Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    follow-up thread to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2999285

I have for a while believed that one of the things fuelling my anxiety/depression and general low self-esteem at present is a sense of stasis in a child-like state. It was hinted at by several counsellors that I had a co-dependent relationship with people, particularly my mother who I saw as holding me back in life, when she was also (and remains, along with my dad) my main emotional support and confidante. Several people advised me to move out, including my older brother, as this would be initially very difficult but eventually pay off for my confidence and independence. I unfortunately didn't take up his advice and so I'm stuck in a similar position to where I was, 3 years ago. (Progress in that my anxiety has reduced so that I am not constantly sleep-deprived and full-blown paranoid, but I still have abnormally high levels of anxiety and worry, difficulty handling stress, and social anxiety).

I'm 22 now and it feels like everyone is growing up quicker than me. The wake-up call was my ex leaving me. My brother has lived away for 6 years now, is doing his phD, runs an opera company and has a girlfriend. My sister is a single mum looking after my niece. My friends have mostly moved out, got jobs, made lots of friends at uni, etc. I feel like I've failed basically. More than ever I feel like sometime in the next few years I have to leave the nest to get out of this existential rut!

Anybody else struggle leaving home? Was it all emotional, all practical, a bit of both…?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of the issues that you've mentioned in your previous thread. I did move out for uni (this was pre-Autism diagnosis, which probably didn't help me) and struggled a lot. A lot of it was the practical side.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.