Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    anyone got a better word for 'fascinating'. just reading my PS one more time before its sent off tomorrow and i have used that word like twice :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    anyone got a better word for 'fascinating'. just reading my PS one more time before its sent off tomorrow and i have used that word like twice :/
    You're right to avoid that word as it is overused and cliched. However, it is best to imply that it fascinated you, rather than say it did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You're right to avoid that word as it is overused and cliched. However, it is best to imply that it fascinated you, rather than say it did
    hmm yeah thats true

finding this part hard!

ReputationRep:
    hmm yeah thats true

finding this part hard!
    Try a thesaurus online :-

What is another word for fascinating?

What's another word for fascinating? Here's a list of synonyms for this word.

[TD="width: 320"]Adjective
    captivating, charming, attractive, enthralling, mesmerizing, interesting, absorbing, intriguing, beguiling, appealing, alluring, enticing, spellbinding, enchanting, riveting, compelling, delightful, engaging, engrossing, glamorous, gripping, bewitching, ravishing, seducing, delectable, irresistible, seductive, siren
    [/TD]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZ_97)
    Try a thesaurus online :-

What is another word for fascinating?

What's another word for fascinating? Here's a list of synonyms for this word.

[TD="width: 320"]Adjective
    captivating, charming, attractive, enthralling, mesmerizing, interesting, absorbing, intriguing, beguiling, appealing, alluring, enticing, spellbinding, enchanting, riveting, compelling, delightful, engaging, engrossing, glamorous, gripping, bewitching, ravishing, seducing, delectable, irresistible, seductive, siren
    [/TD]

lol in context

ReputationRep:
    Just reading my PS for the 100th time....

Is it 'my recent studies of G&Politics' or 'study'.....?

ReputationRep:

"...studies in..."
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

As above but don't shotten it like that. Tbh it's not the best wording anyway and subject names should be small letters unless naming the qualification

ReputationRep:
    As above but don't shotten it like that. Tbh it's not the best wording anyway and subject names should be small letters unless naming the qualification
    Yeah thanks
    Im going to look at that tonight...my ucas is being sent off on thursday so still have time to make corrections
    So change the wording order right?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks
    Im going to look at that tonight...my ucas is being sent off on thursday so still have time to make corrections
    So change the wording order right?
    Not so much the order, but see if you can word it in another way, although it's not necessary to mention your A Levels at all really

ReputationRep:
    Not so much the order, but see if you can word it in another way, although it's not necessary to mention your A Levels at all really
    i was told you should have a paragraph in your PS about the a-levels you have done linking to the course you want to study at uni...
    I have read loads of people have done this as well? Kinda worried now

ReputationRep:
    i was told you should have a paragraph in your PS about the a-levels you have done linking to the course you want to study at uni...
    you would want to demonstrate your interest in the university course and so I would have said its natural to refer to your A levels in some way
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary cos most of the time applicants will be doing similar a Levels and the admissions tutors will know what the courses involve so you won't be telling them anything new. It's best to focus on your interest in the course outside of school cos that will be more unique to you

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary cos most of the time applicants will be doing similar a Levels and the admissions tutors will know what the courses involve so you won't be telling them anything new. It's best to focus on your interest in the course outside of school cos that will be more unique to you
    Though this is true, writing about your subjects shouldn't hinder you in anyway

Most applicants do it, and admission tutors know that most schools recommend it to students.

I want to study Politics and wrote about how studying politics and another book I read link, and how economics brought to attention the financial problems faced, whilst ICT and my visit to Parliament for a digital democracy talk link.

OP: it's really about how you word it tbh. Don't just say "XYZ taught me...". Show what you did after it taught you that, like links to books, podcasts etc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Though this is true, writing about your subjects shouldn't hinder you in anyway

Most applicants do it, and admission tutors know that most schools recommend it to students.

I want to study Politics and wrote about how studying politics and another book I read link, and how economics brought to attention the financial problems faced, whilst ICT and my visit to Parliament for a digital democracy talk link.

OP: it's really about how you word it tbh. Don't just say "XYZ taught me...". Show what you did after it taught you that, like links to books, podcasts etc
    Most applicants do it, but that doesn't mean it's recommended. It is a waste of characters. I reviewed over 1000 PSs when the PS Help service was open, and I can't recall a single statement where the A Level paragraph added anything important

ReputationRep:
    Most applicants do it, but that doesn't mean it's recommended. It is a waste of characters. I reviewed over 1000 PSs when the PS Help service was open, and I can't recall a single statement where the A Level paragraph added anything important
    In that case, you are more experienced than me!
    I wish I was given this advice when writing mine because I was told that you have to do it to make yourself sound academic, and I ended up sacrificing my relevant extra curricular for it (ones which are relevant to politics).

Although, I did manage to link everything in to activities and extra reading so I think it turned out okay for me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    In that case, you are more experienced than me!
    I wish I was given this advice when writing mine because I was told that you have to do it to make yourself sound academic, and I ended up sacrificing my relevant extra curricular for it (ones which are relevant to politics).

Although, I did manage to link everything in to activities and extra reading so I think it turned out okay for me.
    It's (un)surprising that schools and colleges don't really know what to advise for PSs for uni. That's why TSR has worked hard to gets lots of good resources

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.