    He did well marking Eriksen but when we were on the ball his movement was abysmal. You can't just have midfielders doing defensive work and ignoring the attacking side. Xavi, Busquets, Kroos, Schweinsteiger etc. would have no problem making space to build from the back even against pressing sides.

And since when did top teams change their game plan to "hoof it up" when they face pressing sides? They're not even very good at pressing either. Barca, Bayern or Real would have scored loads of goals today because of Spurs high line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    Not our best player = shocking? Mata played well.
    Disagree.

Didn't really influence the game as well as I've seen him do at Chelsea. Don't think he was that amazing. Also missed a glorious opportunity in the second half. Nobody was really good in the second half from your team though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    No its not good enough for Spurs they want top 4, they are on 31 points which isn't a comfortable position, they have got Chelsea next week so that is probably another 3 points they will drop. We have a really poor record against Spurs worst in nearly a decade, but no reason they have a better chance at OT than in their own back yard today.
    70 points will be enough for top 4 I feel, so because of this Spurs will need to add ten points to their first half total as tbh they're going to be thrashed on new years day. I don't think that's too much of an ask with a new manager and a new team that have progressed as the season has gone on to grinding results out vs the smaller teams away and getting good results at home.

Feasibly they could win their next 4 games after Chelsea and the perspective is a whole lot different in the top 4 equation.

ReputationRep:
    He did well marking Eriksen but when we were on the ball his movement was abysmal. You can't just have midfielders doing defensive work and ignoring the attacking side. Xavi, Busquets, Kroos, Schweinsteiger etc. would have no problem making space to build from the back even against pressing sides.

And since when did top teams change their game plan to "hoof it up" when they face pressing sides? They're not even very good at pressing either. Barca, Bayern or Real would have scored loads of goals today because of Spurs high line.
    Carrick had to accommodate for Ashley Young, Rooney, Valencia, Mata, RVP and Falcao in the team and a back 3 including a complete Noob in McNair. Of course he's going to have to stay back more.

ReputationRep:
    Carrick had to accommodate for Ashley Young, Rooney, Valencia, Mata, RVP and Falcao in the team and a back 3 including a complete Noob in McNair. Of course he's going to have to stay back more.
    The 2 aren't mutually exclusive IMO. Sure Carrick needs to stay back more but he can still create space with clever movement like Xavi or Busquets do at Barca.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Why am i reading that Carrick had a bad game? Once again he was great.
    He wasn't great, he was awful. The way he gave the ball away in the middle for that Spurs chance was poor. They were all awful today. Mata was really awful. And don't get me started on Falcao...

ReputationRep:
    The 2 aren't mutually exclusive IMO. Sure Carrick needs to stay back more but he can still create space with clever movement like Xavi or Busquets do at Barca.
    That is true but they rely on the movement of the other players, the movement of Busquetts requires the movement of the others in front of him being great as well. When you have so many forward players that is very hard. We're talking a Matic type DM who can contribute to all phases of play in central midfield or a Schweinsteigger but that's very rare to find.

It wasn't a balanced tactic at all and I'm pretty sure Van Gaal gave him those instructions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    HurriKANE still impressed me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    That is true but they rely on the movement of the other players, the movement of Busquetts requires the movement of the others in front of him being great as well. When you have so many forward players that is very hard. We're talking a Matic type DM who can contribute to all phases of play in central midfield or a Schweinsteigger but that's very rare to find.

It wasn't a balanced tactic at all and I'm pretty sure Van Gaal gave him those instructions.
    touche

ReputationRep:
    edit wrong thread

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 1, 2015
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.