Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Choosing the right guitar Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

I'm in a band playing co lead guitar and have been doing grades. I've been playing for 6 years but I still own a Chinese made starter guitar. I am definitely the shredding type and into Ibanez guitars. I have been looking at the premium range because I have a tight budget. (Teenage kid paying for it himself. I know a lot of you know what I'm on about.) The problem is the guitars I want still cost like a good 1K and I don't want to buy an Indonesian built guitar for that much if the craftmanship is slap dash. Can anyone tell me about these guitars and if there are any possible alternatives?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather, simply being made in a "third world country" does not necessarily mean it is a bad guitar. What matters for shred type guitarists seems to be the neck quality, for which even low end Ibanez and Jackson guitars are generally considered very good. Things like the pickups and bridge can usually be modified after purchase if you don't like the standard models.

If you buy something for less than ~£200 then don't expect the craftmanship to be top notch, but paying more than say £300 ought to get you something of a good quality. As with ALL guitars - you need to play it yourself before buying it. Sometimes what should be a crappy guitar might turn out to be very playable and what should be a very expensive guitar just might not work for your playing style - every guitar is different even if they're made by a machine.

I suggest going to your locals Dawsons (or similar) and asking to try a few Ibanez and Jackson guitars on a good amp (preferably the same amp you have at home). Sometimes they'll put you on a crappy Line6 transistor amp - ask for something better and they'll always oblige in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I am definitely into those kinds of guitars. But seeing how long I have been stuck with a starter guitar I want a higher spec guitar than a £300 Ibanez or Jackson. More into the better quality guitars. Any advice on the ESP guitar range? The ones with Floyd Rose bridges.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I am not a guitarist; but I was given some good advice a while back:
    - go into a shop wth a realistic budget in mind and play with a few
    - you'll need decent strings
    - I was told (well, he was trying to justify why he paid so much...) that it's worth paying quite a bit for something that will last you several years
    - expensive isn't always better

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but these are things I already know. I want to know about the specific guitars I'm on about.

ReputationRep:
    I have experience with ESP's LTD range. They're good quality for the money, I have a GUS G 600 with a Floyd Rose.
    I don't know why you would be unhappy with Ibanez or Jackson. They make some very good guitars.

Here are some suggestions for your shred guitar though:
    - Matte neck will be faster to play
    - Neck through would be good to give you access to the higher frets
    - Buy the one you play in store, don't accept one out the warehouse. Every guitar is different and you could find a nice one in a cheap range.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've seen some ESP LTDs and I'm definitely intruiged. Neck through guitars are a bit harder to come buy within my budget. Ibanez use bolt ons with "ultra access necks". The problem with a lot of ESP guitars is that the necks are lacquered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaki Hendrix)
    Thanks. I've seen some ESP LTDs and I'm definitely intruiged. Neck through guitars are a bit harder to come buy within my budget. Ibanez use bolt ons with "ultra access necks". The problem with a lot of ESP guitars is that the necks are lacquered.
    That's right. My LTD has a lacquered neck. Ibanez does some nice matte necks, but the neck heels are quite big.
    Have you looked at the second hand market? It's worth doing, since everything comes down in price to about 50%, and you don't tend to loose money when you sell on gear.

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at the second hand market but considering how long I have spent playing a Chinese made starter guitar, I think it is only fair if I get myself a brand new guitar which I can then modify. The problem with ESPs are that they mainly use active pickups. I won't have much space to put another circuit in for a Fernandes sustainer kit. The complications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaki Hendrix)
    I have looked at the second hand market but considering how long I have spent playing a Chinese made starter guitar, I think it is only fair if I get myself a brand new guitar which I can then modify. The problem with ESPs are that they mainly use active pickups. I won't have much space to put another circuit in for a Fernandes sustainer kit. The complications.
    Shechter sell guitars with Fernandes in them stock.

Or you could buy an actual Fernandes guitar.

I haven't seen many ESPs with active pickups actually, most I've seen are passive Duncans.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen the Schecter guitars. Still not into EMGs. I also don't know how they'll sound with gauge 13 strings. Would rather use passive pickups like Seymour Duncan's or Dimarzios.

And yeah ESPs do a lot of active guitars. They are very much into EMG pickups. I like Ibanez and Jacksons because they use 5 blade selectors with passive pickups. EMGs are more metal.

By the way, you ever played a Schecter?

ReputationRep:
    I own a Chinese Les Paul Custom copy by Epiphone, and honestly can't fault it. Upgrade the pick-ups and strings, and you're in business. Be sure to check over any guitar thoroughly when buying though, and this will solve any quality worries. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I own a Yamaha Pacifica. I can fault many things. Especially its unstable tuning. I play my teacher's Telecaster and I remember what a nice guitar sounds like.

And yeah I will thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the Epiphone Les Pauls are very good, especially the Korean ones. I have a Chinese one and my Dad has a Korean custom. I wouldn't call them a "copy" either, they might as well be the real deal. Some of the Epiphones are nicer than the Gibsons, the name is only a general guide. Still, they're not really well suited to what the OP asked for. They do a good metal sound with some good pickups, but not well suited to shredding. Big neck joint, lacquered neck, 24.75" scale, fat neck...

I've played one Schecter. It wasn't remarkably good or bad, but the licensed Floyd Rose was evidently a bit rubbish because it snapped the strings at the bridge while I was playing on it. I can't tell you anything else about Schecter since that is the limit of my experience. It was about a £500 guitar.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.