Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do I mention the title and the author? or just the title?

ReputationRep:
    title and author, some books can have same title maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You should say both so something like 'I have read 'Divergent' by Veronica Roth' (or just surname). Remember quotation marks around the title

ReputationRep:
    What about online courses? Do I mention the university providing the course or just the name of the course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadir Gamer)
    What about online courses? Do I mention the university providing the course or just the name of the course?
    If they are in your Education section then you can leave the name. If they are not (like you've just watched lectures) then mention the university. If you didn't complete any qualifications I wouldn't mention the name of the course tho, unless you are planning on completing it. So you could say something like 'I have watched lectures on macroeconomics from LSE' for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    If they are in your Education section then you can leave the name. If they are not (like you've just watched lectures) then mention the university. If you didn't complete any qualifications I wouldn't mention the name of the course tho, unless you are planning on completing it. So you could say something like 'I have watched lectures on macroeconomics from LSE' for example
    Really? I attended a lecture by Boris Johnson at LSE and just mentioned the name, not LSE. Partly because I wasn't applying there, and partly because the admission tutors of the universities I've applied to were aware of my Extra curricular activities (I've attended a lot of politics events and so I've met many admission tutors at the events) so I felt like I could save the characters.

Nevertheless, didn't think it was that important to mention the university where the lectures took place.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Really? I attended a lecture by Boris Johnson at LSE and just mentioned the name, not LSE. Partly because I wasn't applying there, and partly because the admission tutors of the universities I've applied to were aware of my Extra curricular activities (I've attended a lot of politics events and so I've met many admission tutors at the events) so I felt like I could save the characters.

Nevertheless, didn't think it was that important to mention the university where the lectures took place.
    That's a bit different cos he's not a lecturer. It doesn't matter if you mention other unis for going to lectures/doing courses (not open days) cos unis will know that you won't be able to go to most, it'll just tend to be local unis that you can go to things at.

ReputationRep:
    OK great.

I took and completed an online course from the University of California, Berkeley.

I find the name of the institution a bit too long, and it's often referred to as UC Berkeley or simply Berkeley. But I thought it may be inappropriate to use those shortcuts in the PS.

Is it OK or do I have to spell out the whole name?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just put the name of it in your education section and then say in your PS something like 'the xxxxx course I completed'

ReputationRep:
    Do I mention the title and the author? or just the title?
    I got the impression that it's all very well listing books, but you are expected to reflect on what you have read. All this takes up a lot of space on your personal statement, which is probably already too long and needs cutting down, so I just didn't bother listing specific books, just mentioned that I had read a number. If you get called for interview, you can expand on it then.
    best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I could not fully understand your question. If you are referring to how to reference academic books, the following info could be of value
    There are different referencing systems for instance the Oxford system
    Example referencing books with one author
    The surname and initials of the author first Add the title of the book. The the Publisher (sometimes with a reference to the country. Lastly, add the Date. Pay attention to the punctuation e.g. comma, full stop; etc. for example:
    Bryman, Alan. Social research methods. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford university press, 2008.

Books with more than one author; quotations from journals; etc. are even more difficult!
    For more examples visit the following sites:
    http://www.ub.umu.se/en/write/refere...erences-oxford
    http://latrobe.libguides.com/content...46&sid=1240040

Search for similar sites and practice these examples with your own titles
    Hope I interpreted you question correctly!

ReputationRep:
    Just put the name of it in your education section and then say in your PS something like 'the xxxxx course I completed'
    I'd like to ask a question here:

Do online courses really belong in the education section?

Even though I completed the course and got a certificate, I feel that it doesn't really belong there and especially when it's just a an honor code certificate.

Also, I'm applying directly to the university and the name of the course isn't listed in their education section.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's not an option then I guess it will have to go in your PS or get your referee to mention it

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's not an option then I guess it will have to go in your PS or get your referee to mention it
    So back to the first question.. how do I best name the university?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So back to the first question.. how do I best name the university?
    Proper name

ReputationRep:
    You should say both so something like 'I have read 'Divergent' by Veronica Roth' (or just surname). Remember quotation marks around the title
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but just touching up my PS one more time before I send it off on Monday

You know the word ''realise'', its not with a 'z' is it....thats the american version right, because spellcheck keeps correcting it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but just touching up my PS one more time before I send it off on Monday

You know the word ''realise'', its not with a 'z' is it....thats the american version right, because spellcheck keeps correcting it?
    Yes, spelling it with a 'z' is the American way. For some reason tho, even the English (UK) dictionary on Word likes to spell words with a 'z'
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask a question here:

Do online courses really belong in the education section?

Even though I completed the course and got a certificate, I feel that it doesn't really belong there and especially when it's just a an honor code certificate.

Also, I'm applying directly to the university and the name of the course isn't listed in their education section.
    If you're referring to something like Coursera, then it doesn't belong in your education section

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If you're referring to something like Coursera, then it doesn't belong in your education section

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes exactly, I'll just touch on it briefly in PS

Yes, spelling it with a 'z' is the American way. For some reason tho, even the English (UK) dictionary on Word likes to spell words with a 'z'
    American spelling is indeed with 'z'. But doesn't British usage accept both and only prefers the 's'?
    I mean it's not totally wrong to spell it with 'z', is it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I mean it's hardly going to be something to reject you over, but if you are aware of that then spell it with a 's'. Don't sweat the really small stuff like this and focus on the content of the PS and getting that right

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.