Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The Indian Ocean and Tsunami 10 year anniversary Watch

• TSR Support Team

It was one if not the worst natural disaster to hit the world when the 9.1 undersea earthquake and following it the Tsunami that hit several countries off the Indian ocean killing over 200,000 people. I never forget the shock when I came home and put the news on to find out the horror that had happened. How many of you remember this disaster?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30602159

ReputationRep:
    Was it ten years ago?

It seemed like a few years ago.

I still remeber it quite vividly.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Was it ten years ago?

It seemed like a few years ago.

I still remeber it quite vividly.
    Yeah 2004 Boxing Day, yeah just remember seeing the scenes on TV, just total devastation.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching it on the news when i was younger. It is sad that it often takes a large disaster like this to make the world respond and put measures in place that would reduce the risk should such an event happen again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I remember seeing it on the news but not really taking in the magnitude of the damage because I was a little too young.

Needless to say, the damage was colossal and the recovery has been nothing but an uphill struggle. The fact this natural disaster killed more than 200,000 people is so hard to swallow. As tgwktm said, the best thing the world can do to help is help give the islands around the Indian Ocean better protection and the technology to foresee this kind of natural diaster sooner than they did a decade ago. Training people to properly understand natural geography topics like tectonics could do a world of good.
    • TSR Support Team

It has been heartening though some of the stories the fact they managed to bounce back and rebuild and some parts where there was some conflict, there is now no longer any fighting. Big concern is what can you do when mother nature strikes like this, some way there is no way of warning. The west coast of America and Canada I fear though will be next, they are overdue a mega earthquake.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Lessons have been learnt from this event. There is now a dedicated warnign system to earthquakes that could trigger tsunamis for the indian ocean and individual countries have also set up their own systems of prevention, and preparation for another tsunami. Simple things like educating people on how to react in the event of another tsunami by setting up evacuation routes and doing tsunami drills to practice this. There are also several towers built along some coastal areas for people to go to if they haven't got enough time to evacuate to hgiher ground.

These measures should reduce the number of deaths in another tsunami but it is hard to reduce the amount of economic and social damage- it is impossible to stop the tsunami happening completely so all we can do is dampen the risk as much as we can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by tgwktm)
    Lessons have been learnt from this event. There is now a dedicated warnign system to earthquakes that could trigger tsunamis for the indian ocean and individual countries have also set up their own systems of prevention, and preparation for another tsunami. Simple things like educating people on how to react in the event of another tsunami by setting up evacuation routes and doing tsunami drills to practice this. There are also several towers built along some coastal areas for people to go to if they haven't got enough time to evacuate to hgiher ground.

These measures should reduce the number of deaths in another tsunami but it is hard to reduce the amount of economic and social damage- it is impossible to stop the tsunami happening completely so all we can do is dampen the risk as much as we can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That was the big problem when this quake happened in 2004 followed by the tsumani, I admit I had never even knew what one was until this had happened. Obviously now a lot of places are bringing a warning system in. Especially some experts saying the West coast of America and Canada is due a big earthquake off the coast.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    That was the big problem when this quake happened in 2004 followed by the tsumani, I admit I had never even knew what one was until this had happened. Obviously now a lot of places are bringing a warning system in. Especially some experts saying the West coast of America and Canada is due a big earthquake off the coast.
    Education i the reduction of risk is key, if you can remove as many people from a hazard as possible then the risk will reduce. An earthquake/tsunami/volcanic eruption that happens in an area with no people is a hazard with little to no risk. Warning systems and even just more coverage will help prevent the scale of the 2004 disaster, once people know they can take steps to prote t themselves. A lot of places around the world are at risk of rare events such as tsunamis, america but also the UK to some extent, even thouh we see very little tectonic activity we have had tsunamis in the past, one struck scotland hundreds of years ago and there was one that was funneled up the bristol channel in the 1600's- it killed thousands then, when the population was smaller ,areas like the somerset levels would be at great risk. However if that happened again despite the greater population in high risk areas, it could be argued thzt damage could be proportionally lower due to how much more advancex we are in our understanding and preparation than then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.