Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Graduated from a Russell Group university and still can't get a job? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Russell Group doesn't mean anything.

Number 1, Is it Oxbridge, LSE or QMUL, Liverpool?

Number 2, what career are you looking to enter?

Number 3, why should someone hire you?

It means his university had a large research budget. That's all it means, but it does mean something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    It means his university had a large research budget. That's all it means, but it does mean something.
    This notion of "because I go to a university branded as part of russel group, I somehow deserve a job." No doubt some of them are very good highly reputed universities but I feel somehow students are misled to believe that going to x university will gaurantee your success in life. I've clocked on to the realities of the graduate job market much early on but this mindset needs to be eradicated from young minds.

Some people don't even say what university they go to.. just that it's 'Russell Group', maybe hoping people will believe that it's Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial or it's 'on par' with such institutions. Regardless, the reality is there's much more to getting a good job than a 2:1 degree (from most universities for that matter).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fidus Achates)
    It's going to have a focus on education but be delivered online pretty much. Not going to go into it much more than that because I'd be giving away the USP. Good stuff. Do you run your own business? Shame so many on here are negative when it comes to entrepreneurialism and desire to work to ensure others become rich. I'd rather become rich myself.
    It's a risk though, if the bank goes to enforce its security they do so by unleashing the dogs of war on the company and its directors, who've usually given personal guarantees. Even if they haven't most SMEs, and even some small PLCs will breach various Insolvency Act or Companies Act rules on a daily basis, and banks will use that to go after the Ds' personal assets.

ReputationRep:
    It's a risk though, if the bank goes to enforce its security they do so by unleashing the dogs of war on the company and its directors, who've usually given personal guarantees. Even if they haven't most SMEs, and even some small PLCs will breach various Insolvency Act or Companies Act rules on a daily basis, and banks will use that to go after the Ds' personal assets.
    I won't be using the bank. I've raised and I'm currently raising my own capital to start up around this time next year.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to have a focus on education but be delivered online pretty much. Not going to go into it much more than that because I'd be giving away the USP. Good stuff. Do you run your own business? Shame so many on here are negative when it comes to entrepreneurialism and desire to work to ensure others become rich. I'd rather become rich myself.
    I'm trying a few things but I don't know how to get funding etc. I've made others rich and then been kicked out of the job when I was no longer needed, also I get patronised because of baby face / having individual thought and can't conform (dangerous to them) so I'm interested in bypassing the often thick, out of date employers out there who just employ their relatives / friends and doing my own thing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    This notion of "because I go to a university branded as part of russel group, I somehow deserve a job." No doubt some of them are very good highly reputed universities but I feel somehow students are misled to believe that going to x university will gaurantee your success in life. I've clocked on to the realities of the graduate job market much early on but this mindset needs to be eradicated from young minds.

Some people don't even say what university they go to.. just that it's 'Russell Group', maybe hoping people will believe that it's Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial or it's 'on par' with such institutions. Regardless, the reality is there's much more to getting a good job than a 2:1 degree (from most universities for that matter).
    True, though grad level I found Oxbrdge on the CV meant you had to spectacularly deficient in other ways not to get some offers. Post first year though no one cares, aside from the benefit of knowing lots of people in certain fields.

ReputationRep:

Who has said that going to a RG university guarantees you a good job? I think of that young brat Oxford graduate who grovelled online for 26k to get others to pay for her masters because she couldn't get a job for 4 years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I won't be using the bank. I've raised and I'm currently raising my own capital to start up around this time next year.
    No, but most do (or VCs who are even worse). Are the people giving you the cash with no security? Fair play if you've convinced them to do it, but to be blunt they're idiots, nothing to stop you ditching the business and just ****ing off with their money.

ReputationRep:
    No, but most do (or VCs who are even worse). Are the people giving you the cash with no security? Fair play if you've convinced them to do it, but to be blunt they're idiots, nothing to stop you ditching the business and just ****ing off with their money.
    Nobody is giving me the cash. I've raised it myself through previous business ventures and living well within my means. I don't want money from anyone else. I went to the banks, wasn't worth it. I don't want outstanding liabilities from day one if the reward isn't going to compensate taking that on.

Most do, because they don't do planning or are reluctant to make sacrifices to pursue their true passion. People live for today and love to spend money when they have it. Work 9-5 Monday to Friday and then party hard on the weekend to unwind. Others save that money for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollywood Hogan)
    Who has said that going to a RG university guarantees you a good job? I think of that young brat Oxford graduate who grovelled online for 26k to get others to pay for her masters because she couldn't get a job for 4 years.
    Your title would connote that coming from a RG without a job is something out of the ordinary whilst you exclude all the relevant things necessary to even land a job in the first place. I read the article, I think it was a good move on her behalf. Raising 26k in itself is something that an employer would see as impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iama)
    Yes, whenever anyone posts a (general) question they always assume he/she in that situation or he/she is projecting lord knows how :rolleyes: Because curiosity and interesting subjects don't exist :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just wanted to say that (and I'm sure there must be people having trouble finding a job even in that situation)
    It's a fair assumption to make, indeed the title wording was misleading us orecisely to that incorrect conclusion.

'[I] graduated from.an RG uni and [I] still.can't get a job?'

Vs.

'[If I hypothetically were to have] graduated from an RG uni and [I] still can't get a job?

Which is the logical mental short cut when such questions are

i) potential immediate threats for the current student demographic [i.e. more likely to be real than hypothetical]?

ii) this particular forum.is primarily reserved for personal job enquiries and advice?

ReputationRep:
    Your title would connote that coming from a RG without a job is something out of the ordinary whilst you exclude all the relevant things necessary to even land a job in the first place. I read the article, I think it was a good move on her behalf. Raising 26k in itself is something that an employer would see as impressive.
    Really? What did she do beyond create a dreary grovelling video begging for money? Impressed employers? She has never worked for 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Really? What did she do beyond create a dreary grovelling video begging for money? Impressed employers? She has never worked for 4 years.
    May be she could work for not-for-profit organisations as a fund raiser?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    May be she could work for not-for-profit organisations as a fund raiser?
    By dancing through hoops?

ReputationRep:
    By dancing through hoops?
    Hey, she managed to raise £26,000 or thereabouts through a ****ing video, so that someone else could pay for her education, despite having been unemployed for 4 years, after graduating with a ****ing degree. She evidently has the skill of fund raising.

Credit where credit is due.

Whether she deserved that money, however, is another question altogether, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Hey, she managed to raise £26,000 or thereabouts through a ****ing video, so that someone else could pay for her education, despite having been unemployed for 4 years, after graduating with a ****ing degree. She evidently has the skill of fund raising.

Credit where credit is due.

Whether she deserved that money, however, is another question altogether, in my opinion.
    Don't you think her family and friends donated generously to get the ball rolling? These online fundraising websites don't work unless you get half raised yourself. Only then to strangers bother to pay up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confident her looks played a huge part in fundraising 26k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loloway)
    I'm confident her looks played a huge part in fundraising 26k.
    She wasn't ugly, but a hard pressed 7 IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    It's a fair assumption to make, indeed the title wording was misleading us orecisely to that incorrect conclusion.

'[I] graduated from.an RG uni and [I] still.can't get a job?'

Vs.

'[If I hypothetically were to have] graduated from an RG uni and [I] still can't get a job?

Which is the logical mental short cut when such questions are

i) potential immediate threats for the current student demographic [i.e. more likely to be real than hypothetical]?

ii) this particular forum.is primarily reserved for personal job enquiries and advice?
    Not really, it feels like a question directed at someone. It reminds me of commercials and advertisements.
    You're right when you say it's because of the nature of this forum, but it's still unsightly imo and if the OP asks us a question we shouldn't try to make it all about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iama)
    Not really, it feels like a question directed at someone. It reminds me of commercials and advertisements.
    You're right when you say it's because of the nature of this forum, but it's still unsightly imo and if the OP asks us a question we shouldn't try to make it all about them.
    meh, we agree to disagree?

Ah, you read this as a rhetorical question , that's why

The only thing unsightly is the slightly lazy use of the English language, but I have seen worse roflcoptor

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.