Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am looking to pursue a career in screenwriting, but would like advice as to the best courses/uni for it?

    For example, would it be better to do a Screenwriting course at somewhere like Bournemouth, or a Combined English/Film honours at somewhere like Salford?

    I am in AS, doing History, English Combined, Film Studies and Music, considering dropping Music at the end of the year.

    Any advice whatsoever greatly appreciated, thanks!

    For something such as screenwriting, it would be equally as beneficial to build up a portfolio.

    You dont need a degree to write.

    Lots of people think you do - but actually no-one can 'teach' you how to write and no film company or agent will pay any special attention to your script submission because you have a degree.

    A far, far better route is either to get an apprenticeship/unskilled job in any area of film/TV (http://www.myfirstjobinfilm.co.uk/entrypositions.html or http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/trainee...pprenticeships) and get general experience of what this industry really is all about, write in your spare time and show the results to people you are working with. How many people do you know who had a stellar script writing career straight from a Uni course? None.

    OR. Do a general degree in a mainstream subject, and make films/write etc whilst at Uni (there will be lots of ops regardless of what degree you do) and then follow the apprenticeship/job angle as abov.

    OR do a postgrad course in screenwriting further down the track. Having a general first degree will always mean you have something to fall back on if the screenwriting doesn't work out - or you simply change your mind.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2014
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.